Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,438 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife & I with a year old son are moving to SD from India. My wife will be working in Rancho Bernardo area, I will be home with son. She will be making about 68000$ PA. Would like to know a good locality to rent with no violance, what could be rent for 1BR flat with some recreational facilities. We have to send about $1800 back to India. Would like to put or son in daycare as well, what could be the charges for that. If I add these expenses & possible rent. Would it be doable....

Any help is welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM

15 posts, read 59,932 times
Perhaps try the Mira Mesa area? I know that there are quite a few Indians in that area if you are interested. Not sure about specifics though, hopefully others can elaborate.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 23,927 times
Mira Mesa area has a lot of Indians. Not sure if you can survive with a goal to send $1800 to India every month. You would have to really cut corners.
My calculation was based on:
$68000 *.65 (taxes + other) = 44000/12 = $3600 p.m. in hand. Now if you send $1800 every month to India, you are left with 1800 for yourself, in which you have to take care of rent (probably around $1000 for a one bedroom) and other living expenses ($800 left). Think about it on those lines

Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 15,818 times
I think you have to contact a local real estate agent and ask them about the same, they will assist you better than us. You can also found the same information on Google. There are lots of online real estate sites from where you can get the solution of your problem.

Sophia...

Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 PM

238 posts, read 556,326 times
If I may ask, and you don't have to reply: Do you HAVE to send the $1800 each month? I mean, is this for parents or something where they'll understand if it's less sometimes, or some kind of contract deal where you can't miss the payment? 'Coz as seen in bhatia's analysis you are going to be cutting it VERY fine if not outright be in arrears. If it is a contract and it's legal you should be able to shield that money from taxes and be in a much lower tax bracket, which will help a little but IMO not enough to make you comfortable.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,438 times
The $1800 mentioned can be bought down to 1000 & we can manage back home obligations. Otherwise we should be fine right?
Thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 AM

238 posts, read 556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suragi101 View Post
The $1800 mentioned can be bought down to 1000 & we can manage back home obligations. Otherwise we should be fine right?
Thanks
'Fine' is a relative term. Even so you are still walking on the edge. I just saw that you mention staying at home with son AND putting him in daycare. The latter could eat up all that $800.

I think you need to revisit your priorities and read a bit more here about cost of living in SD. By all I have seen it is not cheap. You didn't mention having an emergency fund, backup plans, etc. I understand you may be young but you still have family responsibilities. It's one thing to strike out into the great unknown when strong, young and single but you are missing at least one of those elements. Are you able to work if the going gets tough, like in food service or other things to keep things afloat?

I wouldn't do what you're planning based on the info you gave us, but I am older and less prone to risk-taking. I'll take them but need at least some sort of safety net, even if it's a small one. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego