Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Advertisements

I agree with you. I think it should just go as UC Berkeley. Nobody gets confused about UCLA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 PM

227 posts, read 538,578 times
I've done marketing with UC Berkeley, and the "Cal" moniker can only be used by and for UCB athletics. It's in their styleguide, and it's trademarked. Otherwise, the campus should be called UC Berkeley or University of California at Berkeley.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Which is why marketing "Cal" more would be dumb, most Americans don't live in California.

Also I don't really get why UCB gets to be called "Cal," what about the other UC schools, do they feel left out?
Well, UC Berkeley is the oldest campus in the system, so there is a bit of a claim that Berkeley is THE University of California. I say that as a proud alumnus - or Old Blue.

But in reality, UC Berkeley doesn't dominate the University of California campus system in the way that U of Wisconsin Madison dominates U of W, or University of Texas (Austin) dominates the U of Texas state school system (A&M grads may beg to differ), or U of VA. So it's a bit more diffuse.

As others say, "Cal" tends to be used more as a moniker, and logo for athletics, especially the script Cal logo.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I've done marketing with UC Berkeley, and the "Cal" moniker can only be used by and for UCB athletics. It's in their styleguide, and it's trademarked. Otherwise, the campus should be called UC Berkeley or University of California at Berkeley.
Maybe in a publication, but many alums like myself verbally refer to the school itself as "Cal". It just rolls off the tongue better: "I went to Cal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Also I don't really get why UCB gets to be called "Cal," what about the other UC schools, do they feel left out?
Mayor, I almost always agree with your posts, but you gotta ditch the "B" in "UCB". It's just "UC". Also, that other campus down South should be referred to as "The Southern Branch" or "The Baby Bears".

Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Maybe in a publication, but many alums like myself verbally refer to the school itself as "Cal". It just rolls off the tongue better: "I went to Cal".
Absolutely. Go Bears!

Quote:
Also, that other campus down South should be referred to as "The Southern Branch" or "The Baby Bears".
I've also heard it called Westwood High or Westwood Tech.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Much like IL, Berkeley's only relevance is a few 100 highly productive alums who are products of the engineering school especially CS and EE; rest of college is fairly mediocre and economically irrelevant...and era of physics and math majors ended decades ago

Rest of UC system struggles to identify any notable alums of past 25yrs, much like any Ivies, aside from a few Harvard undergrad dropouts and Bezos from Princeton EE undergrad

Just like IL the smartest grads flee to Palo Alto area upon graduation for their careers, never to return to either Midwest or EastBay

SV has many dominating engineers who are college or Stanford PhD dropouts so brand/educational value of any college on planet is ridiculed/ignored by the highest achievers in tech

Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Much like IL, Berkeley's only relevance is a few 100 highly productive alums who are products of the engineering school especially CS and EE; rest of college is fairly mediocre and economically irrelevant...and era of physics and math majors ended decades ago

Rest of UC system struggles to identify any notable alums of past 25yrs, much like any Ivies, aside from a few Harvard undergrad dropouts and Bezos from Princeton EE undergrad

Just like IL the smartest grads flee to Palo Alto area upon graduation for their careers, never to return to either Midwest or EastBay

SV has many dominating engineers who are college or Stanford PhD dropouts so brand/educational value of any college on planet is ridiculed/ignored by the highest achievers in tech
I understand loving your home, but what is it about your every post that makes Silicon Valley some sort of end all? LOL

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Quote:
Just like IL the smartest grads flee to Palo Alto area upon graduation for their careers, blah blah blah
Quote:
engineers who are college or Stanford PhD dropouts so brand/educational value of any college on planet is ridiculed/ignored by the highest achievers in tech blah blah blah
Another robopost. Unbelievable.

To the subject: Nobody from other UC schools is concerned that UC Berkeley gets to be called Cal - it's mostly associated with PacTen sports anyway.

Go Gauchos!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Quote:

Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
that's because you live in Virginia

nobody confuses Cal with a CSU, unless they live across the country and don't know anything about California universities

Sorry to bust your bubble of assumption but I lived in Oakland for 32 years and I knew several people who said Cal when referring to Cal State Hayward (now East Bay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland