Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 17,609 times

Advertisements

We are looking for an area with a "small town" feel. I like Benicia's downtown area but don't know it well enough and we'd be moving from out of state. Some of the other towns we have visited in California had had an influx of homeless youth, pitbulls, etc., etc.--very demoralizing. If you are from Benicia, would love to know your experience with the public schools as well. There seem to be tons of foreclosures there as well--is that causing any issues?

Thanks for any information you can provide to help us narrow our choices. We enjoy living near Portland, Oregon but would like to move to California to be closer to family. Other options we are considering are San Luis Obispo County (probably could only afford Templeton area) or Clayton.

Linnea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
SLO and Benicia are quite far from each other. Is your family located closer to one or the other?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
My info may be a little out-of-date, but I had friends who lived in Benicia. It's delightful. They never mentioned crime. The weather is a little cooler, because of the breeze that comes through the Sacramento delta to/from the Bay. This makes it more pleasant. I'd move there myself if I could.
I couldn't tell you if the schools are any good, though; my friends didn't have kids.

Foreclosures are a good way to pick up a nice house for cheap. I'd recommend the north side of town, backing onto the hills. You get views of the Bay and the river from there.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 17,609 times
My family lives in the Bay Area but even SLO County is a closer drive to them than where we live now. So either Benicia or SLO County would work.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
SLO and Benicia are both small town, but SLO is more coastal rather than "Bay". I would say Benicia is less isolated being part of north/east bay.

What price range are you looking to buy in?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Oh no, not homeless youths and pitbulls!

Use this to zoom in on good school districts:

California School Performance Maps

Benicia looks pretty good for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland