Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Look at the arrest rates for blacks in California and San Diego. They are absolutely jaw-dropping. This holds true almost everywhere. Look at Santa Monica! Nearly all of the arrested persons between 2011-2012 in Santa Monica were black! Palm Springs! San Francisco! Beverly Hills OMG! Even my own little town! Incredible.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/experimen...s-interactive/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Look at the arrest rates for blacks in California and San Diego. They are absolutely jaw-dropping. This holds true almost everywhere. Look at Santa Monica! Nearly all of the arrested persons between 2011-2012 in Santa Monica were black! Palm Springs! San Francisco! Beverly Hills OMG! Even my own little town! Incredible.

Compare arrest rates
Cheese whiz, OC Do you understand that arrest rate is not any proof whatsoever of crime rate?

Logic 101: failed.

And are you at all aware that the chart you linked is part of a long USA Today article written to expose that the arrest rates for blacks signify gross failures of policing and the justice system in America? Racial gap in U.S. arrest rates: 'Staggering disparity'

For example:
Quote:
black people and white people smoke marijuana at similar rates, yet black people are 3.7 times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession. (The discrepancy could also be driven by overt racism, more frequent illegal searches of black people, or an increased willingness to let non-blacks off with a warning.). Black Crime Rates: What Happens When Numbers Aren't Neutral

Old 03-07-2016, 10:14 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Cheese whiz, OC Do you understand that arrest rate is not any proof whatsoever of crime rate?

And are you at all aware that the chart you linked is part of a long USA Today article written to expose that the arrest rates for blacks signify gross failures of policing and the justice system in America? Racial gap in U.S. arrest rates: 'Staggering disparity'

For example:
+1.

Some people just cut and paste and give no thought to the point they are trying to make.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

For example:
Arrests often lead to charges. Moreover, there needs to be probable cause of a crime having been committed in order to arrest someone. Thus, you can stop slapping your head now. And stop stooping to attacks on my intelligence and fancying yourself as brilliant. I am fully aware of what USAToday is trying to show: black arrest victims "all over the country" by showing disparate rates of arrest. The article falsely assumes that all people act exactly the same and that blacks are singled out. Tell me, is that correct? Do all people act the same?

Bernie and Hillary say we need to stop overpolicing black communities. Would that tactic change these figures? Not really since I see huge black arrest rates all over, even where there are exceedingly few blacks.

Hillary said today that we need to stop focusing on small non violent crimes (thereby essentially allowing certain people freedom from prosecution for "small non violent" crimes). Surely that will change these arrest rates, right? RIGHT?

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 03-07-2016 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 12:00 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Arrests often lead to charges. Moreover, there needs to be probable cause of a crime having been committed in order to arrest someone. Thus, you can stop slapping your head now. And stop stooping to attacks on my intelligence and fancying yourself as brilliant. I am fully aware of what USAToday is trying to show: black arrest victims "all over the country" by showing disparate rates of arrest. The article falsely assumes that all people act exactly the same and that blacks are singled out. Tell me, is that correct? Do all people act the same? Bernie and Hillary say we need to stop overpolicing black communities. Would that tactic change these figures? Not really since I see huge black arrest rates all over, even where there are exceedingly few blacks. Hillary said today that we need to stop focusing on small non violent crimes (thereby essentially allowing certain people freedom from prosecution for "small non violent" crimes). Surely that will change these arrest rates, right? RIGHT?
Calm down. The issue is that blacks are arrested more often than whites even in cases where the underlying crime rate among both races is the same. An example:

"The effects of racial bias are particularly well demonstrated in the areas of traffic stops and drug law enforcement. Between 1980 and 2000, the U.S. black drug arrest rate rose from 6.5 to 29.1 per 1,000 persons; during the same period, the white drug arrest rate increased from 3.5 to 4.6 per 1,000 persons. Yet the disparity between the increase in black and white drug arrests does not correspond to any significant disparity in black drug activity. In 2012, for instance, the National Institute on Drug Abuse published a study surveying drug usage among secondary school students in the United States from
1975-2011. The study found that white students were slightly more likely to have abused an illegal substance within the past month than black students. Yet from 1980-2010, black youth were arrested for drug crimes at rates more than double those of white youth.17 Disparity between black drug activity and black arrest rates is also present in adult populations: in Seattle in 2002, for instance, African Americans constituted 16% of observed drug dealers for the five most dangerous drugs but 64% of drug dealing arrests for those drugs. While these arrests were for trafficking rather than possession, the modest evidence available suggests that most drug users purchase drugs from a dealer of their own race" http://sentencingproject.org/doc/pub...w%20Report.pdf

To summarize, blacks and whites use drugs at about the same rate, most drug users buy drugs from a dealer of their own race but blacks are arrested far more often than whites for drug related crimes. Chew on that for a bit and I will be back tomorrow, it's my bedtime now ta ta.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:50 AM

414 posts, read 508,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Going to be non PC here and tell it like it is so here it goes.

Less Black and Hispanic people compared to the biggest Metros in the nation.
I can see the argument for blacks/African-Americans, but not for hispanics. The largest cities and metros with the lowest crime rates typically have a large number of hispanics. San Diego, San Jose, NYC, San Antonio, Austin, and LA. Take a look at the list of municipalities w/ the largest percentage of hispanics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ic_populations

Most of these cities are actually quite safe relative to other American cities of comparable size.

Quote:
It is less Urban and has less Urban decay. As we all know, most violent crimes happen in urban areas.
True. San Diego never stopped growing and periods of a forgotten downtown are long gone. Land prices are simply to high and the city is too desirable for urban decay.

Quote:
San Diego being more of a suburb on a whole caters to families and these people have no time to rob, car jack, or shoot somebody. On a sad note, Murder suicide rates shot up here, and each case has it's own reason why. But it's most likely financial and girlfriend/boyfriend jealousy that sparks the killings.
I think crime relates more to education levels, socioeconomic status, social services, and policing practices than suburban spatial layout. UTC/University City is more urban than Mountain View and it's definitely a lot safer.

Quote:
The culture in SD is heavily and overwhelming White, although Mexico is our neighbor to the South, you would think differently. Many other big cities in the U.S. that are more diverse like San Antonio and pretty much all of Texas cities have more crime.
I wouldn't agree that San Diego is white-washed or overly white. I think it is a personal experience and it is easy to get stuck in your own bubble based on where you live. As a white person who grew up in latino suburbs, San Diego has never been "white" to me. English may be the go-to language, but I think the experience differs for people living in Mira Mesa, Mountain View, National City, and Encinitas. The reality is that San Diego metro is 12% asian, 5.6% black, 32% latino, and ~47% non-latino white. I don't think you speak for everyone in claiming San Diego as "white" when they aren't even the majority. The "white experience" is also a minority experience.

San Diego is a newer city with less history of racial tensions. I think that is the root cause.
Quote:
Now one reason for this is that Texas has a much lower cost of living, so it attracts people of all creeds unlike here where it keeps the problems ones out, and holds onto the select few.
El Paso and Austin have comparable violent crime rates to San Diego. San Antonio is not too far off. These cities have a large number of immigrants that are slowly moving from working class to middle class. Gangs and shootings start to lose their appeal. Latinos mostly come to this country to work and start a better life for their families. Culturally, I don't believe crime is embedded into these groups. Most people commit crimes out of desperation. The less desperate these immigrants (and their children) are, the less likely some will turn to gangs/crime.

Quote:
We are still an overall Conservative City and County, especially when you look at who is running things in this town and how the local media operates on its Right Wing policies. Big Liberal cities tend to have high crime rates, and San Diego is not one of them.
I think you are mixing up causation with correlation. NYC also has very low crime rates, but is super liberal. Boston Metro technically has lower crime than San Diego Metro, but is much more liberal.

Urban areas typically have a larger spectrum of incomes and less social cohesion compared to rural areas. This is why crime is more common in cities. Liberalism exists in cities regardless of crime rates. Cities are where social experiments in liberalism began.

Quote:
Gentrification will eventually move out all the poor Blacks and Hispanics in the inner city of SD, and these people will probably have nowhere else to go besides out of the state because there won't be anymore affordable pockets of left in SD for them to go to. So crime will drop even more.
Black and hispanic % of population has grown since 2010, while the white population has declined. Gentrification in the "inner city" merely relocates people to other, less desirable areas. Increasingly, these places are inland and suburban. Either way, the latino middle class is growing and easily holds onto many of the increasingly expensive areas. (or they buy in historically wealthy areas).

Quote:
The days of Gangster culture that was so prevalent in the 90's is long gone, so the attraction for kids to become a gangbanger has been almost halted. Even though SD has many gangs, they're not doing drive-by's, or killing each other on a daily basis like they did 20 years ago.
This is true.

Quote:
SD is also very laid back, and this in itself might have something to do with the lower crime rates.
I agree, San Diego's culture does support lower crime. Go us!

Last edited by Julianpieohmy; 03-08-2016 at 02:01 AM..

Old 03-08-2016, 02:14 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Hmmm, there is very little violent crime in South OC (Laguna Niguel, etc.) committed by blacks, or anyone else.

There has been a recent increase in violence in Central OC (Costa Mesa and Santa Ana) in Hispanic areas, not by blacks, if that really matters.

On Average, 1 Shooting Reported Each Day In Santa Ana In 2016 « CBS Los Angeles

“This has been my neighborhood for as long as I could remember,” says Jesus Gonzales, “and it’s just turned into the Devil’s home.”
Gile first encountered the youngster at a vigil for his cousin — Francisco — murdered three days ago on South Harmon Street.
“A white car just randomly pulled in over here,” he said pointing out the murder scene, “and the guy fired three bullets and one hit Francisco in the chest.”
Police said the shooting was unprovoked and the 51st this year. There have been four in the three days since.
Santa Ana recorded 297 shootings in all of 2015.
“What we’re seeing in Santa Ana, we’re seeing some very brazen individuals who are willing to challenge authority and assault our police officers and members of our community, ” said SA Police Department Chief Carlos Rojas.
Serious crime surges 40% in Costa Mesa - LA Times

Who ya gonna fear? I haven't looked at ancient records but, In fact, it seems that all of Laguna Niguel's violent crime is committed by whites.

The last violent crime I read about occurring in Laguna Niguel was committed about 4 days ago by a white guy.
Driver Hits Federal Investigator, Plows Into O.C. Federal Building in Alleged Deliberate Attack | KTLA

Admitted white supremacist suspected in killing outside Laguna Niguel pub arrested at Westminster motel - The Orange County Register

Man Accused Of 2009 Murder Of His Grandmother In Laguna Niguel « CBS Los Angeles

Laguna Niguel man stabbed, killed during family feud identified - The Orange County Register

Young woman shot to death in Laguna Niguel | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Laguna Niguel Woman to Be Charged With Murder in Stabbing...

Her kids are with woman who killed her own children - today > news - TODAY.com

Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quazmar View Post
Your post is filled with bigotry. People with less means (of course you didn't mentioned that the entire system of white supremacy in America has and still kept minorities at a disadvantage) commit more crime. That is common sense. Has nothing to do with how long you've been in the sun or your genetic makeup. Race isn't even real.
The prisons are packed with black men because they receive longer sentences and are targeted more. That doesn't mean crime is not committed in other areas. LOL.
Since you think crime is based on pigmentation ( I assume with your theory the second someone has some melanin in their skin, they begin to shake and want to do more crime right?) please explain why Lakeside has a higher crime rate than Chula Vista?
The problem is, people that do have less in this country, are mostly Black and Hispanic, thus more crime is committed in this demographic, it's not that hard to understand. You can't always blame the system, and I understand that White supremacy still exist in this country, but to blame everything on others is a poor reason to feel sorry for oneself and to not become educated. I am all for social programs that help people improve themselves, so they can move up on the economic ladder, but they have to WANT it and not spend their time slanging dope, being lazy, or getting into trouble.

I've been racially profiled many times driving over the years, and YES, some cops are big time A-Holes and are out to get certain people. What I learned though, is in the past, having an attitude, talking back will only get you a ticket, or worse thrown in jail. Not every stop had a probable cause either, the cop usually makes up a story or an event to pull me over. So anytime I get stopped for the car I drive, I just crack a smile, joke a little to put the cop at ease, and let him know that "Yes officer this is my car, I'm going to the store, no I don't have drugs in the trunk or weapons of any kind and I understand why you pulled me over, it's because the way I look and the color of my skin, it's all good. Can I go now"? And that method has worked everytime for them letting me go.

I've been harassed a few times as well. Saying things like "You're parents did a bad job raising you" at 14 years old!! This incident happened one day while I rode my bike on ECB minded my own business when a cop rolled up on me for no reason. Asking me all kinds of questions, accusing me having drugs because the way I looked. I was illegally searched as well, and when the cops didn't find anything, they were pissed, and started calling me names and disrespecting my parents hoping I would retaliate back. These are the kinds of provocation methods cops use to give them a reason to arrest you and it's completely effed up and wrong on so many levels.

Lakeside is full of druggies and poor white trash, that is deadly mix for low level tweaked out crime. Social class matters too, but on a whole, what racial demographic commits the most crime in this country? It all can't be just economic conditions either, but the culture in the household, and how the person was raised is probably the biggest reasons. You have sources that Chula Vista is safer than Lakeside?

When you do compare, please make sure you are comparing similar income area's of CV to Lakeside, and not Eastlake or other upper end neighborhoods in the city to make it fair.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quazmar View Post
Your post is filled with bigotry. People with less means (of course you didn't mentioned that the entire system of white supremacy in America has and still kept minorities at a disadvantage) commit more crime. That is common sense. Has nothing to do with how long you've been in the sun or your genetic makeup. Race isn't even real.
The prisons are packed with black men because they receive longer sentences and are targeted more. That doesn't mean crime is not committed in other areas. LOL.
Since you think crime is based on pigmentation ( I assume with your theory the second someone has some melanin in their skin, they begin to shake and want to do more crime right?) please explain why Lakeside has a higher crime rate than Chula Vista?
Go ahead and punch in Lakeside and Chula Vista.

Lakeside CA crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Old 03-08-2016, 08:47 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoCville View Post

The obvious answer can be gleaned from the demographics table that Wiki provides: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego#Demographics

6.7% African American population, with a large percentage of those likely in transient roles thanks to the two major military establishments.

It may be offensive for everyone to think about, but the fact is that when there is a low black population, crime is dramatically better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-2023 View Post
Unfortunately this is true. Although not politically correct.
So, why was San Diego's crime rate above the national average from 2001-2008? Did all of the African Americans suddenly leave town in early 2009?
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego