Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

This is very interesting.

Quote:
GE investing $1B in Bay Area software hub

SAN RAMON, Calif. (AP) — General Electric Co., a maker of power plants, jet engines and medical imaging equipment, said Thursday that it is investing $1 billion in a new software headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area with plans to hire 400 software-related staffers to develop what it calls the "Industrial Internet."

The headquarters will be in San Ramon, about a half-hour drive east of Oakland, in leased space at the Bishop Ranch office complex.

The Fairfield, Conn.-based industrial giant is hoping to attract technology experts who live in the East Bay region of greater San Francisco, but prefer not to make the long commute to Silicon Valley, which is home to leading technology companies such as Google Inc., Apple Inc. and Intel Corp...

GE has hired 50 workers already and plans to add another 350 over the next 18 months, Ruh said.

The Associated Press: GE investing $1B in Bay Area software hub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
I hope all the workers who sign up there enjoy getting fired in a few years when GE stockholders whine about their dividends not being big enough. Corporate employers are like that.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
The power of capital in the hands of the few... To be able to see opportunity, take risks, and invest in it ..

Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM

330 posts, read 749,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I hope all the workers who sign up there enjoy getting fired in a few years when GE stockholders whine about their dividends not being big enough. Corporate employers are like that.
They also offer health care, 401k, tuition reimbursement benefits, paid holidays and sick days, and plenty of opportunities to move up the corporate ladder or laterally within the organization to expand your skill set. Large Corporations get a bad rap mostly from people who've never worked in one.

I used to work for a Fortune 25 Corporation, and trust me, it was the best thing that ever happened to my career. I got an MBA 100% paid for, 401k matched at 75%, employee stock and incentive bonuses, 1.5X overtime pay, and was able to switch job roles every couple years for a wide variety of experiences. Not to mention, just having that company name on my resume will give me credibility with other potential employers for the rest of my life.

There's always the risk of layoffs, sure, and they can squeeze you when times are tough, but those conditions exist in every type of job. Not just corporate gigs.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Everyone I've known who's worked for GE was laid off within 4 years in mass rounds of layoffs, they do them every few years to sate their stockholders and to pay for CEO bonuses, just like a lot of big companies.

That said, I really wonder what will happen in the long term when these big non-CA companies like Wal-Mart or GE set up some sort of "innovation factory" in the Bay Area to try and come late to the party and leech off the success of Silicon Valley.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 AM

139 posts, read 202,217 times
I know the way GE hires...200H-1s, 100 other kinds of temporary (shady) visas, 50 locals...Ive seen it on the east coast

Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Yes, they are an evil corporation, so they should stay out and take their jobs with them. We don't want corporations and their jobs around here. And we don't need new jobs unless they come with a permanent lifetime guarantee.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katskill View Post
I know the way GE hires...200H-1s, 100 other kinds of temporary (shady) visas, 50 locals...Ive seen it on the east coast
It's probably why they're setting up shop in San Ramon--lots of Indian immigrants there, and Indians always prefer living where other Indians live. Should be an H-1-apalooza.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Well if were knocking G.E. we might as well bring up they paid $0 in taxes last year on their huge profits.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:45 PM

139 posts, read 202,217 times
"Yes, they are an evil corporation, so they should stay out and take their jobs with them. We don't want corporations and their jobs around here. And we don't need new jobs unless they come with a permanent lifetime guarantee."
well...political views aside, Im just pointing out that GE employing 400 dosent necessarily mean 400 more jobs for the local economy.
Of all the corps you can pick to make your sarcastic case, GE? As someone pointed out, they paid $0 taxes...worse they got our taxpayer bailout for their financial arm.
Top that, theyve actually colluded in transfering proprietary tech developed in collaboration with a govt research center (I dont remember details) to China...
and there's more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland