Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 17,449 times

Advertisements

Summary: Got an amazing job offer in San Francisco so we're moving from Santa Clarita (Los Angeles area) to the bay area. We're a family of 5 with one on the way. I will be working IN the city (Montgomery BART station).

We've been mainly looking in Dublin (great area, great schools) but since the rental market is a bit slim we noticed that Brentwood has some very nice homes and the schools are really good as well. We saw some properties around Rose Garden and Garin Ranch - also some near the golf course.

BUT, I've read quite a bit that the commute is horrendous. Now let me say this: coming from LA and quite used to driving 60-80 miles round trip (from Santa Clarita to Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Culver City, etc...) I can handle a bit of traffic. Luckily part of the commute in NORCAL would be on the BART.

Can anyone provide me with some updated information? Is the traffic better? Is there a light at the end of the congested tunnel?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Getting out of Brentwood takes forever. There is a narrow 4 lane road that is the only way out. If you ever made it to Concord, you could take BART. It would probably take 45-60 minutes to get from Brentwood to Concord during commute hours. You could go to Pittsburg as well, but I imagine there is only 1 10 minute difference, but I think the BART station is a bit off the freeway. The BART ride from there is about 50 minutes. So you are looking at about 1:45-2 hours each way. Driving to SF from Concord would take about 1:20 minutes during rush hour. (There are lots of traffic jams the whole way).

Dublin is a much better option. It is much closer.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
If you can handle the 405,10,101,5,110 or the 210 freeways in rush hour there literally is nothing to compare with that for traffic in the Bay Area. I would choose Discovery Bay if you are looking a Brentwood.

You'll do fine with the commute.

I don't think most people in Norcal even know what a sigalert is without looking it up unless they have commuted in SoCal.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM

My co-worker/producer who also moved up there from LA said the same thing. Everyone in norcal is spoiled when it comes to traffic, and anyone coming from socal will wonder what the commotion is about.

Basically the question is :

4+3 in Dublin for $3150 + great schools | newer area

4 or 5+3 in brentwood for under $2500 + great schools and a longer commute.

Is it worth saving the extra $1k?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchriani View Post
My co-worker/producer who also moved up there from LA said the same thing. Everyone in norcal is spoiled when it comes to traffic, and anyone coming from socal will wonder what the commotion is about.

Basically the question is :

4+3 in Dublin for $3150 + great schools | newer area

4 or 5+3 in brentwood for under $2500 + great schools and a longer commute.

Is it worth saving the extra $1k?
So you are saving 12,000 a year on housing but will probably spend 6,000 on commuting costs depending on your vehicle. So an extra 6,000 grand in your pocket for commuting an extra 30 miles everyday for a year. I don't know but for some people that would be a good trade. Understand this if you are renting you can always move once you have time to feel out the area. You may find that neither Brentwood or Dublin is your best choice after a year. I would really recommend Discovery Bay if you are set on Brentwood. Its literally two miles down the road.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM

What's the advantage of Discovery Bay?

Also, bottom line - what is the commute time I'm looking at?

I'm assuming I'd be traveling from Brentwood or Discovery Bay to the Pittsburgh Antioch BART, and then from there to the Montgomery Station (that BART commute looks to be around 50 mins).

Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
it's a personal choice.
some people don't mind a 2 hour commute each way.(maybe longer with rain or an accident or sporting event)
i would rather stick a rusty screwdriver in my eye.

there is no right or wrong position

Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 PM

If you are going to use BART then its prob about a 15 to 30min drive to Pittsburg during heavy commute on the 4 and about an hour on BART from there to Montgomery Station. You will learn the back road short cuts from Brentwood to Pittsburg when you get here.

Discovery Bay. Plenty of info available. You don't have to take my word for it.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
So you are saving 12,000 a year on housing but will probably spend 6,000 on commuting costs depending on your vehicle. So an extra 6,000 grand in your pocket for commuting an extra 30 miles everyday for a year. I don't know but for some people that would be a good trade. Understand this if you are renting you can always move once you have time to feel out the area. You may find that neither Brentwood or Dublin is your best choice after a year. I would really recommend Discovery Bay if you are set on Brentwood. Its literally two miles down the road.
How much is your time worth (to you and your family). There are at least 5 extra hours you'll be spending in the car weekly. Work day commute of 2 hours daily or 3-4 hours daily.

If you are a 8:30-5:30 worker, you'll be away from home from about 7:30 to 6:30 if you live in Dublin.

In Brentwood or Discovery bay you are looking at 6:30-6:45a to 7:15-7:30p or so being away from home every day.

I personally would rather have my 5 hours a week back for better stuff. Dinner with friends/family. Play time. Whatever.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 PM

This is definitely not a 9-5 job. It's entertainment, so the hours vary. When football season starts, I'll be working 12 hour days. I want my family to be in a great neighborhood, with great schools. Somewhere that they're not feeling "couped up". There will be work from home opportunities, and the occasional weekends of course.

Again, I'm used to commuting in Los Angeles. Sometimes going 40 miles takes 2 hours, and I'm the one having to drive the entire time. I used to work full time 24 miles from work. Some mornings it would take me over an hour. Other days only 45 mins. The way home could take over an hour EASY. No public transportation, no BART. From what I've heard; if you've been able to deal with LA traffic, SF and surrounding areas have it good.

This is a big move for us, for an amazing opportunity. It's worth it to me to get my family into a house that they'll absolutely LOVE. Not trying to cover up the cold hard facts of moving 300 miles away from friends and family, but it doesn't hurt.

We're hoping to come up again this weekend to view a home in Discovery Bay. 4300 square feet, pool, etc... Much bigger than our 1600sqft 3 bedroom house we're in right now... not much more rent, not to mention the huge salary increase to accommodate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland