Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times

Advertisements

And that is the best logic I have heard all day, jghall00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
If i had the cash, I would buy two houses.

I've been looking at rentals....If I have the second baby and want to move into a bigger house... if you want a nice house or even townhome... they are 2500-3000+ to rent.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
If i had the cash, I would buy two houses.

I've been looking at rentals....If I have the second baby and want to move into a bigger house... if you want a nice house or even townhome... they are 2500-3000+ to rent.
You can find a nice rental for 2 babies or older for a bit less than your range, 2000-2400, which include safe neighborhood, nearby park, reasonable downtown, good school, easy parking, temperate microclimate, within 3 miles of ocean.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
You can find a nice rental for 2 babies or older for a bit less than your range, 2000-2400, which include safe neighborhood, nearby park, reasonable downtown, good school, easy parking, temperate microclimate, within 3 miles of ocean.
Depends what you consider nice. If I am going to blow 2500 bucks a month on renting, it had better be freaking nice.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:40 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Depends what you consider nice. If I am going to blow 2500 bucks a month on renting, it had better be freaking nice.

What can you buy that's "freaking nice" that pencils out as a rental?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:41 PM

A less optimistic view:

Housing price drop in county predicted - SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
What can you buy that's "freaking nice" that pencils out as a rental?
Nowhere, that's my point! But most people rent crappy houses, and those are a dime a dozen these days.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Nowhere, that's my point! But most people rent crappy houses, and those are a dime a dozen these days.
OK, what dumps can you buy and get $2500 a month rent?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 AM

8 posts, read 18,777 times
1. A house is not an ATM or an investment. It's a place to sleep, s***, and escape from bugs and inclement weather. People need to realize that the days of buying for 400k and selling for 500k - 2 years later, is long gone. Housing is still way overpriced compared to median incomes. Realistically, any house over 300k isn't affordable unless you make over 100k per year. There are approx 0 respectable houses in the SD metro area less than 300k. The average Joe doesn't make even close to 100k. I often wonder how anyone in SoCal can afford to own here.

2. Stop drinking the kool-aid about housing recovery. The only reason the housing numbers have been up in the last year is the government was propping up the housing market with tax credits. Once the credits expired, the market fell off a cliff. In a state such as CA, where real unemployment is reaching 20%, recovery is a pipe dream.

3. HOWEVER, if you really love San Diego and plan to stay for good, by all means buy now. That's the point of a house - a place to stay. Not an investment. But make sure you are fully invested in SoCal culture and are OK with it long term. Personally, I'm not fully sold. Yes, the weather is amazing. But you also have bad traffic, overpriced houses, obnoxiously self-centered people, and dysfunctional government. On the whole, I would say SoCal is overrated. But if you're cool with it, by all means.....

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
The area has appeal. The best consequence is out of state lure in settle down-retirement. Can't the region see this and focus on suppressing the possibly over done media hype in all the negative.

In other words, focus on a go to place that has it all. Failing that, the negative will come through and people just ...DON"T, want to go to a place that is overwhelmed with negative people in a downer location.

Start with reasonably low crime, save auto's, reasonably safe neighborhoods, weather....the list goes on and on. You need....NEW....MONEY. so you need a ....NEW ...IDEA

I think this is the reality's collective responsibility, instead of saying "buy" why not get real with some new ideas and programs.

I thought a common villain brings the neighborhood together...? Hey Realtors get together.
You have a product, and the marketing is weak.

Check SD on line.....Google....nothing there.....Check Florida....Google....their a little ahead in the ball game.

Just thinking.....its gotta be new money, don't wait around for miracles or Arnie to pull the rabbit out of the dumb-bell.

Look into incentive plans , possible extended stay per quantity investment(can you not compete with Florida) for big spending out of country, Europe, Canada...
Theres so much product its insane......Wake up you guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego