Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,940,353 times

Advertisements

Is such a by car summer trip from SD to Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia doable? If so, how much time should I set aside? Should I eliminate any from this list? Any specific recs of places to stay, things to do, eateries there and along the way? We like to relatively nonstrenous hike (kids ages 5 and 9) and see good nature. Swimming is good; pure camping not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,061,093 times
Yes, its doable. I would spend about 2 or 3 days in each place, so set aside 10-14 days total for vacation to include the drive up there and back. I'm not sure about Tahoe, but I am wanting to do a trip to Sequoia and Yosemite someday, and I'll give myself a week for that.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
there are some sequoia groves in/near yosemite, so if you would only be going there for the trees, you're probably better off spending more time in yosemite. yosemite is amazing, perhaps the most beautiful location on this planet. you could easily spend 4 days there with a young family even if you're not big hikers. just make sure you stay in the valley, the next closest hotels are a 45 minute drive into the valley, which gets old if you have to go in and out every day. i stayed at the lodge the last time i was there and besides the fact it didn't have a/c, it was a great!

tahoe is also very nice, but a long drive from SD. Yosemite is pretty far as well, but Tahoe is really far. i'm also not sure about the summer time activities in tahoe besides the gambling. i know the water in the lake is very cold even in the summer, so don't plan on doing any swimming without wetsuits. there is a gold course, but with the family i'm guessing you won't have time to sneak in a round.

whatever you decide, good luck and have a great trip!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Great advice so far. Sounds like I should skip Tahoe. How do I know I'm in the Valley at Yosemite?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,153,706 times
This trip does seem redundant to me. Forest with redwoods and waterfalls, forest with redwoods, and then some more forest?

The Valley at Yosemite is pretty well defined. It is the section of 140 east of the junction with the 41.

The optimal time to visit Yosemite, as anyone will tell you, is in May or June except on the Memorial Day weekend. By May it's warm enough, most roads are open, and waterfalls are at their fullest.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM

What's the Yosemite temperature in May, June, July, August?
Maybe just a drive by/through to Sequoia, but a longer stay in Yosemite.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
How do I know I'm in the Valley at Yosemite?
trust me, you'll know, it is extremely apparent. make sure you stop at the view point after you drive through the tunnel, you will be in awe!

as for temps, it gets hot in the summer (upwards of 100), but it's not overwhelming.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Is such a by car summer trip from SD to Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia doable? If so, how much time should I set aside? Should I eliminate any from this list? Any specific recs of places to stay, things to do, eateries there and along the way? We like to relatively nonstrenous hike (kids ages 5 and 9) and see good nature. Swimming is good; pure camping not so much.
We did nearly the same trip when my brother and I were about the same age as your kids- Sequoia, Yosemite, and Kings Canyon. We spent 3-4 days in each place, I think the trip was like a week and half total.

I still remember that as being the most AWESOME family vacation ever. We inner-tubed down the river in Sequoia and swam under waterfalls, hiked up to emerald pool in Yosemite (where I had so much fun on the slick rock 'waterslides' that I wore through the bottom of my bathing suit!), looked down from the top of half dome, and saw snakes and deer and bears! (Someone left a can of pre-sweetened kool-aid mix on the picnic table one night in King's Canyon, and we awoke to a bear not 20 feet from our tent with his nose stuffed inside it. In the morning the can was still there, empty except for some bear spit.)

Anyway, sorry to ramble, I don't suppose this answered any of your questions, really, but your post brought back some great memories for me, and I thought I'd share

Old 01-05-2010, 05:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
Tahoe is 9 hours. To me that isn't that far if you stop along the way. Sounds like a great trip- I don't find the trip to be redundant. Lake Tahoe and Yosemite are both must sees.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Tahoe is 9 hours. To me that isn't that far if you stop along the way. Sounds like a great trip- I don't find the trip to be redundant. Lake Tahoe and Yosemite are both must sees.
Thanks. What is great about Tahoe - what is fun, cool to do there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego