Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:53 PM

17 posts, read 13,891 times

Advertisements

I realize VC is very inland and Vista is way closer to beach, but other than beach and the heat (obvously way hotter in VC) what are the major differences?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM

381 posts, read 344,398 times
Vista is much more urbanized than Valley Center, which is a rural area northeast of SD. Completely different environments in almost every way... crime, traffic, businesses/amenities, housing, etc.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
Vista is much more urbanized than Valley Center, which is a rural area northeast of SD. Completely different environments in almost every way... crime, traffic, businesses/amenities, housing, etc.
I've done some research on the crime in Valley Center and it doesn't look bad, better than Vista. I work from home so not too worried about commute, but will be homeschooling my kids and I don't want to be too isolated. Wondering about traffic to the beach and down to San Diego.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 PM

I presume Valley Center has MUCH less crime than Vista. Don’t think there’s anything wrong with Valley Center other than being out in the sticks. If you work from home and have 9 kids it is probably a good choice.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:06 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,724 times
You even have to ask? LOL...Just giving you a hard time. Vista offers what you said and VC is rural with harder to find connections regarding homeschooling and the like. I'd choose Vista over VC ANY day of the week.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times
Valley Center is a big community... people know each other, there are no chain stores but only mom-n-pop businesses, etc. Vista has rural areas, but has gangs, crime, illegal aliens, etc. If I were picking, it's be VC hands-down.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Have you looked into Bonsall? You can have the rural feeling of Valley Center, but you aren’t so far removed. If I were to live in that neck of the woods it would be my first choice. I’d also go with San Marcos over Vista any day of the week. The fact you’re not commuting, and homeschooling your kids, Valley Center would be my choice over Vista. Our dog breeder lives in Valley Center, and while not my style, I can see the appeal, my wife absolutely loves it out there. Good luck

Old 06-15-2018, 10:42 AM

People that like rural areas will say Valley Center. People that like urban areas will say Vista. I'd visit both and see what you like.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Have you looked into Bonsall? You can have the rural feeling of Valley Center, but you aren’t so far removed. If I were to live in that neck of the woods it would be my first choice. I’d also go with San Marcos over Vista any day of the week. The fact you’re not commuting, and homeschooling your kids, Valley Center would be my choice over Vista. Our dog breeder lives in Valley Center, and while not my style, I can see the appeal, my wife absolutely loves it out there. Good luck
Thank you! I actually have looked at Bonsall, but found a home I really love in VC. Anyone I mention it to immediately comments on how far removed it is from everything, so it's worrying me.
I wouldn't mind a slower lifestyle and more room, but I wonder if the appeal will wear off quickly if I have an hour drive to the beach or if we wanted to go to downtown SD....

Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9kidsanddone View Post
Thank you! I actually have looked at Bonsall, but found a home I really love in VC. Anyone I mention it to immediately comments on how far removed it is from everything, so it's worrying me.
I wouldn't mind a slower lifestyle and more room, but I wonder if the appeal will wear off quickly if I have an hour drive to the beach or if we wanted to go to downtown SD....
Those are very valid concerns, and sound like they could be an issue for you. Now I may be wrong, but most people moving to Valley Center probably aren’t going to the beach, downtown, etc, all that often anyways. They choose the location because they’re removed, but still have options. I don’t know where the house is, but there’s valley center right off the 15, which wouldn’t be too bad, and there’s houses 15-20+ minutes off the 15 and down dirt roads, that would get old, for me at least.

Try renting for a year, 6 months if you can get it, and see how you like it. I also wouldn’t worry about prices going up too much, if at all, in that time frame where you’re looking at, if that’s a concern of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego