Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 12:40 PM

17 posts, read 50,400 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to SD in 2009 and would like to know about any gay friendly neighborhoods/communities in the area.We are aware of Hillcrest. Also, do any of these places have quality schools. We have a trip planned in July and could check out any info during that visit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blja View Post
We are contemplating a move to SD in 2009 and would like to know about any gay friendly neighborhoods/communities in the area.We are aware of Hillcrest. Also, do any of these places have quality schools. We have a trip planned in July and could check out any info during that visit. Thanks!
Hillcrest's elementary is not great and the middle/high schools are horrendous. There are decent elementaries in the area (i.e. Mission Hills). The problem you will face is that in the areas with good schools (North County) you will be looked at very strangely as a gay parent, as those areas are heavily republican / conservative.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,232 times
As far as gay friendly neighborhoods you'd be fine in Hillcrest, Mission Hills, University Heights, North Park and South Park.....pretty much anywhere near Balboa Park. Kensington would be good too. I know there are small enclaves in Carmel Valley, but it isn't as accepted as it is nearer downtown....especially as a parent in the schools.

The real issue will be the school quality. Grant Elementary and Florence Elementary (Mission Hills and Hillcrest) are both good, but all other elementary schools for the neighborhoods I named above (except north county) are very bad.

West of the 163 in Hillcrest/Mission Hills and you should get Grant or Florance as your elementary, but if you east of the 163 you should go private school. North County you'll run into the issues Sassberto talked about.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM

30 posts, read 86,760 times
I have a two year old and live in Point Loma. I know of two gay couples with young children in the area. The parents seem to be well received, as far as I can tell. There are good elementary schools in the area; high school is another story.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofoosh View Post
As far as gay friendly neighborhoods you'd be fine in Hillcrest, Mission Hills, University Heights, North Park and South Park.....pretty much anywhere near Balboa Park. Kensington would be good too. I know there are small enclaves in Carmel Valley, but it isn't as accepted as it is nearer downtown....especially as a parent in the schools.

The real issue will be the school quality. Grant Elementary and Florence Elementary (Mission Hills and Hillcrest) are both good, but all other elementary schools for the neighborhoods I named above (except north county) are very bad.

West of the 163 in Hillcrest/Mission Hills and you should get Grant or Florance as your elementary, but if you east of the 163 you should go private school. North County you'll run into the issues Sassberto talked about.
ditto! That's right on point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego