Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 31,968 times

Advertisements

I just moved to PB and was wondering where some good spots are for cheap, vintage or antique furniture. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM

112 posts, read 296,835 times
I think mentioning places such as businesses is against the CD rules. Unless you're also asking if there's ever a good area of town with really good yard sales. That's probably where I would start, personally, as well as the local small charity stores. If you're wanting business names maybe someone can PM you with some suggestions.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
As far as I know you can mention businesses all you want, as long as they aren't your own.
For vintage furniture, try the many antique stores/malls on Newport Ave in Oceanside. Also, the big Consign place on Hancock St. downtown.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 PM

112 posts, read 296,835 times
My bad.

OP, if you find something you really like, could you post it? I could use some info like that as well. I should (hopefully) be there by end of summer.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM

21 posts, read 31,968 times
Awesome, thanks! Definitely going to check those out.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Try the thrift stores, Salvation Army has a great selection. The downtown store is across the street from where the furniture donations come in, so they have more of a selection. That's where I've bought all of mine, and plan to buy more there.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollie.donovan3 View Post
I just moved to PB and was wondering where some good spots are for cheap, vintage or antique furniture. Thanks!
There is a gal that has a place on Park Blvd near Balboa Park, south of University called Nest Vintage. She mostly deals with mid century furniture that is in great condition. Its all used stuff so prices are actually very reasonable.
She actually re-upholstered an old vintage chair we picked up at Goodwill. We didnt keep it, but made a tidy profit on resale.

In Ocean Beach on Newport, there are several Vintage shops that might be closer to where you live and have good deals. Also as mentioned in Pt Loma in the Midway area there is a Goodwill and Salvation Army. Try Father Joes Villages as well.

I dont think you will have a problem once you arrive though, tons of these shops everywhere

Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
I wouldn't buy any furniture from Father Joe's thrift stores at all. I've seen what comes in. Goodwill doesn't have much of a selection, though. Salvation Army has the best selection of furniture, and I've bought all of mine there. The downtown store has more furniture, because it's across the street from the warehouse. There's also a store on El Cajon Blvd in the College Area, and also Point Loma, and Salvation Army prices are much lower than Goodwill, too.

You might want to call a Salvation Army thrift store and ask when their sale days are. The best deals are the 40% off days, but they have other types of sales, also.

I'm a thrift store junkie, and Salvation Army is my favorite.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,636 times
there are some vintage/antique stores on Newport Av in Ocean Beach.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollie.donovan3 View Post
Check SD Craigslist for sale sections including furniture, free section, and garage sale section.

The following search may help: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/searc...inAsk=&maxAsk=

Check for yard sales all over SD, especially in PB and Clairemont. They happen every Saturday morning starting around 7am. You can check for them on Craigslist, or drive around the neighborhood and look for yard sale signs on the roads.

Check Kobey's Swap Meet on Fri, Sat, Sun mornings 7am - 3pm. It's right near PB, on Sports Arena Blvd in Point Loma. It's held in the parking lot of the Valley View Center (formerly called Sports Arena).
Kobey's is huge, and has hundreds of people selling used stuff. Sunday is the biggest day. I recommend arriving around 7am because the best used items may be already be sold if you arrive later in the morning or afternoon.

There are also Goodwill and Salvation Army stores located on Sports Arena Blvd near Rosecrans Ave, just a few blocks away from Kobey's.

And as Clevelandgal recommended, there are several antique stores in Ocean Beach.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-28-2013 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego