Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times

Advertisements

I've read more than a few times here about people getting bored of having nice weather all the time. I'm not sure I understand?

Before you make assumptions, I lived in Flagstaff, AZ for 3 years during college so I know what it's like to live a 4 season climate. While it was never unbearably hot ( I drove down to Phoenix on weekends for that), there was enough cold and snow to keep me inside between November and March.

As I look out the window of my office at yet another sunny, partly cloudy day, I can't imagine why I would want to look at gray skies or 3 foot snow drifts. I think I'd be bored if I had to stay indoors for weeks out of the month due to snow/cold or heat/humidity. Am I wrong here? Of course, I love the occasional rainy days, which we do have, but I'd never want the gloom of Seattle or oppressive heat of Houston to live with.

Can someone help me understand the "boring weather" comments. I don't want to debate the issue, I just want to hear what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Can someone help me understand the "boring weather" comments. I don't want to debate the issue, I just want to hear what others think.
I grew up on the east coast, and I can appreciate the change of seasons. I particularly love the late summer / early fall on the east coast. Cool, crisp air, gorgeous full trees turning. I like the winter too .. cold weather, even snow - but commuting in the rainy NY slop is no fun.

I personally love it when it rains here - but I love the sunshine too. I'm hitting the skatepark today after work - not an option back east in February. The only thing I really don't like is excessive heat - and the santa ana winds.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:37 PM

^^I agree, Fall is the most beautiful time of the year in most of the country.

LOL, that reminds me of when I visited friends in upstate NY during the Fall. It was drop dead gorgeous and full of color. It seems to be everyone's favorite season out there. When I mentioned that I wish SD could look like this in the Fall, the conversation quickly turned to "Well....it's nice now, but in 3 weeks all of the leaves will be gone and you won't see anything green till April, and don't forget the slushy conditions to follow on top of the many rainy days during Spring...blah, blah...". His tone quickly changed from "yeah, it is beautiful isn't it?", to the anticipated depression of the cold Winter and wet Spring to come.

That's when I realized that we have it pretty good here

Old 03-01-2007, 03:43 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
The only people I hear saying this are the ones either out of state or moving out of state and trying to justify something.

I moved out of state, and you'll never hear me dribble on about boring weather.

Something like weather needs to be boring because it gives you time/freedom to think about and do alot of other things in life. In most parts of the country, alot of thought is put into the weather....there are better things to be concerned about, hence Socal's charm.

Ok, so it's neat to see leaves change colors,the naysayers can have that...

But..rain, snow, ice, intense summers...they suck. Dry itchy skin and aggravated sinus from the heat blowing 24/7, it sucks.

Now, is weather the #1 reason you pick a place to live ? Some here think so. I did also for many years, but have since moved some other growth related items to the front of the line.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
Weather is a huge factor for my wife and one of the main reasons we are based in Southern California despite its many challenges. Texas has a lot to offer, but the oppressive heat and occasional storms were not pleasant. My sister moved to eastern Tennessee for the four seasons, so it depends on your perspective.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
I'm not from out of state, and I think the weather here is boring. I just really like the cold. I'll crank the A/C in my house and car on barely sunny days because I just like to freeze. I also like winter clothes. I'm not a "laid back" dresser, and the fact that I never get to use my long coats disappoint me.

Change can be nice, believe it or not. I wouldn't want to live in Antarctica, but I like some cold, then I get sick of it after about 5 months, and then I'm ready for heat for about 5 months. After, I'm sick of it and I'm ready for the cold again.

You might think I have reverse seasonal attitude disorder, because there's nothing that bothers me more than 80 degrees the week of Thanksgiving. I'm of the school of thought that winter should be cold. A little fog in SD makes everyone want to stay inside, but it's the perfect going out weather for me. It's when the sun's beating down that I'd rather stay in.

Really, the only time I can say that I truly don't like SD weather is from about September to December. The Santa Anas make my lips chapped and I get cold sores from it, and I guess I really like fall.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 PM

28 posts, read 256,845 times
I've lived in places with endless sun and good weather for most of my life. I never really experienced different seasons to any significant degree. Now that I do, I'm enjoying it. I think there are some people, like me, who like to change with the seasons. One comes, and I enjoy it for awhile, then I get just a bit antsy in anticipation of the next season, which usually comes just in time.

And then there are those, like sdurbanite, that are indifferent to, or don't care much for a larger diversity of weather than what s/he's getting. I think it's great that you're where you want to be weather-wise.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:30 AM

Great responses, Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Something like weather needs to be boring because it gives you time/freedom to think about and do alot of other things in life.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Do people really want to leave the house when it's raining or snowing outside? And where do you go anyways? The local enclosed mall or a movie are good options I guess.

I can handle some rainy days now and then, but I wouldn't want the weather to prevent me from walking out of my door. That probably makes me wimpie,Call me wimpie if you must......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5
Change can be nice, believe it or not.
But the weather does change here. While it's not nearly as extreme as the rest of the country, it's definitely not monotonous. I'd say Miami and Honolulu have more boring weather than us. Our Winter lows dip into the upper 30's and 40's, which is cold enough to get the fireplace going at night, while summer temps inland can reach 100 degrees at times.

I think the best thing about living here is our close proximity to different environments. If I wanna make a snow angel, I can drive about 45 minutes into the mountains to do that. And if it's the blazing desert I crave, Borrego and Palm Springs are only 2 hours away.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
The weather there changes just enough to make you long for summer in the winter and pray for winter in the summer. It's perfect, seriously.

Fires are about the only thing you ever need to worry about. Heavy rainfall also takes a toll on the area because the drainage systems see so little rainfal that when it rains, you see all the problems bubble up to a head. But those two things are few and far between.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,417 times
This thread is funny to em since I'm from NY, lived in SF and have lived up here in Calgary, the craziest. most insane place for waether anywhere in North America (and primary reason why I'll be joining you all next month when we move)

On any given winter day, the temperature can be five below zero when you go to sleep and fifty five when you wake up. Fifty degree temperature swings on the same day are routine. They are called "Chinook Winds" and they are caused by the a warm pacific West wind hitting the cold mountains. The phenomenon is called a "Chinook Arch" and it looks like an enormous giant dark hurricane cloud that covers 80% of the horizon, blows 50MPH warm winds, raises the temperature almost instantly and cause migraine headaches to many.

The weather forecast is totally useless because there is no scientific way to know what will happen in the foothills of the Rockies. If they say plus five (45 degrees), odds are it will be minus ten (18 degrees) and vice versa.

Complaining about sunshine and a five degree temperature variance is nuts to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego