Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,200 times

Advertisements

Will my wife and I afford to live nicely in San Diego? First off I am currently employed by the US Military and will seperate in the less than 6 months. I am currently about to wrap up a deployment, and I have I have earned my PT Phyiscal Therapist degree, My wife is an RN , we are in our mid 20's and we are proud parents of a toddler. I have been to SD once and feel in love with the vibe of the city. My wife and I love to salsa and go out ,have a good time once in a while, enjoy the nightlife, and eat a nice dinner. I have never lived close to the ocean, and have always dreamed of living in Southern California. If we can find solid jobs out there would we be able to afford a condo/home in a nice area,with good schools, and low crime, an area thats always alive, but still have that laid laid back Cali vibe . Another reason I want to move to SD,they have world class martial arts training facilities, and I want to learn form the best and become an instrucor one day myself. So with all the factors set forth, would it be a [SIZE=3]feasible plan, or should I aim at moving to a city with a little lower cost of living?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,355,658 times
With the economy the way it is now, I would stay in the service.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,497,401 times
My brother is a PT, works for a small firm here in SD, he makes about 50-60k. Demand is very strong in that field, including in SD. I work for a firm that places RN's, the market is softer, but still pretty good, pay is in the 30-40/hr range.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM

141 posts, read 287,014 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...se-forums.html
CHECK THIS OUT.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,074,477 times
As said, PT's are in demand in SD. RN will find something.
Rent first, get the lay of the land, find your martial arts school/teacher, and things will fall into place for you from there,IMO. (ie,As far as where to buy, and what constitutes an alive area that is still laid back, and affordable/safe for a family.)

Keep in mind that in SD, everything is about '20 minutes' from everything else-lol-except for rush hour traffic times, you can be most places in 20 min. These days, that's about how long it takes in any small city or even large town, with traffic, stop lights, etc. And in SD, you'll be in a beachy area or funky hood in minutes, even if your home neighborhood is a little more staid and family-oriented.)

Look in Clairemont area, and also Carlsbad, and maybe Poway, for renting to start out, IMO.
BTW, you can often find salsa classes at even the smallest of rec centers. So you could easily join in almost anywhere in SD, and the major salsa joints would only be a 20-30 min. drive.
Martial arts teachers of influence are located throughout the city-including central SD and north county coastal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego