Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 AM

200 posts, read 354,126 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving over, mid year, from Australia with family and our dog.

What do i need to worm/treat/vaccinate my dog against?

Where I live in Aust I have to worm and tick treat monthly. Heart worm and C5 injection vaccination yearly, plus monthly flea treatment.

I treat for paralysis ticks every two weeks.

Also, what are vet fees like in San Diego. ATM i pay $70 for a basic consult with vet, not including treatments etc.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Your dog will need to be vaccinated against Rabies, which is a 3 yr. vac. As wells as DHPP ( Distemper, Hepatitis, Para/Parvo....it is an all in one, and also 3 yr. Plan on monthly meds of Heartworm and flea and tick. If you plan on having your dog on hiking trails or in a rural area, a good idea might be the vac for Rattlesnakes( (yearly). It is not required, but a smart move. If you plan on boarding your dog, Bordetella dose is required by all boarding facilities.( every 6 months)
To walk in the door at a Vet. is usually around $50, could be a bit more or a bit less, depending. That does not include any treatments.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Wow, thanks.

Rattlesnake vac?? Wow. Are there really that many? Are the dogs attracted to their rattles? We currently live on a bushy acreage and we have red belly black snakes and there are also browns and tigers in the area (but i've only seen black on our property), all venomous and deadly. However, we don't vac. against them as the dogs/horses tend to scare them away when they bark and run around them. I guess it would be the vibrations that would scare the snakes off. Horses and dogs do get the odd bite, but it's rare. Anti-venom is very expensive (thousands $$$).

What's the advice when seeing a rattlesnake? We are taught in Australia when you come across a snake, stand still and let it pass. They generally try to stay out of your way. Browns can be aggressive, but most snakes are placid (but very scary!!). Do rattle snakes try to get out of your way? Do they blend in so well to ground that you are likely to stand on one?? Do you think the vac. is really necessary or just a money making thing for the vets? Are snake bites on dogs common?

I would like to hike with my dog. She's a poodle, but she loves the bush and bounding through the scrub.

TIA

Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
I would go to the Customs website as well. I am sure there are requirements for taking a live animal into the country. I don't know if this is the case for you coming to the United States, but if I were to move to your neighbor to the east, New Zealand, my cats would have to be quarantined for a month.

Also, one thing to remember is that if you live in the city, your chances to let the dog go off leash will be limited. There is no way my sister could move here from Alaska, for example. Her dog is used to going off leash, and for him to be leashed would be too much of a transition for him.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM

We were told by more than one vet, that the Rattlesnake vac. would be a good idea. We have 5 acres, with having just moved here from Texas, in May. In Texas, in the area in which we lived, our dog would have been hard pressed to find a Rattler. Here, it is more rural and are told they are seen quite often. Again, I am in a rural area of San Diego. We have yet to see one, but for the $25 it cost me, it is peace of mind, that should he be bit, he has a fighting chance to live. And yes, the anti-venom is extremely expensive.
We started training our dogs, when they are pups to "leave it". This goes for snakes too. So far, even with the few non-poisonous , garden variety snake, our Golden has let them be.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM

$25, bargain! I will def get it then. Something like that in Aust would be so expensive.

I pay $100 for yearly C5 Vac (Distemper, Hep, Parvo, Canine Cough) and $75 for yearly heartworm. Worming is about $7 a month and tick treatments cost just over $30 a month.

I don't spend anywhere near this on my horse. Just $11 a month for worming. Cheap as chips.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_magic View Post
Wow, thanks.

Rattlesnake vac?? Wow. Are there really that many? Are the dogs attracted to their rattles? We currently live on a bushy acreage and we have red belly black snakes and there are also browns and tigers in the area (but i've only seen black on our property), all venomous and deadly. However, we don't vac. against them as the dogs/horses tend to scare them away when they bark and run around them. I guess it would be the vibrations that would scare the snakes off. Horses and dogs do get the odd bite, but it's rare. Anti-venom is very expensive (thousands $$$).

What's the advice when seeing a rattlesnake? We are taught in Australia when you come across a snake, stand still and let it pass. They generally try to stay out of your way. Browns can be aggressive, but most snakes are placid (but very scary!!). Do rattle snakes try to get out of your way? Do they blend in so well to ground that you are likely to stand on one?? Do you think the vac. is really necessary or just a money making thing for the vets? Are snake bites on dogs common?

I would like to hike with my dog. She's a poodle, but she loves the bush and bounding through the scrub.

TIA
A lot will depend on where you move into San Diego and where you will take your dogs. My oldest dog just turned five and I've never seen a rattlesnake with her. Now 95% of our walks aren't in the most rugged of environments, but two places that I do take my dogs (Fiesta Island and Lake Murray) either have signs for snakes or there have been posts here about snake sightings there. Other than a snake skin that I saw in the backyard of my Spring Valley house when I lived there (in a somewhat natural setting - - our backyard were wild grasses and flowers rather than a manicured lawn), I've never seen even the remnanats of a snake.

When I was a kid in Pennsylvania, my family's golden retriever got bit by a rattlesnake. Apparently they do have an odor to them - - I've heard it described as smelling faintly of milk or nuts. We were camping and were on a walk in the woods, and she stuck her head under a fallen log and was bit. It took a while to get back to the campsite and then awhile longer to get to the closest vet and my dad had to carry her down the trail because of how quickly the venom got into her and affected her motor functions. She survived, but it was certainly a scare to see how quickly and effectively that venom worked!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
One rattler in our backyard last year--3 the year before! If you choose to live on or near a canyon, be prepared for them. Our vet advised against the rattlesnake vac. She said it only provides a minimum of protection, and can be dangerous to the dog, so do discuss it with the vet you choose. The rattler awareness training involves shock treatment (of the dog! Not the snake ), so we're not thrilled with that, either. We had a "snake guy" come and remove one of the snakes the year before, and did an impromptu training session with our dog, teaching her to stay away. We hope it worked...but it is a constant worry for us. However, we chose to be close to nature. If you're just a few streets removed from a nature area you should have no problems, and just keep an eye out for rattlers when you take your dog for walks (on a leash) in nature areas. The greatest areas for letting your dog run off leash are the dog beaches: no snakes there!

In answer to your question: yes, rattlers do get out of the way if they hear you coming. But sometimes a dog will surprise them, and that's when they strike. And sometimes they're sluggish, sunning themselves. In Nov.-March the snakes are less active. Still, they're around, not dormant. So just be aware. Before we moved to our East County canyon years ago we never saw a rattler.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 02-16-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 AM

Agreed on the speaking with your vet first. Our Golden got his first Rattler Vac in Tx. when we were sure we were making the move here. There was little to no threat to him where we lived in Tx. But our vet there was adamant about him being vaccinated in this area. ( he was originally from San Diego and grew up in these parts). Once we got here and I was interviewing different vets, I inquired about the Vac to each and every one of them. They all highly recommended it for our area. Do a google search...there is lots of info on the subject.

Rattlesnake Vaccines Basics

Also:
Q. How safe is rattlesnake vaccine for pets?
A. Rattlesnake vaccine is laboratory tested, government approved, and has been used in over one hundred thousand dogs over many years. Thousands of veterinary clinics nationwide recommend this vaccine for dogs at risk. The side effects are rare and typically very mild. About 1% of dogs may get a temporary lump at the injection site that doesn’t bother the dog and goes away by its self in a few weeks. Temporary flu like symptoms are reported in about one in 3,000 vaccinations and other miscellaneous symptoms are reported in fewer than one in 15,000 vaccinations. These systemic symptoms are rare, and don’t appear to have any pattern, so it is possible that many are coincidental and unrelated to the vaccine use. Even the most severe side effect reasonably attributable to the vaccine is likely to be much easier for a veterinarian to treat than a moderate rattlesnake bite.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 02-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Edited to add additional text

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Very useful info, Shelby. Thanks. Our vet was adamantly opposed to administering the vac, so I don't know what was up with that. We'll do some research ourselves...the pooch is overdue for a visit to the vet, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego