Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAccountant View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I got a job in San Francisco because I know Excel VBA and have some MS Access background. I was surprised how many companies are looking for people with MS Excel Macro and MS Access background in the bay area.

Its okay my friend !! Glad you got the job and good luck with your future career. Weird I thought they would see your Accounting background !?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM

203 posts, read 428,372 times
The SF finance market has been extremely slow the past 2-3 years. I'm an accountant but I specialize in private equity and there has been little to no opportunities in SF. Seems like they prefer local candidates over non-local (NY as in my case).

I'm hoping to wrap up my CPA in the next couple of months to make myself more marketable so that we can finally make the move over. I would never move somewhere without having a job secured.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 PM

30 posts, read 53,121 times
The manager who hired me told me that the reason he hired me because of my ability to learn new skills and my experiences with Excel and Access... He didn't care much about my Accounting background...

Anyway, from several people I spoke to, SF companies have better work environment than the East Coast. Like free snacks/free/drinks in the break room, and better equipments to the employees. I am using Windows 7 and some really powerful PC, which is extremely rare when I was work on the East Coast.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
Congrats YoungAccountant! Welcome to SF!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,808 times
Quote:
The manager who hired me told me that the reason he hired me because of my ability to learn new skills and my experiences with Excel and Access... He didn't care much about my Accounting background...

Anyway, from several people I spoke to, SF companies have better work environment than the East Coast. Like free snacks/free/drinks in the break room, and better equipments to the employees. I am using Windows 7 and some really powerful PC, which is extremely rare when I was work on the East Coast.
Hey YoungAccountant (and anybody else reading that that can provide some input)

I am currently pursuing an accounting degree with only two semesters left to finish, and I, like you, want to work and live in San Francisco. SF is hands down my favorite city that I have visited, and I would like to at least attempt living there.

Can you offer any suggestions on what I can do now to make myself more marketable in the competitive SF job market for when I am ready to make the move? What are some of the skills and qualifications Bay Area employers are looking for (I saw you mentioned Excel VBA and MS Access)? Would my fluency in Spanish enhance my chances for finding a job? I am currently attending the University of Missouri St. Louis, and there are a few good internships that I could pursue in the meantime. Would certain types of internships look better on my resume?

Sorry for all the questions. This is just something I have really wanted to do for a long time, and this thread seemed like the perfect place to get some advice.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiaz87 View Post

I am currently pursuing an accounting degree with only two semesters left to finish, and I, like you, want to work and live in San Francisco. SF is hands down my favorite city that I have visited, and I would like to at least attempt living there.

Can you offer any suggestions on what I can do now to make myself more marketable in the competitive SF job market for when I am ready to make the move? What are some of the skills and qualifications Bay Area employers are looking for (I saw you mentioned Excel VBA and MS Access)? Would my fluency in Spanish enhance my chances for finding a job? I am currently attending the University of Missouri St. Louis, and there are a few good internships that I could pursue in the meantime. Would certain types of internships look better on my resume?

Sorry for all the questions. This is just something I have really wanted to do for a long time, and this thread seemed like the perfect place to get some advice.

Proficiency in Quickbooks or similar software.
Spanish bilingualism will help you get certain niche jobs in firms that either have a lot of Spanish speaking customers and vendors, or in firms that employ a lot of Spanish speaking people, but won't help otherwise.
Real world experience is the best experience to have. If you can get that through the internships, fine. If you can get it via other means, good.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Have at least 2 years minimum working experience before you relocate to somewhere else.

Most companies called me mostly for my Excel and Access background. I was lucky that I know Exce VBA, Access, ERP, and as well as SQL, which is rare for Accountants. I also have two years of working experience at a medium size firm, which is the kicker.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Have at least 2 years minimum working experience before you relocate to somewhere else.

Most companies called me mostly for my Excel and Access background. I was lucky that I know Exce VBA, Access, ERP, and as well as SQL, which is rare for Accountants. I also have two years of working experience at a medium size firm, which is the kicker.
To be honest, I don't think I could spend another 2 years in St. Louis. I really do not enjoy living here, and SF is on the top of the list of cities I want to move to, but I also realize how competitive the city's job market is as well as the high cost of living.

Is finding an entry level position in SF something that is not going to happen? I have no doubt that I will be able to find work that could hold me down while I searched for a decent accounting/finance/whatever position.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think I could spend another 2 years in St. Louis. I really do not enjoy living here, and SF is on the top of the list of cities I want to move to, but I also realize how competitive the city's job market is as well as the high cost of living.

Is finding an entry level position in SF something that is not going to happen? I have no doubt that I will be able to find work that could hold me down while I searched for a decent accounting/finance/whatever position.
Not going to discourage or anything, but without working experience it is really hard to get a job here, unless you're in IT field. I met a lot people, all of them are either in the computer science or engineering field.

As far as for Accounting and Finance field, the job market is very competitive. I got my job as a Financial Analyst because I can do VBA and SQl, which is related to IT.

If you have money saved up, you can probably try to live in a hostel, where they let you stay for free if you work 4 hours a day.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Not going to discourage or anything, but without working experience it is really hard to get a job here, unless you're in IT field. I met a lot people, all of them are either in the computer science or engineering field.

As far as for Accounting and Finance field, the job market is very competitive. I got my job as a Financial Analyst because I can do VBA and SQl, which is related to IT.

If you have money saved up, you can probably try to live in a hostel, where they let you stay for free if you work 4 hours a day.
I appreciate the advice. I might as well have realistic expectations if this something I am serious about doing.

Last edited by Adiaz87; 06-30-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland