Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times

Advertisements

i don't think anyone denies there are some crappy and dangerous parts of oakland but there are also some nice areas that are safe and have access to great ammenities in oakland and san francisco.the perception that oakland is all ghetto and gangbangers is not true

peidmont pines

crocker highlands

claremont pines

Exquisite Mediterranean in Claremont Pines
77 Bowling Drive
Oakland, CA 94618
Offered at US$3,950,000

Redwood Ranch Equestrian Center in Oakland
The premier equestrian facility in Oakland.
¨ Outdoor sand-rubber footing
¨ 61 bedded horse stalls
¨ Access to hundred of miles of trails
¨ Nestled within the trees in the Oakland hills

Skyline Ranch is located at 5750 Redwood Road, Oakland CA, 94619 in the Oakland Hills – just east of San Francisco Bay – and is home to the Skyline Ranch Equestrian Center, owned and operated by Judi Martin.
Skyline Ranch Equestrian Center offers:Also at Skyline Ranch:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times
Basically any part of oakland where you can't push a loaded shopping cart up the hill is nice. Everything else = ghetto
OAKLAND SIDESHOWS - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6thOF02wY0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwrY0jCVJQ

Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post

Redwood Ranch Equestrian Center in Oakland
The premier equestrian facility in Oakland.
¨ Outdoor sand-rubber footing
¨ 61 bedded horse stalls
¨ Access to hundred of miles of trails
¨ Nestled within the trees in the Oakland hills

Skyline Ranch is located at 5750 Redwood Road, Oakland CA, 94619 in the Oakland Hills – just east of San Francisco Bay – and is home to the Skyline Ranch Equestrian Center, owned and operated by Judi Martin.
Skyline Ranch Equestrian Center offers:Also at Skyline Ranch:
I used to know the former owner and quite a few of the people there...

It was a shame when the Skyline Kitchen/Restaurant was knocked down... it was kind of the unofficial waterhole for many...

Old 01-20-2012, 04:55 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Basically any part of oakland where you can't push a loaded shopping cart up the hill is nice. Everything else = ghetto

the wall street journal, LA times,new york times, zagat don't seem to agree.the funny thing is the national and international press has been writing about the growing oakland cultural scene for the last 3-4 years but some people just can't accept it.the most remarkable aspect is this growth continued during the worse economic downturn since the great depression.

peidmont ave
has
commis
michilin starred restaurant

Oakland Renaissance | The Oakland renaissance - Page 2 - Los Angeles Times

lake merrit /grand
sf chronicle 100 best restaurants
camino and
boot and shoe service

rockridge /college ave
Oakland Renaissance | The Oakland renaissance - Los Angeles Times

uptown
In Oakland, Calif., the Uptown Neighborhood Blooms - NYTimes.com
temescal

Temescal, Oakland's New Hip Area -- Photos - WSJ.com

oakland chinatown

old oakland

jack london square

Jack London Square Finds a Haven | Zagat

Old 01-20-2012, 05:28 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post

OAKLAND SIDESHOWS - YouTube

Raw Video: Security Video of Oakland Shooting - YouTube

Effects of Violence Among Urban Youth in Oakland - YouTube
LOL....in other words, your information about Oakland comes from the internet.

What else is new?

I still don't get the inordinate fixation by 'everygraystate' on Oakland....its weird.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikergrrl View Post
I'm fine with people believing ALL of Oakland is what they see on the news. I'm trying to buy a house and don't need any more competition driving the price up over half-million than I already have.
Seriously, more than any other city I have lived in, Oakland is a city of definite neighborhoods, towns and villages within a city that never get shown on TV.
Hmmph.
Well I've just been outbid on a property I wanted to buy. Myself and 4 others put in bids and it went for above its asking price. I guess there ARE some people who want to live here who can see past the hype.
I agree with hikergrrl - keep it coming. I don't need this competition.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I still don't get the inordinate fixation by 'everygraystate' on Oakland....its weird.
Seasonal Affective Disorder. Courtesy of Seattle, WA.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Seasonal Affective Disorder. Courtesy of Seattle, WA.
Having posted extensively in the Seattle forum as well as having gone there; Seattlites don't like their city being compared to any other. They especially don't like the Oakland comparison especially since the two are actually quite similar in many ways. Big sore spot for them.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Having posted extensively in the Seattle forum as well as having gone there; Seattlites don't like their city being compared to any other. They especially don't like the Oakland comparison especially since the two are actually quite similar in many ways. Big sore spot for them.
And that's because they have no clue that there are many areas of Oakland that are more similar to Seattle than SF.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/...5c92ace3_z.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And that's because they have no clue that there are many areas of Oakland that are more similar to Seattle than SF.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/...5c92ace3_z.jpg (broken link)
Oh most definitely. No way Seattle is more similar to SF than it is to Oakland. Lots of freeway drives in western WA look like this shot along the Warren in Oakland.
The overall appearance and infrastructure of Seattle resembles Oakland (and Berkeley) much more than perhaps anywhere else.
Lets not forget the squares of both cities being somewhat near the ports with lots of old brick buildings; Jack London and Pioneer Square. Both have nice urban lakes in them; Green Lake and Lake Merritt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland