Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,522 times

Advertisements

I dont understand the whole hype about SF

Last edited by mt971x; 06-09-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
I definitely thought we needed another one of these threads...

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 PM

114 posts, read 121,775 times
Ocean and the bay, the bridges n hills, the food n drugs, the people and the money, biotech

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I dont understand the whole hype about SF
I don't understand the whole hype about people who don't understand the whole hype about SF.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 PM

1. It's a Fruitopia - Gay capital of the Universe.
2. It's extremely expensive
3. The weather sucks, especially the fog
4. The say it's diverse, but the reality is that most of the population is either asian or white.
5. Everytime I think of SF the stupid "Full House" theme song pops in my head
6. It's over-rated, it's always mentioned with New York, Chicago, and I don't believe it's no where near that level.
7. The people think they are so "sophisticated" and "smarter" than everybody else, and have a snobbish attitude.
8. IF you want REAL excitement you are gonna wanna go to Southern California, not northern.
9. You can't do anything except look at the bay, sure that's nice to look at

Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:

8. IF you want REAL excitement you are gonna wanna go to Southern California, not northern.
1. Right, it's not for the proudly homophobic knuckle-dragger set.

8. But praytell, has SoCal magically purged itself of the oh-so-feared population, or have we not encountered statistics describing the massive gay population of Los Angeles vs. SF? I don't suppose we have considered the percentage of gay people working in the entertainment industry? You know, the one that dominates LA? Ever heard of West Hollywood?

9. If you really "can't do anything" in NorCal, just what is it that you want to do (dare I ask)?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
1. Right, it's not for the proudly homophobic knuckle-dragger set.
I'm not homophobic, never had any problems with gay people, but I call it how i see it , it's a homosexual paradise , not a heterosexual paradise.

Quote:

8. But praytell, has SoCal magically purged itself of the oh-so-feared population, or have we not encountered statistics describing the massive gay population of Los Angeles vs. SF? I don't suppose we have considered the percentage of gay people working in the entertainment industry? You know, the one that dominates LA? Ever heard of West Hollywood?
So you are basically comparing "West Hollywood" to San Francisco? How is this even a comparison?
West hollywood is just a piece of L.A. San Francisco is an entire city smoothered in gayness.

Quote:

9. If you really "can't do anything" in NorCal, just what is it that you want to do (dare I ask)?
Truth be told, if you want the best out of California, most people are going to Southern California, this is not one of those No Cal vs So Cal threads either. So Cal has everything to do, the best beaches, the best weather, the best entertainment, and is why it remains one of the top places to be and live in the world. But yet, you see all these people Saying how San Fran is better than L.A or better yet one of THE BEST places in the nation if not WORLD? Are you kidding me? How so? It's more hyped up, and maybe if you are gay it's a better place, it's more expensive, and probably more "sophisticated", but how does that make it "better"? Shoot San Diego by far beats San Fran in places to live in my book anyday. San Fran reminds me of a "West Coast" version of "Manhattan" which is probably why so many east coast people like it so much

Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
Quote:
Truth be told, if you want the best out of California, most people are going to Southern California, this is not one of those No Cal vs So Cal threads either. So Cal has everything to do, the best beaches, the best weather, the best entertainment, and is why it remains one of the top places to be and live in the world. But yet, you see all these people Saying how San Fran is better than L.A or better yet one of THE BEST places in the nation if not WORLD? Are you kidding me? How so? It's more hyped up, and maybe if you are gay it's a better place, it's more expensive, and probably more "sophisticated", but how does that make it "better"? Shoot San Diego by far beats San Fran in places to live in my book anyday. San Fran reminds me of a "West Coast" version of "Manhattan" which is probably why so many east coast people like it so much
I'll give you the beaches, but I like NoCal's weather better, and I like that we don't have to sit in parking lot-like traffic, and I like our trees and flora better.

My favorite urban city in the bay is Oakland. I also enjoy the small-town feel of many of our suburbs where you can occasionally feel a thousand miles away despite being 20-30 minutes from the Bay Bridge.

I tend to like the idea that I can get a bit more for my money in NoCal in the real estate market as well (granted, not in SF).

But, hey, I'm glad these two parts of California are so different. There's nothing better than driving down 6-8 hours and visiting and vice versa. I just prefer to live in Northern California.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,043 times
SF's gay identity is such a small part of its modern personality. I bet a lot of people who believe all the crap that Republicans who don't live here spew are disappointed when they show up and find that the Castro is only two blocks long. Yeah it's a gay-friendly city and proud of it but it's not like there's non-stop gay orgies on every block like people seem to think.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
2. It's extremely expensive
3. The weather sucks, especially the fog
4. The say it's diverse, but the reality is that most of the population is either asian or white.
5. Everytime I think of SF the stupid "Full House" theme song pops in my head
6. It's over-rated, it's always mentioned with New York, Chicago, and I don't believe it's no where near that level.
7. The people think they are so "sophisticated" and "smarter" than everybody else, and have a snobbish attitude.
9. You can't do anything except look at the bay, sure that's nice to look at
1. you don't know jack about the Bay Area or SF, obviously
2. you made this thread just to talk s#!t, obviously
3. you are homophobic, obviously (also LA has far more gay people than SF, have fun down there buddy, and try not to bend over ever )
4. you seem to be obsessed with Full House (what's wrong with you?)
5. you suck
6. go away
7. Also, "Fruitopia" is a drink: Fruitopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you're just really thirsty or something, and a gay person stole your fruitopia. But don't take it out on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland