Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM

216 posts, read 258,931 times

Advertisements

I find it fascinating how people are driven out into the suburbs (north county) and pay absurdly high HOA/Mello Roos fees on top of already high property taxes so they can get their kids into what are commonly viewed as the best schools which are given rankings from what my understanding are based only on test scores.

A friend who is a teacher (not in SD, Bay Area) was telling me there's a lot of politics involved and sometimes more "prestigious" schools funnel their special ed kids into other schools which bring down said schools rankings, and that a school ranked as a 7 isn't necessarily worse than a 9 or a 10.

I'm curious to hear from people who are more familiar with SD County's school systems as to how accurate these rankings actually are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
The scores shown online are absolutely NOT accurate. Scores are designed to compare "like" districts (in the state), i.e. those cities that have similar demographics, and then adjust down for the percentage of children who receive free lunch. Only THEN are scores considered against these data.

For example, in my district, the demographics are similar to some of the highest income areas in the state. However, most people here are mainly upper middle class high income earners (and fewer upper class persons), we are not extraordinarily wealthy as is the case with areas with similar school demographics. In other words, it is skewed.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
I don't think there is a discernible difference between a 7 and a 9. Schools getting 2s and 3s are getting them for a reason, though. Better to look at it as broad swaths rather than 10 scientific tiers of schooling.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,698 times
I also don't really think "moving to the suburbs" is accurate for SD. Most of SD is pretty much a suburb or closer to a suburb than a city. So people don't really move to Carmel Valley over Downtown.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,027 times
I'd say they're accurate, but misleading. Just like someone else said, the difference between a 10 and an 8 can be very small. Our school is the lowest ranked of the district, but we love it and our kids are learning what they should be and overall, state and nationwide, it's still well above average in terms of API, etc. It's just in a high performing district.
That said, if your home school is a 2, I'd so some checking.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,698 times
I also think people need to visit the school, sit in on classrooms, talk to other parents in the neighborhood, talk to teachers and education leaders, etc. There are some good school districts where the teacher to student ratio is 30:1. I find that the better schools, regardless of ranking, usually have fewer students to teachers. Or one school near me has 15-20 kids per 1 teacher plus assistant teachers in that same classroom.

I would look at student to teacher ratio, does the school have volunteers, does the school have money? How long have the teachers been at that school? Do other parents volunteer, get involved? Are there kids just left along all the time or do they have parents actively involved?

There are some schools that are good, but are in areas without all the wealthy people, can't afford to buy certain equipment. I know a few schools that are good schools, but have no budget to buy anything now. While there are other schools that give kids chromebooks or tablets or have new computer labs. Things like that matter more than some ranking.

I think people should do far more research on the school compared to just going by a ranking they found on a website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego