Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:02 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Future renters are doubly in need of readjustment. Stop with this ridiculous lower-bound range of $1,000 per month for something "safe," "two bedrooms," "good schools." You know what $1,000 gets you in San Diego? An absolute dump of a studio; a dorm room suitable for college students.
Just wanted to put it out there that dumpy studios fit only for college students can still be had in the $800-900 range in places like City Heights. Just saying that things aren't yet to the point that nothing can be had for under $1000 month. But the times, they are a changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
The 2/2 I bought last year looks like a bargain compared to the prices of comparable properties and rental prices now (and it was still expensive). Crazy how low the inventory is for properties under 600k in the nice coastal areas right now

Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Nice rant post. We need one in both the OC and LA sections too since posters there (especially the ones posting in the LA forum) also need to stop with the ridiculous expectations. It is expensive here and people need to grasp that.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
The problem is new posters don't read the old posts. They think they are the only ones wanting to make a move to SD, yet they all have the same unrealistic criteria. ( large lot, safe, great schools, walkable neighborhood, near/on the beach, 15 minute commute , etc, all for, what they think is a huge amt. of money, but in reality, slumlord conditions in San Diego) They want advice, yet get angry when we tell them it is not do-able. They get upset when asked the what's and where's and how much. Rare is it, that one actually makes the move and comes back to join us. I remember one telling us we were all jealous of him! ��

Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Oh and one more thing. Get a darn marketable skill together with a job lined up, have a plump wallet, be a trust fund baby, lotto winner or be willing to step down tremendously in terms of QOL. We have enough low skilled workers. The number of bartender/pedicab types who are California dreaming is staggering.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 03-19-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Just wanted to put it out there that dumpy studios fit only for college students can still be had in the $800-900 range in places like City Heights. Just saying that things aren't yet to the point that nothing can be had for under $1000 month. But the times, they are a changing.
This is true. But the problem is that people don't want to live in the lower incomes areas. They want to live in North Park; South Park, University Heights, Golden Hill, and Normal Heights, along with the Gaslamp District. They want a "cute, quaint" area.

I live in a lower income area, and my rent is dirt cheap for San Diego. But it doesn't bother me.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The problem is new posters don't read the old posts. They think they are the only ones wanting to make a move to SD, yet they all have the same unrealistic criteria. ( large lot, safe, great schools, walkable neighborhood, near/on the beach, 15 minute commute , etc, all for, what they think is a huge amt. of money, but in reality, slumlord conditions in San Diego) They want advice, yet get angry when we tell them it is not do-able. They get upset when asked the what's and where's and how much. Rare is it, that one actually makes the move and comes back to join us. I remember one telling us we were all jealous of him! ��
Yep, just like I said. People will come for a visit, fall in love, and decide that they want to move, without knowing anything about the job situation or cost of living.

It's called "San Diego dreaming."

Last edited by moved; 03-19-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
You where one of the actual few that came back right?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This is true. But the problem is that people don't want to live in the lower incomes areas. They want to live in North Park; South Park, University Heights, Golden Hill, and Normal Heights, along with the Gaslamp District. They want a "cute, quaint" area.

I live in a lower income area, and my rent is dirt cheap for San Diego. But it doesn't bother me.
The problem is not that people don't want to live in so-called low income areas. The problem is that not everyone could reasonably live in such an area even if they wanted to. Rents reflect the desirability of an area. Very low rent means an area is highly undesirable.

Appeal
Aside from the obvious: the areas you're describing generally tend to be unsightly, often industrial, and thus, there are a myriad reasons why people don't want to live in such places. Such places are filled with people who are usually of low educational attainment, have very few resources and who are recent immigrants. While a few such places may enjoy proximity to the ocean, most are cut off from the beach. These places generally have less green space than nice places and have few if any cultural offerings. These areas, where industrial, often lead residents to have a much higher risk of cancer due to toxic chemicals. These areas also tend to have fewer healthier food choices, etc. Such areas are often inhabited by immigrants who speak a language other than English, and in San Diego, often it is Spanish. Not everyone from Buloxi speaks Spanish.

Safety/crime
The so-called low income areas have much higher crime rates and also tend to have higher levels of gang activity. Prospective residents might fear break-ins or having their vehicles damaged. Parents with children would be justifiably concerned for the safety of their children when playing on the street. Parents might be fearful their children may end up joining a gang. Women too likely must fear having to be far more vigilant especially if they want to go jogging...at night. LGBT people might be scared to get bashed by some of the lovely violent young men in such areas. People who differ in ethnicity from the residents of such areas might also fear attracting attention to themselves and even being harmed.

Schools
Such areas almost always have very low performing schools that are filled with children who return home to parents who in turn have low expectations of their children.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 03-19-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The problem is not that people don't want to live in so-called low income areas. The problem is that not everyone could reasonably live in such an area even if they wanted to. Rents reflect the desirability of an area. Very low rent means an area is highly undesirable. The rents are low where I live, because they keep them low, but the rents for other apartments in the same area are much higher.

Appeal
Aside from the obvious: the areas you're describing generally tend to be unsightly, often industrial, and thus, there are a myriad reasons why people don't want to live in such places. Such places are filled with people who are usually of low educational attainment, have very few resources and who are recent immigrants. While a few such places may enjoy proximity to the ocean, most are cut off from the beach. These places generally have less green space than nice places and have few if any cultural offerings. These areas, where industrial, often lead residents to have a much higher risk of cancer due to toxic chemicals. These areas also tend to have fewer healthier food choices, etc. Such areas are often inhabited by immigrants who speak a language other than English, and in San Diego, often is Spanish. Not everyone from Buloxi speaks Spanish.

Safety/crime
The so-called low income areas have much higher crime rates and also tend to have higher levels of gang activity. Prospective residents might fear break-ins or having their vehicles damaged. Parents with children would be justifiably concerned for the safety of their children when playing on the street. Parents might be fearful their children may end up joining a gang. Women too likely must fear having to be far more vigilant especially if they want to go jogging...at night. LGBT people might be scared to get bashed by some of the lovely violent young men in such areas. People who differ in ethnicity from the residents of such areas might also fear attracting attention to themselves and even harmed.

Schools
Such areas almost always have very low performing schools that are filled with children who return home to many parents who in turn have low expectations of their children.
All of this is not necessarily true. I'm a single female, sometimes I work nights, I go at night, and have never been bothered. And I come in very late, after sometimes working an event in the Gaslamp.

I like living in Barrio Logan much better than when I lived in City Heights. There's more crime in City Heights than there is in Barrio Logan where I live. It might not appeal to you, but it appeals to me.

But apparently, even though you don't live in San Diego, you're an expert on all of the areas. Everyone where I live speaks English, so don't jump to conclusions about what you posted, because it's not always true.

Last edited by moved; 03-19-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego