Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:03 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,543,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I looked up Lakeside and it says the high was 97 there, whoa, that still seems awfully hot to me. But it's not Phoenix hot I guess. Maybe it's Temecula hot. At least it cools down at night, that's for sure. On the East Coast, it refused to cool down. I hated it.
Our house catches a great breeze from the little valley down the hill, so its not unpleasant when in the shade. I would take 97 dry versus 82 with humidity any day of the week. In Texas where I am from, the humidity can be suffocating at times, it drives me crazy. SoCal is pleasant to me wether by the coast, inland, or mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:13 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,485,153 times
I didn't mind the dry heat, but tonight the humidity has gone way up where I'm at and my apartment is still warm from the day's heating. No breeze. Wonderful.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 AM

371 posts, read 637,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
my 3 year old daughters bed sheets are bloody from nose-bleed (I notice she gets bloody noses every time there is a Santa Ana)
Oh, yeah, this used to happen to me when I was a little kid, too. It's probably just the dry air affecting nasal membranes. Check with her pediatrician about using a humidifier. I think that's what my parents ended up using. Obviously I'm not a doctor myself, so do what the pediatrician says.

Hope she feels better and the nosebleeds stop now that the Santa Ana's ending.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Beautiful day out at Fletcher Cove on Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with this weather?!? - 2014-wp_20140503_15_50_07_pro.jpg  

Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Beautiful day out at Fletcher Cove on Saturday
Nice. Same here, I think it is 71 now and sunny. Heading to Capo Beach before I get down to North County later.

Finally slept with no AC on, first time in three days. Whew, glad that is over.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,798 times
Not a fan of the hotter days. They interfere with deadheading blossoms out front in the afternoon. My front yard faces south and is substantially warmer than my north facing back garden. Lounging and gardening out back are still fine but the wind has blown a lot of messes on my patios. I swept in the morning (actually got out the leaf vacuum) and by afternoon you never would have known it.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Oh, yeah, this used to happen to me when I was a little kid, too. It's probably just the dry air affecting nasal membranes. Check with her pediatrician about using a humidifier. I think that's what my parents ended up using. Obviously I'm not a doctor myself, so do what the pediatrician says.

Hope she feels better and the nosebleeds stop now that the Santa Ana's ending.
Yeah Malco, I hope it get's better for her too. I suffered with nose bleeds for years and still get them when I go to Vegas. I guess a humidifier helps. Also, I know this sounds gross, but placing Vaseline petroleum jelly inside the nostrils helps. Also try saline water.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
For chronic nosebleed caused by dryness, DH found that Neutrogena "Norwegian Formula" lip moisturizer rubbed inside his nose (rubbed the lib balm on his finger and then applied it to his nose) helped a lot. Sounds weird, but whatever works ...

Old 05-04-2014, 11:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
I went paddle boarding Saturday at Newport Beach Harbor, that was great. That is when its nice to have some warmer days! bonus it was not windy....it was just lovely. Except for the traffic...that was not cool.

I also have to remember to water my plants more, I'm not used to a drier climate yet...or, er plants in a drier climate.

The thermometer cracks me up. I often find myself explaining to people that I've adjusted to CA climate (Coastal) and am now only comfortable in a small range of temps (it has taken me 3 years to even noticed there are distinct seasons cause my temp range is only like 20 degrees...lol upper 50's to low 70's is about the extent of it)

If the temp goes above 75 or below 50 I am now much more sensitive than I used to be. The hot temps the other day would not have been notable at all in summer time in IL, and in fact might have been considered a cool off in Aug or July!

When I visited Illinois last summer and it was humid and over 100 I thought I would die. ....my 73 year old dad handled it better.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I went paddle boarding Saturday at Newport Beach Harbor, that was great. That is when its nice to have some warmer days! bonus it was not windy....it was just lovely. Except for the traffic...that was not cool.

I also have to remember to water my plants more, I'm not used to a drier climate yet...or, er plants in a drier climate.

The thermometer cracks me up. I often find myself explaining to people that I've adjusted to CA climate (Coastal) and am now only comfortable in a small range of temps (it has taken me 3 years to even noticed there are distinct seasons cause my temp range is only like 20 degrees...lol upper 50's to low 70's is about the extent of it)

If the temp goes above 75 or below 50 I am now much more sensitive than I used to be. The hot temps the other day would not have been notable at all in summer time in IL, and in fact might have been considered a cool off in Aug or July!

When I visited Illinois last summer and it was humid and over 100 I thought I would die. ....my 73 year old dad handled it better.
Good for you! Newport is stunning and reminds me of a real beach resort with some east coast flavor on Balboa. Anyway, regarding the traffic, always remember the regular travel patterns are more heavily going south on the 5 for Saturday, and the masses generally return northbound on Sunday. Note that this changes for holidays. In general, always leave early on Saturday, like say, 08:30 from Carlsbad. If you do come back up this way, you can get to Newport in an hour (or 45-50 if you take the 73 toll road) if you leave early. I sometimes head over to Newport Bay for long Saturday morning walks. I never suffer traffic and always ride the luxurious, wide, gorgeous I-73, which is devoid of cars and has breathtaking scenery. Try it!

If you look for me, I won't be the lady jogging with the toy dog in the stroller, nor am I the guy jogging next to said lady with said doggy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego