Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Though I am very comfortable travelling alone, I most likely would book I guided tour if I go to Ensenada or Tijuana many because I know very little about the cities and I'm not very good at spanish.
No problem amigo. Many people speak english in TJ, Just bring small change a big heart and some respect, People will treat you right.

Vibrant Hipster and Foodie Scene. Duty Free Shopping Naked Women and Cheap Booze.

You have it made buddy.....enjoy.

I live down there part time....I know what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It means you are probably a gringo who is afraid of TJ. Don't ruin it for someone else.
I agree.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Though I am very comfortable travelling alone, I most likely would book I guided tour if I go to Ensenada or Tijuana many because I know very little about the cities and I'm not very good at spanish.
You don't need to speak Spanish, most everyone speaks English. I used to live in Tijuana, and had no problems.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Since your in Mission Beach, get ahold of a bike and ride around Mission Bay onto the boardwalk in Mission Beach into Pacific Beach. That is something I like doing when in that area. Mission Beach is nice a flat so it's easy to get around by bike.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It means you are probably a gringo who is afraid of TJ. Don't ruin it for someone else.
Racist much?

Old 02-04-2016, 02:45 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Racist much?
No. I am a gringo of the guero complexion myself.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Why don't you create a thread for all the cultural things to do in Tijuana & make it a sticky? That might be more useful than this interchange.

In the meantime, the OP asked for suggestions for SAN DIEGO...do you have any??
Tijuana is as much a part of San Diego as Oakland is to San Francisco, St. Paul to Minneapolis, Fort Worth to Dallas! Let's just say, Tijuana is San Diego's largest suburb!

Tijuana has done an amazing turnaround, where they don't even need tourists anymore to survive!

There's medical tourism (I go to the Angeles Hospital in the Rio Zona district), biomed companies in San Diego with medical manufacturing facilities in East Tijuana, and there's the growing call center business, some 10,000 of them heading for 20,000, to take away some of the call centers from India.

And if you really want to see Tijuana as it's most colorful and exciting, stay over at the Nelson Hotel on Revolution, and enjoy the circus-type atmosphere in the Zona Norte district on a Saturday night, when everyone comes out to have a good time!

I understand why someone would want to deter someone from visiting Tijuana during their San Diego visit, as that visitor could become addicted to this highly addictive city, like I've done over the years!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-04-2016 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Name change

Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
^^I will agree with you regarding medical tourism, but otherwise, Tijuana is a good view into a third-world country...unless you can tell me that people in Tijuana no longer live in shanties by the border or on the hills, & that everyone in TJ now has a job, & a house with running water & electricity. Wait, I take that back...San Diego IS a part of TJ, there are many, many jobless, homeless people in shanties in San Diego now, too, So, you're right!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
All the responses have been helpful. But to be honest im not planning on spending a night in either city. I want to know which City would be the best for a day trip. Pros and Cons of both cities.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
^^I will agree with you regarding medical tourism, but otherwise, Tijuana is a good view into a third-world country...unless you can tell me that people in Tijuana no longer live in shanties by the border or on the hills, & that everyone in TJ now has a job, & a house with running water & electricity. Wait, I take that back...San Diego IS a part of TJ, there are many, many jobless, homeless people in shanties in San Diego now, too, So, you're right!
It is the rich women of Tijuana who keep Fashion Valley and all the upscale shopping in La Jolla alive if you have ever noticed- carrying bags of goods as if it were a shopping advertisement. There are plenty of wealthy people in both cities. We are also blessed to have the cultural and arts pulse of the Tijuana region to be very much a part of making San Diego a much more interesting city than it would be otherwise.

I work with very educated architects who commute from Tijuana every day to our firm in San Diego and am made aware of the diverse culture and economy down there, how intertwined it is with ours and feel lucky to have a bit more of an insight of it because of these co-workers and friends.

Last edited by T. Damon; 02-04-2016 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego