Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM

4,540 posts, read 12,406,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Aright, got another for ya!

2 or 3 blocks south of Univerisity between Park Ave and 30th?
The Wightman and Louisiana apartment would also be in the same area south of University between Park Blvd and 30th Street. The difference between the Wightman/Louisiana property and this later one, is that instead of being one block south of University you are now 2 to 3 blocks south. The quality of the neighborhood advances markedly the further south of University you go, and the closer you get to the northern edge of Balboa Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 AM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
Quote:
How is 30th St. just south of Upas?
In some ways I actually prefer this area to Morley Field, especially when looking from an SFH perspective (Not 30th itself, but the streets surrounding). It's not quite as accessible, so it's a bit quieter, and although it might be more of a pain from a walkability standpoint, quiet streets and the more manicured look are a huge plus for me, especially from a buying standpoint.

The areas directly in view of the canyons have some awesome estates and downright mansions, and the smaller homes further in, and going toward St. Augustine High and bordering Burlingame/South Park are very well kept on the whole. I personally think the housing stock in this area, like Burlingame or South Park, has been preserved a bit better than the rest of North Park, aside of course from the historical homes around Morley Field... which even still can still be somewhat subject to an "ACF" here or there that had gone in over the years.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
In some ways I actually prefer this area to Morley Field, especially when looking from an SFH perspective (Not 30th itself, but the streets surrounding). It's not quite as accessible, so it's a bit quieter, and although it might be more of a pain from a walkability standpoint, quiet streets and the more manicured look are a huge plus for me, especially from a buying standpoint.

The areas directly in view of the canyons have some awesome estates and downright mansions, and the smaller homes further in, and going toward St. Augustine High and bordering Burlingame/South Park are very well kept on the whole. I personally think the housing stock in this area, like Burlingame or South Park, has been preserved a bit better than the rest of North Park, aside of course from the historical homes around Morley Field... which even still can still be somewhat subject to an "ACF" here or there that had gone in over the years.
I gotcha, but I'm not really looking into buying anything since there's nothing in like the 150k-200k bracket (I don't really have the funds or will to purchase anything over that).

Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
Quote:
I gotcha, but I'm not really looking into buying anything since there's nothing in like the 150k-200k bracket (I don't really have the funds or will to purchase anything over that).
Gotcha, I was just trying to give a jist of the slightly more SFH home flavor of the 30th/below Upas area over the more "central" NP area, since there is a bit of difference between the two parts of NP.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post

Great post! I totally agree with everything you said.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Arighty through further searching I have a question about a couple more areas. How is University Heights just west of Park Blvd and North of Meade Ave?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Arighty through further searching I have a question about a couple more areas. How is University Heights just west of Park Blvd and North of Meade Ave?
It's an absolutely great area. You have access to a small, very walkable commercial district along Park Blvd, and with a bit more effort you can walk across the Vermont Street pedestrian bridge to access the attractions of Hillcrest.

The area behind Park Boulevard is safe to walk, (except during skunk season), and as you get further back onto Cleveland and Maryland, it is a very pleasant urban neighborhood. Along, Campus and North it is nearly entirely apartments, or houses with apartments behind them. Some of the apartments are aesthetically challenged, and not all of them have full amenities (A/C, Dishwasher, Laundry room, adequate parking if you have two cars).

Because the area is a cul-de-sac you don't get much in the way of transient oriented disturbances or crimes of opportunity. Problems will happen of course, as it is an urban neighborhood, but usually these problems occur to people with lifestyle issues regarding drug usage, or otherwise hanging out with the wrong crowd. Overall, it is a very good area. I think you would be pleased living there. However, it will probably carry a bit of rent premium over some other nearby areas, but not as much as Hillcrest itself.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
It's an absolutely great area. You have access to a small, very walkable commercial district along Park Blvd, and with a bit more effort you can walk across the Vermont Street pedestrian bridge to access the attractions of Hillcrest.

The area behind Park Boulevard is safe to walk, (except during skunk season), and as you get further back onto Cleveland and Maryland, it is a very pleasant urban neighborhood. Along, Campus and North it is nearly entirely apartments, or houses with apartments behind them. Some of the apartments are aesthetically challenged, and not all of them have full amenities (A/C, Dishwasher, Laundry room, adequate parking if you have two cars).

Because the area is a cul-de-sac you don't get much in the way of transient oriented disturbances or crimes of opportunity. Problems will happen of course, as it is an urban neighborhood, but usually these problems occur to people with lifestyle issues regarding drug usage, or otherwise hanging out with the wrong crowd. Overall, it is a very good area. I think you would be pleased living there. However, it will probably carry a bit of rent premium over some other nearby areas, but not as much as Hillcrest itself.
That's good to hear, I'm actually noticing that for 1 BR's/Studios it seems to be a pretty decent area. The other parts I'm looking in are more like 2+ BR houses (I have a couple of friends moving here in Sept./Oct. so I'll probably look around there when the time comes). Thanks for the info!

Is it general like that west/north of Washington St.? I noticed a bunch of apartments along Campus Ave that are in my price range.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
That's good to hear, I'm actually noticing that for 1 BR's/Studios it seems to be a pretty decent area. The other parts I'm looking in are more like 2+ BR houses (I have a couple of friends moving here in Sept./Oct. so I'll probably look around there when the time comes). Thanks for the info!

Is it general like that west/north of Washington St.? I noticed a bunch of apartments along Campus Ave that are in my price range.
Yes I was talking about the area north and west of Washington Street. However, if you can afford it, I would get at least one block away from Washington Street itself. Washington Street has such a volume of cars, and you have the 163 onramp (that's what the Vermont Street pedestrian bridge crosses) that at least to my taste there would be too much traffic noise, and traffic exhaust. Then again, if you are needing to keep rent as low as possible, being close to Washington Street might be the compromise that you make. Also, being really close to Washington Street gets you more of the thru traffic. By that I mean people driving to their homes and apartments in the interior of the neighborhood will all be driving right by your house/apartment, and, if the area does get any transient oriented crime, or unpleasantness, it would be in the area closest to the southern edge along Washington Street.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Yes I was talking about the area north and west of Washington Street. However, if you can afford it, I would get at least one block away from Washington Street itself. Washington Street has such a volume of cars, and you have the 163 onramp (that's what the Vermont Street pedestrian bridge crosses) that at least to my taste there would be too much traffic noise, and traffic exhaust. Then again, if you are needing to keep rent as low as possible, being close to Washington Street might be the compromise that you make. Also, being really close to Washington Street gets you more of the thru traffic. By that I mean people driving to their homes and apartments in the interior of the neighborhood will all be driving right by your house/apartment, and, if the area does get any transient oriented crime, or unpleasantness, it would be in the area closest to the southern edge along Washington Street.
Yeah, I mean if there's any compromise I'm going to make, street noise is fine. My bedroom faces Ingraham St. shortly after the bridge coming north and it hasn't really been an issue. After a while I guess I just tune it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: