Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,051 times

Advertisements

Moving to SF in August 2012.
Bachelors in Psych. Minor in Soc.
Would like to work in the city in a Teen Home or some kind of non-profit organization working with children to start off... if found.
$1200 rent budget- possibly living alone or with a friend
Not bringing my car.
Don't mind a commute after living in Chicago for 4 years.

Basically.. here is what everyone wants to know..
Where to live?
I'd prefer to live in the city but I am completely aware of the outrageous rent cost for a small living area. I wouldn't mind Oakland no matter how many people are disgusted with. So neighborhoods?

Not only a place to live.. but does anyone know some status on finding a job with a Psych degree? I've checked out the ONet website, but it would be nice to hear personal experience if possible.

Advice needed!
and come on.. not too harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKate View Post
Moving to SF in August 2012.
Bachelors in Psych. Minor in Soc.
Would like to work in the city in a Teen Home or some kind of non-profit organization working with children to start off... if found.
$1200 rent budget- possibly living alone or with a friend
Not bringing my car.
Don't mind a commute after living in Chicago for 4 years.

Basically.. here is what everyone wants to know..
Where to live?
I'd prefer to live in the city but I am completely aware of the outrageous rent cost for a small living area. I wouldn't mind Oakland no matter how many people are disgusted with. So neighborhoods?

Not only a place to live.. but does anyone know some status on finding a job with a Psych degree? I've checked out the ONet website, but it would be nice to hear personal experience if possible.

Advice needed!
and come on.. not too harsh.
$1200 won't get you much in SF. Studio apts go for more than that in SF. Go with Oakland which has good areas. Since you won't have a car, find a place around one of the BART stations - like Lake Merritt. www.bart.gov/stations/index.aspx

Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Join the Young Non Profit Professionals group. They have job boards, and post jobs to their members all the time.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM

20 posts, read 45,596 times
Kate - I'm getting ready to move to Oakland from St. Louis. You won't get anything in SF for $1200 unless you are open to roommates. I just got back from exploring the east bay last week and Oakland is very nice, especially around Lake Merritt, Piedmont and Rockridge. Berkeley was also very cool. Being from St. Louis you should ignore the 'reputation' of Oakland and find the nice parts of the city just like you would in STL (or Chicago - I also lived there in Logan Square)

Old 02-23-2012, 12:38 PM

32 posts, read 47,719 times
St. Louis love!! I am also a fellow St. Louisan whose been stalking these boards preparing for a move to the Bay area some time in April or May. I currently live in a totally updated 2 br apt in Soulard w/ outdoor space for $650. Yes, $650 in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city. The cost of living difference is astounding. Good luck to you both!

Also I've worked in np's since graduating in 2009. I'm hoping to transition to a for profit, but if you'd like any insider info I'm happy to help

Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Thank you! I was thinking about that.. the dangers of STL are all over the media, but you learn where to go and not to. I lived in the West Loop and Lincoln Park btw.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM

Awesome! I'll probably be keeping in touch. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland