Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 PM

222 posts, read 231,873 times

Advertisements

I see Oldtown next door, the river, and tourist attractions surrounding the district. It looks convenient to shopping and looks to have public transportation as well. Looks like bicycle paths around the river areas. I wonder about bicycling in the area and from there back and forth into the downtown areas.

In your opinion(s) is San Diego and especially the district -- bike-friendly? How dangerous or friendly are the streets to bicycle on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 PM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
The river is a nice ride, and will take you to Mission Valley. It's totally grade-separated once you get to it. Nimitz, Rosecrans, or any other major avenue is, in my opinion, suicidal, but doable on a bike. I would know, I've done it many times. Pacific Coast Highway is hit-and-miss, but be sure to err on the side of caution. The safest and most pleasurable route is of course, Harbor Dr., which depending on where you are in Pt. Loma, would be fairly close. This takes you downtown and back, and you have the option of catching the Coronado Ferry from downtown as well. On the whole, San Diegans are very car-reliant, and our infrastructure reflects this, sadly.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:54 PM

222 posts, read 231,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
The river is a nice ride, and will take you to Mission Valley. It's totally grade-separated once you get to it. Nimitz, Rosecrans, or any other major avenue is, in my opinion, suicidal, but doable on a bike. I would know, I've done it many times. Pacific Coast Highway is hit-and-miss, but be sure to err on the side of caution. The safest and most pleasurable route is of course, Harbor Dr., which depending on where you are in Pt. Loma, would be fairly close. This takes you downtown and back, and you have the option of catching the Coronado Ferry from downtown as well. On the whole, San Diegans are very car-reliant, and our infrastructure reflects this, sadly.
Thanx for the input.

I am familiar with street riding in major urban areas. Done it in NYC, Boston, LA, and elsewhere. Getting older I prefer bike lanes and bike paths whenever possible now. I do know I will be using a bicycle on the surface streets to get around. So, great info on which streets/roads can be more treacherous. Not looking for another joint replacement any time soon.

Last edited by EastCoastRefugee2; 02-18-2016 at 10:16 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 07:27 AM

50,310 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Kurtz to W Point Loma to Nimitz then on to harbor is probably the safest. Once you get down to the bike path get off Harbor as it's nuts by the airport to downtown.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:17 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
It's a great area to ride a bike if you like dodging potholes and speeding traffic

Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It's a great area to ride a bike if you like dodging potholes and speeding traffic
Boy howdy and then some! I wouldn't ride a bicycle on those streets or anywhere in town if I was young and insane - let alone old and wiser.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:09 PM

I typically refer to the Sports Arena area as a no fly zone but about once a week I'll ride over to Shelter or down to the flat top museum. The earlier the better.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I typically refer to the Sports Arena area as a no fly zone but about once a week I'll ride over to Shelter or down to the flat top museum. The earlier the better.
I don't even like driving Sports Arena / Rosecranz in my truck, let alone would I bike it. Retired from reserves I have base privileges everywhere and I like the Bay reach up to the little marina at MCRD so I hang in that area a lot. Once you get away from Midway and Liberty Station area on Rosecranz to Nimitz things aren't usually bad at all. And yeah, Shelter Island is cool.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I don't even like driving Sports Arena / Rosecranz in my truck, let alone would I bike it. Retired from reserves I have base privileges everywhere and I like the Bay reach up to the little marina at MCRD so I hang in that area a lot. Once you get away from Midway and Liberty Station area on Rosecranz to Nimitz things aren't usually bad at all. And yeah, Shelter Island is cool.
I hate driving my truck down there and only go if I have to get supplies at Squidco or West Marine

Otherwise, North of the 8

Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 PM

20 posts, read 29,077 times
FYI today is the last day to provide feedback on the Downtown Mobility Plan, which includes many bicycling infrastructure improvements: Public Review : Downtown San Diego Mobility Plan

I wrote an open letter to the mayor, which I also submitted to Brad Richter at richter@civicsd.com. If you agree with the plan, please submit your own letter as well.
https://gist.github.com/simpixelated...b303bfff46aaf9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego