Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 PM

113 posts, read 343,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
forker -you are giving the appearaqnce of being mentally unstable.if you haven't picked up on it ,you need to chill.
The only mentally unstable people here are the ones from the Bay Area.
I am OWNING Bay Area girl. She couldn't put a decent argument together in a debate, if her LIFE depended on it.

And you know I'm right.

I mean come on? Plastic surgery? Is that the level we have sunk to?? People get Plastic surgery in the Bay ALL the time. Just look at the Transsexuals. They are WALKING examples of Plastic surgery.

If you believe what she believes, that the crafts and skills people exercise in artistic fields in Southern California aren't real, then just tell a Digital Matte Painter that moved from L.A. to work at Industrial Light and Magic in Marin that his/her skill, hard work, and career ISN'T REAL.

I'm DISGUSTED.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunshine View Post
are you saying there is more crime in the bay area than in la????? do you live in la?
There is more IN YOUR FACE style crime in the bay, and the homeless population invades neighborhoods.

In L.A. it stays in the pockets that it festers in, even if it's statistically worse than Bay, it doesn't interfere with everyday life as much. And that is a fact.

Because the local city governments than run nice cities, keep their cities nice by keeping that stuff out their cities.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 PM

54 posts, read 170,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
There is more IN YOUR FACE style crime in the bay, and the homeless population invades neighborhoods.

In L.A. it stays in the pockets that it festers in, even if it's statistically worse than Bay, it doesn't interfere with everyday life as much. And that is a fact.

Because the local city governments than run nice cities, keep their cities nice by keeping that stuff out their cities.
Having lived in both places I sort of see what you're saying. But I still disagree with you. I lived in Brentwood for some time & I def. felt the crime element and that is a very nice area. I lived in Santa Monica (another nice area) and def. felt the crime element. I have friends who live in Playa del Rey and Marina del Rey. Again, nice areas that cost a fair amount to live in, but crime was not unnoticeable.

What I am trying to say is crime is everywhere and is especially concentrated in urban areas. Perhaps you've had some bad experiences in the Bay Area-- unlucky, unfortunate experiences-- that have given you the idea that this area is crime-ridden. I have lived extensively in both the Bay Area and in LA. I would give the "crime" award to LA HANDS-DOWN. I would give the "dirty" award to LA HANDS-DOWN. I would give the "bad air" award to LA HANDS-DOWN. Weather? LA is better. Exciting things to do? For me, LA is better, but I can't deny the things that exist in SF either.

I think your experience in the Bay Area is quite unusual. I have never heard someone speak so poorly of the area. I know plenty who wouldn't live here, but they see the positive and don't harbor such negativity towards this place. You don't seem to see the positive. That's fine. But if it gets you this angry.... well, doesn't seem worth it to me.

It sounds like you are more of a socal person than norcal. Nothing wrong with that. Just state that and move on. For all the bad things you can say about norcal, we can all say equally bad things about socal. But it's not worth it. I've read through your posts and I just don't see what you see.

Can't we all just get along????

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunshine View Post
Having lived in both places I sort of see what you're saying. But I still disagree with you. I lived in Brentwood for some time & I def. felt the crime element and that is a very nice area. I lived in Santa Monica (another nice area) and def. felt the crime element. I have friends who live in Playa del Rey and Marina del Rey. Again, nice areas that cost a fair amount to live in, but crime was not unnoticeable.

What I am trying to say is crime is everywhere and is especially concentrated in urban areas. Perhaps you've had some bad experiences in the Bay Area-- unlucky, unfortunate experiences-- that have given you the idea that this area is crime-ridden. I have lived extensively in both the Bay Area and in LA. I would give the "crime" award to LA HANDS-DOWN. I would give the "dirty" award to LA HANDS-DOWN. I would give the "bad air" award to LA HANDS-DOWN. Weather? LA is better. Exciting things to do? For me, LA is better, but I can't deny the things that exist in SF either.

I think your experience in the Bay Area is quite unusual. I have never heard someone speak so poorly of the area. I know plenty who wouldn't live here, but they see the positive and don't harbor such negativity towards this place. You don't seem to see the positive. That's fine. But if it gets you this angry.... well, doesn't seem worth it to me.

It sounds like you are more of a socal person than norcal. Nothing wrong with that. Just state that and move on. For all the bad things you can say about norcal, we can all say equally bad things about socal. But it's not worth it. I've read through your posts and I just don't see what you see.

Can't we all just get along????

Sure we can.

But I have to disagree with you on the dirty thing.
Oakland and Berkeley have more trash strewn on the streets, homeless, and bad cracked up pavement on the roads, than where I live now. The Burbank/Glendale area. Street sweepers come often and keep the streets clean. Homeless are here but very few of them.

I know this is just one small part of L.A., there are probably much dirtier parts. On the whole though, the West side of the East Bay felt much dirtier to me, and the street lighting at night was horrible. Which made it feel even shadier to me, and people would being doing drugs and performing sex acts in their cars.

And yeah I agree, there is a HELL of a lot more things to do down here.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Slave days are over so you can't own me. You have not proven any point that is why you keep coming back. I don't need to have an arguement especially with people I don't know and don't choose to know. I believe I've proven my point and can handle you very well.

Again, never said anyone in So. Cal was fake. People in So. Cal are the ones to point out that a lot of their lifestyles are not "real". Sure people from all over have plastic surgery but they do so in So. California. Southern CA is known for it, they create images that are not real. People that work behind the camera also partake in an unreal world. Everything about their job is valid and is not my point. Most of them are artist that create images, illusions, they entertain in an imaginary setting and being in an entertainment field is not something most people can relate to because jobs that most people in this country have are not in the entertainment field. If you live in Alabama for example you aren't expecting to have your neighbor be in the entertainment field and or for them to know other people who are in that line of busines, and you wouldn't be meeting random people from all places saying that they are in the "industry" and all they do for a living is park cars.

OK, really I am done.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM

54 posts, read 170,554 times
Okay, sorry, but my best friend from college has lived in the Glendale/Burbank area for the last 15 years. It is TERRIBLY dirty, unpicturesque, and has crappy/unkept homes. Whenever she comes up to visit in SF she remarks on how clean the East Bay is. LA is dirtier, more unsafe, and more crime-ridden than the Bay Area. Sex acts in cars? Hilarious. Where you were hanging out at night??? I mean really. If you were in downtown Oakland & witnessed this, it begs the question-- did you think that was going to be a fun, appropriate place for a night out? When I lived in LA I didn't drive into Compton thinking I was going to have good, clean fun at the local ice cream parlor. I mean, really.

As for street lighting.... I fail to see how that matters. In the burbs here there isn't much, but that's nice. Why would you want street-city lighting streaming into your windows at 10pm? How UNrelaxing. I hated that about the westside. Your world never shut off. If you're in the city in the Bay Area you'll find plenty of street lighting.

I dunno Forker. I still wonder why you care so much about the Bay Area if you (supposedly) live in Glendale/Burbank.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Slave days are over so you can't own me. You have not proven any point that is why you keep coming back. I don't need to have an arguement especially with people I don't know and don't choose to know. I believe I've proven my point and can handle you very well.

Again, never said anyone in So. Cal was fake. People in So. Cal are the ones to point out that a lot of their lifestyles are not "real". Sure people from all over have plastic surgery but they do so in So. California. Southern CA is known for it, they create images that are not real. People that work behind the camera also partake in an unreal world. Everything about their job is valid and is not my point. Most of them are artist that create images, illusions, they entertain in an imaginary setting and being in an entertainment field is not something most people can relate to because jobs that most people in this country have are not in the entertainment field. If you live in Alabama for example you aren't expecting to have your neighbor be in the entertainment field and or for them to know other people who are in that line of busines, and you wouldn't be meeting random people from all places saying that they are in the "industry" and all they do for a living is park cars.

OK, really I am done.

"Sure people from all over have plastic surgery but they do so in So. California."

So why even mention it then if people do it everywhere? It's a non-issue.

"they create images that are not real."

So did Leonardo Da Vinci, and Picasso, that doesn't make their work any less beautiful or valid. What makes us Human is to create art. Be it fine art or commercial art.

"People that work behind the camera also partake in an unreal world."

Stress is real. Deadlines are real. Performing to certain level of artistry is HARD work and is definitely real. Making a living is real.

"you wouldn't be meeting random people from all places saying that they are in the "industry" and all they do for a living is park cars."

I have never met ANYONE like that here. I have only met people that are actually working in it. I don't understand your point.

Yeah some people are struggling Dancers that wait tables during the evening and go audition for music videos during the day. SO what? Why does that make them less real. They have a passion for Dance. What is wrong with that? They want to make a living doing what they are inspired by doing. They take care of themselves and try to look attractive so they can get the part. Why be a hater? Why judge people and say they are living in an illusion? It's not an illusion, it's life. It's putting yourself out there and taking a risk. Dreaming big.

Get over yourself.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Closed Pending Assigned Moderator's review...

Thanks for everyone for sharing their knowledge of the poster's topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland