Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,598 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm new here and I've been desperately looking around for help.

I'm graduating this month and will move to SF from Arizona sometimes late July early August for grad school (GGU). I read some about neighborhoods and narrow down to Nob Hill, SOMA, Mission, Russian Hill (but I heard it's expensive), or Downtown (not anywhere near Tenderloin).

I'm looking for a studio in a safe neighborhood (being a girl living alone is quite scary), my budget is as cheap as it gets but max is $1100. I've been looking on craiglist and some other websites but the price is so out of range. Do I need to actually walk around looking for an affordable place? If you guys have any recommend properties, any information would be highly highly appreciated!!

The thing is I can only move there around 29th 30th of July. Do landlords there allow us to put down a hold deposit until we move in? I heard it's difficult during hot season like July or August. I just don't want to be homeless and live on the street when I move there

Thank you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
You should rent a room from a shared apartment. It's very common with students and young professionals and you'll be able to afford a place in a cool district.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Very basic 1br's in nice parts of SF start around $1400. Studios are around $1000-1200. Living with roommates would be about $700-900, it's a good way to meet people if you find good roommates.

I would focus on Nob Hill and the Mission, but in the Mission stay west of Mission Street to avoid all the crime and grime. Also maybe North Beach. Russian Hill is very ritzy and SOMA is honestly desolate and dumpy in most parts except for the eastern corner which is a lot of new condos that are out of your budget range. "Downtown" is not a residential area. You see a lot of places listed as "downtown" or "union square" or "Lower Nob Hill" or "financial district" or "civic center" on craigslist but they're all in the Tenderloin. Anything listed in those areas that is west of Masonic is the Tenderloin, and you won't see any apartments for rent east of Masonic and south of North Beach and north of Market, because it's mainly office buildings.

Very rarely you will see studios for less than $900 in nice parts of SF, but it will be tough to get them because every college student in town will be trying to get the place, or there's something wrong with them. You often see studios for less than $1000 in the Tenderloin but believe me you want to avoid pretty much anywhere in the TL unless you like junkies, homeless people and drug dealers.

Also you could also check out Oakland, you can get 1 br's in nice areas for $900-1100 and studios for less than that, and it's about 20 minutes on BART to downtown SF where GGU is.

When you are looking for a place be aggressive, bring a credit report and a filled-out generic rental application. Go to lots of viewings that you find on craigslist, wandering around looking for "for rent" signs will get you nowhere. At the viewings there will be dozens of people so show up early and if you like the place and the area it's in, tell the landlord you want to apply. They probably won't let you put down a deposit unless they decide right away to rent to you, usually they take all the applications (probably 50-100 or more applications for each place!) and pick the person they like the most, which is insane because how do you stand out from 100 other people? But some landlords just want to get it over with and will let you make a deposit to hold the place, so be kind of pushy about trying to get them to agree to it, but without annoying them.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Anything listed in those areas that is west of Masonic is the Tenderloin, and you won't see any apartments for rent east of Masonic and south of North Beach and north of Market, because it's mainly office buildings.
I think that you mean Mason Street, not Masonic as it is a couple of miles west of the Tenderloin.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
^
oops, yes, good call, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: