Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 PM

140 posts, read 676,761 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Guerneville for a couple days. I really liked it. I thought it was down-to-earth, not snooty or pretentious like so many areas in CA. Yes, I know there's a lot of pot use there, but that's an issue all over Northern CA, right? Some people have described it as freaky, dirty and seedy. I'd love to get some feedback from people who have spent a good deal of time there or lived/live there.
Are people pretty grounded and sound-minded there? I am very liberal, by the way. I know there's a substantial gay community there which is fine with me. I thought people seemed very friendly, but I wasn't there long. If you have some insight to share, please do. I'd also be interested in anything you can share about the housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
I recently visited Guerneville for a couple days. I really liked it. I thought it was down-to-earth, not snooty or pretentious like so many areas in CA. Yes, I know there's a lot of pot use there, but that's an issue all over Northern CA, right? Some people have described it as freaky, dirty and seedy. I'd love to get some feedback from people who have spent a good deal of time there or lived/live there.
Are people pretty grounded and sound-minded there? I am very liberal, by the way. I know there's a substantial gay community there which is fine with me. I thought people seemed very friendly, but I wasn't there long. If you have some insight to share, please do. I'd also be interested in anything you can share about the housing.
There's a bit of everything in Guerneville -- except pretentiousness You can find a home from $60,000 -- to $600,000 (and up) ... there's most every kind of people there, as well ... from unsavory to Jesus freaks to drunks, fun-loving nut-cases, intellectuals, artists, bikers, and even *gasp* lawyers! Tricks to Guerneville are to take note of the flood zones and the darkness of the canyon depths ... it can get pretty tiresome in winter when damp and chill never meet the sunshine in many locations.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM

140 posts, read 676,761 times
Thanks for the feedback, nullgeo I will be mindful of those issues if I move there. The other issue I wonder about is if I will feel claustrophobic in such a wooded area. I had the same concern about Vermont when I was considering that state
Sometimes I like to see an expanse. But there is the expanse of the river and I can go to Bodego Bay as well.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Thanks for the feedback, nullgeo I will be mindful of those issues if I move there. The other issue I wonder about is if I will feel claustrophobic in such a wooded area. I had the same concern about Vermont when I was considering that state
Sometimes I like to see an expanse. But there is the expanse of the river and I can go to Bodego Bay as well.
Well, depending on your budget for a place to rent or buy, you could go down the Bohemian Hwy toward Bodega Bay from Monte Rio and find open properties. The community of Camp Meeker, along the way, is mostly a wooded area as well, but a pretty unique spot ... quiet community, nothing going on and many folks complain there's too much rain in winter -- but really pretty cool in my opinion ... better yet, further up the highway, is the town of Occidental, at which point the land opens up quite a lot and is fairly flat -- er, I should say: gently rolling ... but not the steep canyons of the Russian River towns. There's not much going on in Occidental compared to Guerneville, but it's a nice little town with a couple amenities and an easy shot back to Guerneville or out to Bodega Bay, or cross to Sebastopol -- which area is very beautiful and open ... a sensational town.

The Bohemian Highway is a well known scenic drive ... bikers love it! ... twisting and turning through forest and some fields (mostly past Occidental) ... worth the drive just for the views and fun. Enjoy

Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,774 times
Great stuff here! I first visited Guerneville in 1984/85, and have often thought I'd like to retire there. After six years in a city in the Midwest (that I'd prefer not to mention -- dying here is redundant . . .), I'd love to move to Guerneville, which I visited just last week. I didn't have the time to research rental prices -- does anyone know what apartments are renting for there, these days?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:43 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I knew someone who lived there, and she said never move to Guerneville. It floods every spring. Everything gets moldy. There must be properties or areas that don't flood, but how inconvenient is that, living among flooded areas and having to navigate around them?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I knew someone who lived there, and she said never move to Guerneville. It floods every spring. Everything gets moldy. There must be properties or areas that don't flood, but how inconvenient is that, living among flooded areas and having to navigate around them?
That is a pretty serious oversimplification statement ... it doesn't flood every year to the point of "having to navigate around [the area]" ... although that happens often enough that it is a factor to take into account. That said, the relatively low cost for the appealing attributes, uh, I'd buy there in a heartbeat if I wasn't already so happy with the properties I own elsewhere. Having to "navigate" around some flooding for a few days or even a week every few years is no big deal. And yes, there are a majority of properties that don't flood themselves. Moldy? That has mostly to do with how you set up your housekeeping.

I don't know what rents are in Guerneville. I know that there is a wide range of real estate types and costs ... generally rentals would also vary to fit the property valuations. I would expect one could find very affordable rentals in the area.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:07 PM

114 posts, read 239,807 times
Two words

River Rats

Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
That is a pretty serious oversimplification statement ... it doesn't flood every year to the point of "having to navigate around [the area]" ... although that happens often enough that it is a factor to take into account. That said, the relatively low cost for the appealing attributes, uh, I'd buy there in a heartbeat if I wasn't already so happy with the properties I own elsewhere. Having to "navigate" around some flooding for a few days or even a week every few years is no big deal. And yes, there are a majority of properties that don't flood themselves. Moldy? That has mostly to do with how you set up your housekeeping.

I don't know what rents are in Guerneville. I know that there is a wide range of real estate types and costs ... generally rentals would also vary to fit the property valuations. I would expect one could find very affordable rentals in the area.
Probably mildew, not mold. Mildew crops up when it's damp and/or humid.

Mr. Flyer and I were given a gift certificate for a two night stay at a... ahem, resort in Monte Rio. Resort? Ummm, it was a little motel. It was fine, but we couldn't help but laugh. We also visited a bar in, or just outside of Guernville. The decor looked like it hadn't been changed since 1965. We liked it though.

Also, the area where the Russian river opens up into the ocean is quite impressive. I think that little seaside town is Jenner.

It's kind of a step back in time up there. Cool place to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there.

Side Note: I love Ruth4Truth's screen name. Makes me smile whenever I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland