Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,768 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am planning on moving to San Fran in mid December for a promotion. I am 27, single, going to be in need of fun friends and I would love to live in a hip and young area with great places to grab a beer. My friends in LA say that SOMA is the best place to live for this scene. Are there any other areas that you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,088,509 times
It's a pretty meh area for that. The eastern end of SOMA is a lot of high-rise condos and is kinda sterile and is mostly yuppies and older empty nesters. The middle and western ends of SOMA are a mix of desolate closed warehouses, car repair shops, a few gay nightclubs, a lot of crime on 6th street, and condos here and there. There's a few straight nightclubs there too. But there's not much of a bar scene and it just feels more desolate than other SF hoods.

I would look at the Mission, there are a lot of great bars and restaurants up and down Valencia Street and it's a very young crowd. Stay west of Mission Street though, on or east of Mission it's grubby and there is a lot of crime.

And it's not San Fran! Who taught you that! :P

Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Hhaha I guess I Have a lot to learn!!
Thanks for the tips on where to live!!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:08 PM

106 posts, read 273,534 times
I hope you have a lot of Money, SOMA is now one of the more expensive parts of SF.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,117,481 times
There are several bars in that area that get hopping for happy hours. A lot of younger singles walk over after working in the FiDi etc. So, you weren't totally misguided. But, I'd say you're best bets for nightlife would be the stretch of SF North of California St and west of, say, Divisadero. Basically, that's the Marina, Russian Hill/Nob Hill and North Beach. The Mission would be a place you may occassionally go out in but don't want to live in. Kinda like around or east of the Cahuenga corridor in Hollywood.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,996,012 times
people on here have pointed out other areas besides soma because there are different areas that can be considered hip, young, and where you can grab a beer. each has its own vibe/scene so you are in luck because you can choose depending on what crowd you are into.

marina like the last poster mentioned definitely has its good share of bars and night activity- the people that hang out there are what the people on this board refer to as the beer drinking marina crowd. do a search on here for marina and you can pull up some threads where posters talk about the kinds of people there. points of interest: union street, marina green

then there is the gritty but gentrifying mission district crowd which is more like your typical hipster crowd living amongst immigrant hispanics. they have a good restaurant scene with some trendy dining establishments scattered amongst the taqueria hole in the walls. definitly people walking around at night and a place where you can get a hot dog wrapped in bacon from a cart at midnight. points of interest: valencia street, mission dolores park

i'd describe the soma crowd as hip, yuppie, techie who like to buy furniture at room & board and west elm. soma does have its share of bars and nightclubs to boot and was previously an area for artists and their lofts/studios. it was ground zero for the dot com boom and in recent times has been embarking on another dot com renaissance. soma is large and has sub-hoods: south beach, mission bay, south park, et. al. points of interest: embarcadero, ferry building, yerba buena gardens, giants stadium

Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,117,481 times
Actually, I could help you more if you told me where you like to go out in L.A. so I know the type of vibe you're looking for. I know L.A. nightlife (from the South Bay to Hollywood and all points in between) very well. SF I know fairly well.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Well I am in the fashion biz , but not the glamorous part, more of the hard work that hopefully pays off in the end kinda thing. SO I love shops on Robertson and that kind of area. My friends are from West Hollywood so I love that scene how everything is so close together with a quasi neighborhood with clubs/bars/shops/Pinkberry! I love comedy areas, theatre that sort of thing. Not too artsy fartsy hippie but I'm not opposed to anything like that!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM

Thank you so much for giving me all that great info!!! It is so hard going blind into a new city/culture life!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland