Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a multicultural hairstylist and barber who can do all types of textures of hair and have been considering moving to San Diego for many reasons. Can anyone tell me about the market there? Is there a huge need for a stylist who can do extensions and sewins? I'm looking to make a decision and build from there within the next year. Your hair experiences are welcome, male or female, and any race..thank U!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
I am Latino and get my hair cut at a Chaldean shop in El Cajon. They are 5 chaldean guys and one AA guy who mainly sees his own AA clients and he usually has a steady flow of customers.

My guess based on my experience and my location in East County is that there is a need for black barbers/stylists, but not to the extent that you would open a big shop with multiple stylists. A few needed here and there but there would't be a huge client base. Again, just my hunch. Now this wouldn't be the same for all parts of town.

According to Census Bureau (San Diego County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau) SD County's AA or Black population is 5.6% of a total population of 3,211,252, in other words about 180,000 black people and of course certain areas have a higher concentration of this ethnic group.

My own personal anectdote, I let the AA barber cut my hair once last year. He was a cool guy to talk to about sports and he has a good character but his hair cuts hurt . The constant up and down of the clippers while fading the side HURTS LIKE HELL if you are not used to it and I didn't like the emphasis on the hair line and side burns. It trully was a different hair cut experience that I personally don't care to do again.

You can always do like he did and reach out to the local salons and see if they need multicultural hairstylist such as yourself.

Good Luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego