Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

22 Year old female seeking info on San Diego, night life, shopping, traffic, weather, smog and pollution compared to Los Angeles

Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 AM

107 posts, read 343,625 times

Advertisements

im a 22 year old female. artsy but not hippy or surfer type of person. i love warm weather so id probly live a little further inland. how bad is the traffic there? what about the nightlife and shopping? ive lived near LA for a few months before and i had fun. but ive never spent too much time in SD. everyone on the LA forum complains about LA being a horrible ugly place so i was wondering what san diegans think about SD? also, is the smog and pollution as bad there as LA?

I think san diego seems pretty nice but my friend who lived there for a while said that LA was more his scene, i think because SD is such a beach community while LA is more city life? i dunno. we are very much alike but i dont just want to take his word for it without knowing.

so for anyone who wants to help me out, i thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 AM

267 posts, read 1,290,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler_966 View Post
im a 22 year old female. artsy but not hippy or surfer type of person. i love warm weather so id probly live a little further inland. how bad is the traffic there? what about the nightlife and shopping? ive lived near LA for a few months before and i had fun. but ive never spent too much time in SD. everyone on the LA forum complains about LA being a horrible ugly place so i was wondering what san diegans think about SD? also, is the smog and pollution as bad there as LA?
I can't compare it to L.A.'s night scene because I don't have the L.A. night scene experience. Other than NYC or South Beach, who could offer more nightlife than L.A.?

Plenty of shopping here, ditto for nightlife, but not as much as L.A. Not much if any smog or pollution here. People call SD a "beach town." That's a ridiculous generalization. That's like calling the U.S. a ghetto.

Check my previous posts for more info. Also, go to the Craigslist Travel Forum and their Housing forum and type "San Diego" into their search box. You're bound to find a bunch of LA vs. SD threads. A ton of valuable stuff will come up, stuff relating to housing, traffic, entertainment, ect. Pass the link posted below on to all of your friends. Many of the CL forums are all about people helping people.

The little numbers next to the category heading indicate the number of posts that came into that forum in the last 24 hours: san diego forums - craigslist

Last edited by hotornot; 03-02-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 AM

8 posts, read 35,850 times
Default Would you fit in S.D.?

Probably, what are your dimensions?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 AM

20 posts, read 88,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnifico View Post
Kudos

Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 17,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnifico View Post

O MY! I totally needed THAT laugh. It came from the belly!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 PM

202 posts, read 873,530 times
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler_966 View Post

I think san diego seems pretty nice but my friend who lived there for a while said that LA was more his scene, i think because SD is such a beach community while LA is more city life? i dunno. we are very much alike but i dont just want to take his word for it without knowing.

so for anyone who wants to help me out, i thank you very much
If you liked LA you will most likely like SD. It's funny how many people don't realize how bad the air is here though. They just automatically associate beach with good air, but unless you live right on the beach the air isn't that great.

It's not as bad as LA but it's not that good either. San Diego county as a whole is ranked 15th in the nation for air quality in major cities. This is directly from the EPA and the American Lung Association web sites. Carlsbad and San Marcos were rated alongside SD county as 15th also, Carlsbad is a beach community and San Marcos isn't that far from the beach.

Another thing to consider as far as air quality is the fires that are getting worse every year. When we have fires like we did recently the air quality is terrible. Probably by far the worst in the nation, it looks like a bomb went off. I work outside and have my own biz, so I was forced to work in it and it felt like I was sick for a month. It cut my energy level down to 25%, I felt like a walking zombie. For people that were inside it wasn't that bad.

Just as an example, some of my beach customers were hit very hard by the smoke from the fire and their yards were trashed with ash. Air quality here just depends on which way the winds blow.

SD is more conservative than LA, but what city isn't more conservative than LA, (Vegas perhaps) LA had a more vibrant singles scene, much more variety if you like too party. If you don't like to go out and you like outdoor stuff more, then SD is much better. Both cities have a overly sexual atmosphere and less emphasis on intellectualism which puts a damper on the singles scene for me.

Personally I would take SD over LA any day of the week, but thats because I am an outdoors person. Lately I don't like SD anymore because it's becoming like LA. If you like shopping and nightlife then LA would probably be a good choice. SD can get boring if you don't have allot of friends, at least compared to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego