Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 PM

42 posts, read 221,616 times

Advertisements

Has San Diego ever experience earthquakes? When scientist have spoken of the "big one" where does SD stand? I've tried to look this up but have not found anything. With our economy where it is and all do you think a family of 6 can get a nice home and be able to make in SD? I am an RN but you know how that is regarding pay. My husband is a transportation supervisor and would have to look for something new; perhaps work from home. We live in Southeastern AZ and live about 2 hours away from Tucson, AZ. I don't know how much you guys know about Tucson and it's crime rate......it's pretty bad!......there is a lot of drive by's and home invasions concentrated in one area but now little by little have been spreading to other areas. Is this a problem in SD?
Thanks Connie and Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Don't worry about an earthquake, I'd be more concerned about the crimes where you are! Hope you find someplace safe soon Good luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:28 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
"The big one" refers almost always to the San Andreas fault slip, which from San Diego, is about 100 miles to the East in the Imperial Valley. San Diego does have faults... the 5 freeway through La Jolla is right on top of the Rose Canyon Fault, but they're much more stable than LA or San Francisco, so there's overall nothing to worry about... but it's not to say that it's impossible.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Move where you feel is best for you and your family, don't live in fear of natural disasters, they are everywhere in some way, shape, or form. As for crime there is crime here like anywhere else but all in all it's not as bad as some places, safer than Southern Arizona in my opinion.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 PM

83 posts, read 418,157 times
I lived in San Diego for 5 years and absolutely loved it there! We did experience earthquakes, but they were pretty mild. I think the biggest one that we had while I was there was in 2002 and it was probably a 4. Nothing compared to the big one that we had in San Francisco in `89 (I was in that one, too!). Crime does not seem to be a big problem in San Diego, as it always ranks as one of the safest big cities in the country. There are sections that you obviously want to avoid, however. No city is perfect. And cost of living is pretty expensive. I have been away a year and a half and I am ready to go back. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
The closest major fault to San Diego goes through the Salton Sea. Even with a major earthquake there, San Diego would maybe have something thrown off of a shelf. For Southern California, San Diego is probably the best place to be if you don't want to experience a major earthquake.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 AM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
You'd sooner get heatstroke in AZ before you'd ever feel an earthquake.

Don't believe the hype and stop watching disaster movies.

It's like watching "Twister" before considering Oklahoma or watching a Hurricane flick before considering the Eastern Seaboard.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 AM

264 posts, read 1,390,815 times
San Diego does have a risk of significant earthquakes and damage...

SDNHM: Faults and Earthquakes in San Diego County (http://www.sdnhm.org/research/paleontology/sdfaults.html - broken link)

However, buy earthquake insurance (as homeowners insurance doesn't cover quake damages), and don't worry about it. I lived in San Diego for 43 years and rarely even felt an earthquake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego