Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

10 Coolest Cities in America, 2010
1-tie New York
1-tie Las Vegas
3 Seattle
4 Chicago
5 Oakland
6 Orlando
7 San Diego
8 Los Angeles
9 Miami
10 Washington DC
America's Coolest Cities - Forbes.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
anti-Oakland trolls in 3...2...

I dunno how it got on that list and SF didn't, but whatever.

And Orlando? LOL. Orlando is freakin' BORING.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
No complaints here - I love the city but why did Forbes force up a photo of a shot taken within SF proper (or atleast it appears so). I'd much rather have had a neat evening shot in Old Oakland, Rockridge, Piedmont, Montclair, etc.

Also agree with the above - Orlando IS boring LOL

Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
Orlando? That's probably the lamest city in the state of Florida, making it one of the lamest in the country. Not sure how Seattle got on the list and cities like Austin and Boston got left off.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1-tie New York
1-tie Las Vegas
3 Seattle
4 Chicago
5 Oakland
6 Orlando
7 San Diego
8 Los Angeles
9 Miami
10 Washington DC

Funny that SF didn't even make the list and SD did....OTOH, I'm not surprised that no OC city made the list (take that, Mr. Craptastic!)

In any case, more people discovering the many positive things Oakland has to offer can only be a good thing - it's inevitable that Oakland would no longer remain the best kept secret of any CA city in what it has to offer, and it's good that the oaktown's making the news for something very positive.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
Orlando? That's probably the lamest city in the state of Florida, making it one of the lamest in the country.
Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and all the other "South Georgia" cities are worse, imo.

Quote:
Not sure how Seattle got on the list and cities like Austin and Boston got left off.
Presumably Boston was left off for its sports fans bringing it down (not that Raiders fans are any better).

I'm surprised that Austin and Portland aren't on the list.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Funny that SF didn't even make the list and SD did....OTOH, I'm not surprised that no OC city made the list (take that, Mr. Craptastic!)
I don't know what's more funny, the fact that you are uber-excited over a third party survey based on a sample size of 2,000 people that was trying to determine a value for something as nonsensical as "coolness" or that you missed out on the fact that San Francisco DID make the list because the survey was based on metropolitan statistical AREAS, and was the chief reason why Oakland probably made the list

Case in point:

Metropolitan Statistical Area: San Francisco--Oakland, CA

But hey I guess it's "cool" to brag about coolness instead of ... oh I don't know ... addressing the $32,000,000 budget shortfall in Oakland:
Oakland City Council weighs budget cuts, police officer layoffs – Oakland North -- North Oakland News, Food, Art and Events.

... or the 200 officers that Ignacio de la Fuente wants layoff...

... or the fact that Oakland ranks bottom of the barrel in the Bay Area when it comes to attract private investors...
THE OAKBOOK - Op-ed: It's Time to Think About Oakland's Development

I mean all the "coolest" cities shut down senior centers because their city councils have squandered their budgets paying city employees tens of millions in over time.

But I do wonder if those awesome boutique restaurants, theaters, and pubs will cater to all the out of work people in Oakland which just made Top 10% List in terms of highest unemployment in the country:
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

I mean, they should at least have extended happy hours, right?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
coolness is pretty subjective but oakland/eastbay has more artists ,musicians and hipsters than san francisco./penninsula
name the biggest band to come out of the sf/penninsula music scene?

name the biggest band from the east bay music scene?
GREEN DAY.

sf has priced out most of it's artists

Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
coolness is pretty subjective but oakland/eastbay has more artists ,musicians and hipsters than san francisco./penninsula
name the biggest band to come out of the sf/penninsula music scene?
Journey
Third Eye Blind
Santana
Faith No More
Dead Kennedys
Flipper
Jawbreaker

to name a few. Nope, no big names there

Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1-tie New York
1-tie Las Vegas
3 Seattle
4 Chicago
5 Oakland
6 Orlando
7 San Diego
8 Los Angeles
9 Miami
10 Washington DC

What i find strange is that this is a list by metro areas....yet there is no "Oakland Metro." It's the SF-Oakland-Fremont metro. Every other metro was named by it's principal city in the list, so why did Forbes decide to call the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont metro "Oakland" rather than "San Francisco?" That's like if they called the Seattle metro "Tacoma" or if they called the LA metro "Long Beach." It makes no sense. To make it more wierd, their picture for "Oakland" is a shot of the Golden Gate bridge...taken from SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland