Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,294 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move out there in June or so and I was looking into the job market. I see that there are staffing companies and schools, and a lot of jobs in healthcare. I just need a heads-up from locals in the area. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks so much. Also are the schools very good for elementary to high school, my kids range in ages and take college classes during their summers?
What areas are best and least expensive to live in? Thanks again. I'll be checking your posts, very informative. K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,738 times
K, we need some more details.

What is your field? San Diego County is HUGE. So of course there are good and bad schools, good and bad areas, good and bad people.

If you don't have jobs lined up before you come, don't come. It's not a good job market at all right now.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:56 PM

105 posts, read 338,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
K, we need some more details.

What is your field? San Diego County is HUGE. So of course there are good and bad schools, good and bad areas, good and bad people.

If you don't have jobs lined up before you come, don't come. It's not a good job market at all right now.
Definitely true considering you have kids. If it were just you, you could come out for a few weeks and set up a local phone (vonage or prepaid cell) and temp address and send out as many resumes as possible, but kind of hard to do that having kids. It's very hard to line up jobs here if you're not living in the area because of the flake factor of people wanting to move here with $500 in the bank. Depends on your line of work though..if you have something very special and rare to bring to the table, it might be doable.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye7 View Post
My family and I are looking to move out there in June or so and I was looking into the job market. I see that there are staffing companies and schools, and a lot of jobs in healthcare. I just need a heads-up from locals in the area. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks so much. Also are the schools very good for elementary to high school, my kids range in ages and take college classes during their summers?
What areas are best and least expensive to live in? Thanks again. I'll be checking your posts, very informative. K.
It's better then most of California (9.2% unemployment instead of 11.2%) but that's still not very good. We got clobbered by the subprime housing crisis and it's taking a huge toll on the local economy.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
It really does depend on what you do. Some sectors like construction have been decimated. However if you are in bioscience the demand is probably still there. I am in IT and it is weak but not terrible. Most companies are laying off or holding off on hiring right now. San Diego has a limited job market so you have to be more specific about what it is you do.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,057 times
Horrible job market here and high cost of living. I would agree with the other folks who said have a job lined up before moving here. I worked with a company for 8 1/2 years and got laid off 2 months ago...still can't find a job with 16 years experience. There will always be a job market in healthcare, education and computer industry. No need to worry about that. I wish you luck and hope everything works out whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,974 times
Correction. I have been watching San Diego's home prices and they have decreased over the last two years to a point where I thing San Deigo is a relative deal.

Think about it, a major ciy with excellent weather year round, a diverse economy and where everyone lives no further that 1 hour from the ocean.

Utopia, of course not, but it is a very nice place to live.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:49 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,738 times
It may be "a deal," but that is relative. When the average home price in San Diego County is still around 350-400k, that means realistically to be able to afford that house, you should be making about 150k/year.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:11 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,584,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
It may be "a deal," but that is relative. When the average home price in San Diego County is still around 350-400k, that means realistically to be able to afford that house, you should be making about 150k/year.
I would say at least that much a year to afford a house of that price. Many banks are looking for the loan to be no more than 2x your annual income. Everyone's so trigger shy because of this housing crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego