Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 7,063 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, I'm moving to Oakland within the next six months. I've been to Oakland many times but had never lived there. I'm well aware that across the bay, San Francisco's rental market is crazy competitive. While I know that Oakland isn't as crazy, I can't help but think that many of those renters priced out of SF are looking to Oakland, therefore driving up the competition.

My question is: How competitive is renting in Oakland? Should I be expected to bid up the asking price by a hundred bucks like they do in SF? Is the rent negotiable? Are the places snapped up pretty quickly? Do I have time to look around and ponder my options or should I just jump on the first one that I like? Should I bring all documents to the open house and fill out the application right on the spot? Would things be less crazy in the winter?

My budget is $1,200 for a two bedrooms. I'm thinking of the nice, safe, and still relatively affordable areas like east of Lake Meritt, Laurel, Temescal, Maxwell Park, and Diamond. Do you guys think of those neighborhoods are safe? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,784,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonac View Post
To make a long story short, I'm moving to Oakland within the next six months. I've been to Oakland many times but had never lived there. I'm well aware that across the bay, San Francisco's rental market is crazy competitive. While I know that Oakland isn't as crazy, I can't help but think that many of those renters priced out of SF are looking to Oakland, therefore driving up the competition.

My question is: How competitive is renting in Oakland? Should I be expected to bid up the asking price by a hundred bucks like they do in SF? Is the rent negotiable? Are the places snapped up pretty quickly? Do I have time to look around and ponder my options or should I just jump on the first one that I like? Should I bring all documents to the open house and fill out the application right on the spot? Would things be less crazy in the winter?

My budget is $1,200 for a two bedrooms. I'm thinking of the nice, safe, and still relatively affordable areas like east of Lake Meritt, Laurel, Temescal, Maxwell Park, and Diamond. Do you guys think of those neighborhoods are safe? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Out of those neighborhoods I would choose between Laurel and Dimond if having access to amenities and transportation is on your agenda. Renting can be competitive in Oakland but moreso closer to downtown... Laurel and Dimond are still relatively unknown to most people to it's less competitive and more sane.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 7,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Out of those neighborhoods I would choose between Laurel and Dimond if having access to amenities and transportation is on your agenda. Renting can be competitive in Oakland but moreso closer to downtown... Laurel and Dimond are still relatively unknown to most people to it's less competitive and more sane.

Thanks for the reply, Nineties Flava. I do prefer to be closer to downtown if possible. I think the takeaway is that if I'm looking in say, Cleveland Heights or Ivy Hill then I should expect a lot of competition and maybe I should overbid the asking rent price? Does anyone know if rent is negotiable in places like Laurel/Diamond?

Right now, I'm just want to get an idea about the rental culture in Oakland. It may turn out that I really like a place in Laurel/Diamond but in case I see something I like close to downtown, just want to be prepared. When you say Oakland can be competitive, how competitive is it? Is it anywhere near SF style crazy?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,092,555 times
Shouldn't be as bad as SF. Go to a few apartment viewings and see how it is. If there's like 50 people lined up at the door 20 minutes before the viewing starts, it's as bad as SF. If you're the only one waiting in line, it should be easier.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Cheaper places tend to get snapped up quickly. There usually isn't a ton of competition, and sometimes the price can be negotiable. Be prepared to snap it up right away if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland