Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I know the $750 a month we currently rent a house for won't get much of a house (if any) in metro SD, but we have heard that teachers make more in SoCal to balance out cost of living/housing increases there.
Eliminate "much of" in your sentence. You will not be able to rent any house for $750 in San Diego, and you'd be very hard pressed to find a crappy sfh at double the rent. For a reasonably acceptable home rental in a reasonable neighborhood (forget the coast), you are likely looking at $1800+ per month, and options begin to open up at $2k and above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:51 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
OP, don't be so taken by surprise with the numbers, we all had to adjust to it. In SD the % of income set aside for housing is something like 40%.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Why not move to Arizona and be close to your Mother in Law?
Good question.
This way we're close, but not TOO close!
(a bit complex....)

Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Good question.
This way we're close, but not TOO close!
(a bit complex....)

haahaaha, no, not complicated at all.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:12 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,094 times
I don't understand why jobs are not your first concern. If you don't have jobs, the cost of renting doesn't matter.

Secondly, if I had to commute back and forth from work, I'd never live anywhere in Southern CA (along the coast) again. I lived 9 miles from my work. If I left for work an hour early in the mornings, it would take me 15 minutes from my front door to the front door of my work. (I worked almost always 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday. I should also mention that I lived only a few blocks from the freeway on ramp/off ramp.) If I left just 30 minutes later, it took 30+ minutes from door to door. It always took 30-45 minutes to get home after work. On Fridays, it could take up to an hour to get home and never less than 45 minutes. Remember -- it was only 9 miles. That was 10 years ago -- I doubt that it's gotten better in the past decade.

A rule of thumb for realtors/property managers (and please don't ask me why, because I'm rather embarrassed to say that I don't exactly know) -- take your annual gross income and divide it by 40, and the result is what you can comfortably afford for rent and average utilities. So, for example, for $2500/mo. rent, you and your wife would have to be grossing $100,000 together.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
Default why the heck not? Sounds fun.

Have you done any research on SD as far as housing or employment? I don't think teaching jobs are very easy to find here...aren't they all unionized? I recall a few years ago, they were laying off teachers. You have a stable situation where you are and probably good benefits ...why would you want to jeopardize this? Don't know your ages but I'm guessing you are middle aged or more? As others have said, SD is very expensive, especially housing and $750 a month is less than what people get renting out a room in their homes/apartments. I think you should stay put and take some vacations here...you could move to PHX which would be somewhat less expensive housing wise but you would still have the job situations to deal with. There are so many young, educated people here to fill jobs, the competition is fierce. You've picked one of the most desirable places in the U.S. to want to move to. Anyway, NM to AZ is probably about the same distance and SD to AZ so I don't understand why you would be really much closer to the mother in law?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
I'll chime in and agree with what everyone else said.

SD is a great place to live if you have a great job or a good pension/investment income. But SD, as in pretty much all of the coastal CA metro areas, most jobs don't pay enough to make up for the higher cost of living, especially the typical middle and slightly above middle income type jobs.

I am looking at SD as a retirement spot in the next 10-12 years. I am a public sector (clerical/admin) worker in the SF Bay Area who can qualify for a pension at 55 but I am also saving aggressively for retirement as well. Hopefully a conservative withdrawal rate from retirement savings will match or exceed my pension (that's the hope, anyway). And my housing expectations are much more modest than yours. I live in a studio apartment now, and I expect to live in a studio or 1BR apt (at most) when I retire.

This is what it takes to live without financial worries in a place like SD.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
I can't imagine what SD will be like in 10-12 years, it is bad enough now with the population growth and traffic issues. And rents, they are skyrocketing...who knows what they will be like by then. I just retired with a similar financial situation, I'm staying here as long as I can but that might not be too many years more.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I can't imagine what SD will be like in 10-12 years, it is bad enough now with the population growth and traffic issues. And rents, they are skyrocketing...who knows what they will be like by then. I just retired with a similar financial situation, I'm staying here as long as I can but that might not be too many years more.

It's cyclical, and certainly not hugely different than 10-12 years ago. Rents are a bit higher but the cost to buy is less than 10 years ago.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You can't treat "San Diego" as just one entity, you have to break it down into the components of cities and areas. San Diego County has a population 50% greater than the state of New Mexico, there are lots of teaching positions in the county, but how many are open is a different thing. There are some districts growing and building new schools. There are also private schools.

Do some research on the various districts, look at the county Ed site and go from there. Even send out some resumes and make phone calls.

You can find apartments $800-$1,000. So what if it isn't the greatest neighborhood, it will still be livable.

Personally I would move to AZ given their growth. It is a big state. If MIL is in Phoenix, look at Tucson and Flagstaff and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego