Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 AM

1,600 posts, read 939,625 times

Advertisements

So I should be grateful that you paid firefighter salaries and utilities in years I was never there? Ha. I paid for roads, salaries, utilities, infrastructure, etc. in all the places I've lived, but I don't hold it over newcomers' heads like I've done them some sort of favor. Makes no sense. Those were expenses back then...not now. Property taxes shouldn't be a pyramid scheme where new homeowners subsidize old homeowners.

Look, you've benefited greatly from Prop13 and, of course, your perception will be highly skewed against repealing it. This is like arguing religion. Until you can look at things objectively, there's no more point in banging our heads against a wall.

Last edited by metoque; 03-18-2018 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 10:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Any objective look clearly shows there is no Subsidy...

Each and every taxable property pays the same rate for the region/location and this is Prop 13.

I have pointed out many times where long term homeowners are paying more and some cases much more than new homeowners... the "New" homeowners bought 2009-12 when prices were depressed.

I understand those feeling they missed the boat when they failed to get on board... especially since 5 years ago isn't very long ago.

Value at the time of transfer is the law of the land in California... and thankfully so... and thankfully so... repeated for emphasis.

No one in their right mind would want a return to the old system fought with corruption, scandal, endless appeals and being subject to Assessor Opinion and more so the people not having a vote as to special assessments.

There is only one problem and that is too many gloss over the past with rose colored glasses failing to see just how bad it was... volumes of tax code replaced by a couple of easy to understand paragraphs.

And "Bad" is the appropriate adjective as there would be no Prop 13 if the system wasn't broken.

Take heart... all is not lost. The beauty of Prop 13 is that it applies to ALL property... and if you think longevity is the key... then YOU TOO have the same opportunity.

In 30 or 40 years I fully intend to be the homeowner with the lower property taxes that my senior neighbors enjoy now...

Remember... YOU TOO can get onboard or not... it is your choice. I also realize it is easier to complain as opposed to act... such is the human condition.

PS... appreciative is a more apt description of how I feel about my neighbors that have owned for decades... they made the neighborhood welcoming and desirable so that I wanted to call it home too.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-18-2018 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Wow. Not sure where to even start with all that, so I won't. Good luck on your multi-decade quest for relatively low property taxes.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope, you pay sales tax every time you go shopping, eat out, buy clothes, buy on Amazon or Ebay. Taxes are all continuous. It is a continuous tax so you can live in the house and enjoy the amenities your taxes pay for (supposedly) and ditto for say clothes, as they are necessary year to year too.
LOL no they aren’t dude. You pay sales tax when you buy something. You control how much of it you pay, if any (and yes, I know it’s impossible to avoid it entirely). It’s called a “variable expense”. A property tax is a “fixed expense”. You pay the same amount regardless of whether you live in the home 1 day or 365 days of the yr. Two entirely different concepts.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Any objective look clearly shows there is no Subsidy...

Each and every taxable property pays the same rate for the region/location and this is Prop 13.

I have pointed out many times where long term homeowners are paying more and some cases much more than new homeowners... the "New" homeowners bought 2009-12 when prices were depressed.

I understand those feeling they missed the boat when the boat when they failed to get on board... especially since 5 years ago isn't very long ago.

Value at the time of transfer is the law of the land in California... and thankfully so... and thankfully so... repeated for emphasis.

No one in their right mind would want a return to the old system fought with corruption, scandal, endless appeals and being subject to Assessor Opinion and more so the people not having a vote as to special assessments.

There is only one problem and that is too many gloss over the past with rose colored glasses failing to see just how bad it was... volumes of tax code replaced by a couple of easy to understand paragraphs.

And "Bad" is the appropriate adjective as there would be no Prop 13 if the system wasn't broken.

Take heart... all is not lost. The beauty of Prop 13 is that it applies to ALL property... and if you think longevity is the key... then YOU TOO have the same opportunity.

In 30 or 40 years I fully intend to be the homeowner with the lower property taxes that my senior neighbors enjoy now...

Remember... YOU TOO can get onboard or not... it is your choice. I also realize it is easier to complain as opposed to act... such is the human condition.

PS... appreciative is a more apt description of how I feel about my neighbors that have owned for decades... they made the neighborhood welcoming and desirable so that I wanted to call it home too.
Agree 100% with your post. Thank god an assessor does not determine FMV. As homeowners we’d not even get the benefit if increased equity based upon the assessor’s valuation, because no buyer would ever rely upon it. It’d be nothing more than a government money grab. We already have plenty of them in this state. And I say that as a liberal leaning voter.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:22 PM

I have appealed assessments and won every time.

The frustrating part is property tax as billed must be paid... even if proven wrong.

To appeal, a filing fee also has to be paid and then the Appeal Board has two years to hold a hearing... two years!

One inconvenient truth regarding taxation is California is home to virtually every tax known... and the taxes continue to escalate... just like the fuel taxes, auto taxes, cell phone, utility, etc...

We in California have the privilege of paying the top 3... State Income, State Sales and Property Tax... our neighboring States get along just fine with 2 of the 3...

Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Wow. Not sure where to even start with all that, so I won't. Good luck on your multi-decade quest for relatively low property taxes.
Thank you...

Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
So I should be grateful that you paid firefighter salaries and utilities in years I was never there? Ha. I paid for roads, salaries, utilities, infrastructure, etc. in all the places I've lived, but I don't hold it over newcomers' heads like I've done them some sort of favor. Makes no sense. Those were expenses back then...not now. Property taxes shouldn't be a pyramid scheme where new homeowners subsidize old homeowners.

Look, you've benefited greatly from Prop13 and, of course, your perception will be highly skewed against repealing it. This is like arguing religion. Until you can look at things objectively, there's no more point in banging our heads against a wall.
I’m not holding anything over your head. You’re the one foaming at the mouth about how bad P13 is. If P13 is so bad and California is that bad for you sell and gtfo of California. Go to Texas where you’ll pay 2x the property tax for 1/2 the purchase price. Or some other state where the property taxes are what you want them to be
Oh and I bought a house two years ago. In So Cal. And I’m paying taxes . Oh how unfair that my neighbor who has lived here for 20 years is getting subsidized by my two years of paying taxes. Boo hoo it’s unfair. Dude grow up.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-18-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
You guys sure are mean to each other LOL

Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If P13 is so bad and California is that bad for you sell and gtfo of California.
Nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego