Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 06:44 PM

122 posts, read 587,083 times

Advertisements

For a person who has previously lived in Mission Beach (S.D.) and is now considering a move to Venice Beach in L.A. ...

What are the similarities and differences between these two beach towns? What, if any, is the disparity in safety? What are the things/ places to avoid in Venice (like the Belmont Park area of Mission was for me a place to avoid aesthetically and safety-wise, and the bar strip in P.B. for the same reasons)?

I have visited Venice before a few times, and know my way around and the general layout of the place. Any information pertaining to the above questions or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. Is Venice still pretty relaxed and artsy?

My sense is that life in Venice would be similar to life in Mission Beach. Am I way off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,737 times
Venice is like Mission just 100x more intense. And there is a lot of gang activity there, so that is something you will need to be aware of. It's not wildly dangerous, but aint Pleasantville either.

Mission is more clean and family-friendly, whereas Venice is a bit more rough and eccentric. Venice is a bit of a tough crowd but can be really fun too.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
If Belmont Park scares you the I don't see how you will manage to live anywhere in Venice Beach. MB overall is nicer, cleaner, and safer than VB. Maybe try more towards Santa Monica.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
i have limited experience with Mission Beach, but have lived near venice for years now. SD is generally nicer/safer/cleaner than LA in almost every category. As for specifics on Venice, it is a very interesting place. there is a small gang element, but it is easy to avoid. most of venice is actually pretty run down and crummy. however, there are some very nice neghborhoods and shopping/dining areas. i would never want to live on the boardwalk or any of the walkstreets leading up to the boardwalk, just too many people (would probably be similar to living in times square nyc). Also, the area north of abbot kinney and south of rose is probably the least safe with section 8 housing, and homeless types and drug dealers walking around late at night. once you get east of lincoln, things are a bit nicer. it's further from the beach, so the crowds aren't nearly the same.

to me, venice is overpriced and i woudn't live there. for the price you would pay to live in venice, you could get a much nicer apartment in nearby marina del rey or santa monica and still be within a short bike ride of venice. once you're a local, you don't hang out at the boardwalk anymore, so the only distinction that venice has are the canals. living on/near the canals is crazy expensive though. anyways, the whole coastal area of LA is a lot of fun and pretty safe as far as i'm concerned. i've lived in the area for 5 years or so and have been out at all hours of the day running, cycling, bar hopping, etc. in just about every neighborhood and have never had any issues. actually, my bike got stolen one time, but i didn't lock it so i had it coming. but as someone else mentioned, if there are any areas of SD that worry you, then LA might not be for you, it is definitely sketchier than SD.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 PM

122 posts, read 587,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If Belmont Park scares you the I don't see how you will manage to live anywhere in Venice Beach. MB overall is nicer, cleaner, and safer than VB. Maybe try more towards Santa Monica.
I'm not hung up on Venice. I just like beach towns and the creativity and sweet, balmy ocean breezes that come with them. If I'm going to live in L.A., I wanted to look into coastal living first. I'm also looking into the canyons, Topanga and Laurel, as secondary options.

You mentioned moving "more towards Santa Monica"... Can you suggest some neighborhoods, streets, and areas?

While I'm at it, what might you have to say about the main part of Santa Monica (Wilshire and all the surrounding areas)? Is it vibrant and creative (without being sketched out), or has it become overpriced, kitschy, and a parody on bohemianism?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:34 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
I'm not hung up on Venice. I just like beach towns and the creativity and sweet, balmy ocean breezes that come with them. If I'm going to live in L.A., I wanted to look into coastal living first. I'm also looking into the canyons, Topanga and Laurel, as secondary options.

You mentioned moving "more towards Santa Monica"... Can you suggest some neighborhoods, streets, and areas?

While I'm at it, what might you have to say about the main part of Santa Monica (Wilshire and all the surrounding areas)? Is it vibrant and creative (without being sketched out), or has it become overpriced, kitschy, and a parody on bohemianism?
I've never have lived in LA, just visit friends. BRinSM or someone in the LA forum can probably give you more detailed info about the area. The area I was thinking of is right next to VB in SM. In and around Main St north of Marine St. It's not a far walk/bike ride to Venice.

I think SM is overpriced, the areas around Wilshire are nice but I don't feel it's very vibrant except for the immediate commercial district by the 3rd St promenade.

Maybe check out Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and Hermosa Beach too. I've heard good things about those places too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego