Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 57,730 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

it is currently around -6°C or 20°F here in Hamburg, and I have had it! Enough with the cold and the rain all year! So I am currently researching alternatives. Since I am somewhat on a budget, I have a few questions about living in San Diego and any help would be greatly appreciated! Here it goes:

How much is the average cost of utilities (water, gas, electricity plus whatever cost might be considered to fall in this category) a month for an urban 1 bedroom apartment?

It seems possible, albeit difficult, to find a somewhat decent place for less then $1000, especially since I don't need much room, but I have no idea how much these extras would be. Here in Germany, I pay about €125/month (about $180) on top of my rent, is that somewhat comparable?

Oh, and bonus-question : I realize that this would be almost impossible to answer, but maybe you can help me... I plan on buying a car, a small hatchback, something like a Nissan Versa or Ford Focus, for less than $10.000, so it would probably be about 3-5 years old. I am female, 28, (perfect driving record for ten years, but that might not count, since it is over here). Is there any way to estimate how much the insurance would be?

Thank you for your time and answers!

Julia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 AM

176 posts, read 634,756 times
Our utilities (San Diego Gas & Electric) are usually $40-55 in the winter, $60-85 in the summer.
We don't pay for water or trash in our apartment, just SDGE.

For insurance, probably around $110 a month.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Default Thank You!

Very helpful information ! Thank You!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM

22 posts, read 72,223 times
I have a 2,000 sq foot home in a modern subdivision.

Right now, its 67 degrees in my house, I dont turn the heat on until it drops to 66...I lost my full time job, I am solely a Passion Party consultant, doing in-home parties. Its good work, but "doesnt pay the bills".

Our electric bill is around $80 a month. Working only with passion parties, the TV is on a lot during the day, as I scan the internet and do the office work related to Passion Parties. If I got a full time job, the bill would drop because the TV wouldnt be on during business hours.

Our Monthly bills: water bill is $40, (We use 3 units of water- the average usage is 10) trash is picked up every week, we pay $30 every 2 months. Telephone service is $100 for two cell phones and one land line. Cable and internet are in a basic no frills package for $100, and we have Mello Roos (additional taxes to pay for the new roads, schools, parks) which adds a LOT to our mortgage. 1/3 of the mortgage payment goes to that, and property taxes are another chunk. The Home Owner Association Fees are another $108 per month...

When you settle on a place, check that there are NO home owner assoc. fees and no mello roos.
I did not fully understand these bills and they were not clearly explained to me when I bought-- we're a US military family came in from Europe, I budgeted carefully to buy "this much house", but now we're treading water because the mello roos and HOA fees pushed the budget out of whack.

It doesnt help that Passion Parties is my only income, hopefully that will change soon.

Hope this helps, I hope my honest disclosure and intimate sharing of our bills and monthly picture helps you get a fuller view of the costs and rewards of living and owning a home in San Diego.

I love my home, my community, San Diego

Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Thank You!

Yes, Your information is very helpful to me! I am assessing my situation right now, trying to figure out what makes sense and what I can afford, so any input is greatly appreciated! After selling my business at the end of last year and my personal life more or less falling apart, I am financially and socially at a point where I NEED something new, so I thought: Why not go to school, get that degree you started but never finished and do it somewhere nice... However, getting a clear picture of the cost of this endeavor is frustratingly complicated! So I am very grateful for the information you shared! Have a great day! Julia

Old 01-21-2010, 12:01 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euseys View Post
I have a 2,000 sq foot home in a modern subdivision.

Right now, its 67 degrees in my house, I dont turn the heat on until it drops to 66...I lost my full time job, I am solely a Passion Party consultant, doing in-home parties. Its good work, but "doesnt pay the bills".
What's a Passion Party?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 PM

176 posts, read 634,756 times
I've heard they are like tupperware parties but with adult toys instead of tupperware.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Default That too...

is valuable information... Thanks!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oBak View Post
I've heard they are like tupperware parties but with adult toys instead of tupperware.
Hmmm... an adult toy party. Guess you could warm the house on body heat. Save on the utility bill.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Regarding car insurance, someone on this website several years ago, posted about having his European insurance company proving a letter or reference, and transferring his driving history over to his US auto insurance company so his rates wouldn't be based on his being a newly-licensed driver. I'm not sure of the details for how to do this, try doing a search of this site. However, in my experience with the Search function you'll get a bazillion of hits, none of them very useful. Still, the cost savings could be several hundred dollars a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego