Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Pit bulls are dangerous and needs to be banned. But more importantly Pit bull owners are usually stupid and dangerous! So I am not surprised about the landlord's reaction. SF will be a better place without people like you. So don't move here.
Real deep stuff there, adhd.

Since the OP has presented himself as a responsible owner, we can probably exclude such a person from the "usually stupid and dangerous" set. And you hate SF anyway, so what difference would it make if that person is here or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
I'm sorry you're having trouble finding a place where you can rent with your 2 dogs.

The bay area is a very difficult place to rent, and it's hard even if you have just one cat or one tiny dog. A lot of landlords decide to not allow pets at all.

While Pit Bulls are on the 'aggressive breed' list and not allowed (which I suspect is an insurance thing, and the landlord has to adhere to this requirement), there's also the issue that both of your dogs are on the large size. I'm not familiar with vizslas and had to google the breed, but most pet-rent agreement I've seen have a 40 lb weight limit, regardless of breed.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM

296 posts, read 625,879 times
I feel for you, and I'm an animal lover, but, unfortunately, pit bulls have a seriously bad rep. Try looking for a property that has lots of space for your dogs, maybe a house rental with a large yard.

I believe the dogs mentioned by the above poster were of the Presa Canario breed.

Best of luck to you!

Hah, just noticed that the OP's post was from last year. . .

Last edited by Kurinji; 05-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Just noticed this was an old post

Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
I'm not going to get too deep into this pit debate as well. It's far too crazy and emotional for many dog owners. On a personal level I would not own such a breed myself just so that I could eliminate the risk of safety. While I understand that any breed can attack at any given time I would argue that a small dog such as a chihuahua won't have the ability to maul you to death, so to speak, as oppose to a powerful pitbull or pit mix. It's the breeding history. It's the instincts. With that being said I'm sure there are plenty of sweet loving pits out there. I just wouldn't jeopardize my own friends or family.
Coincidentally, a disproportionate number of the dogs at animal shelters are pitbulls and Chihuahuas, because many owners go into wanting these pets without really understanding well what it takes to be a dog owner, and perhaps following a fad or a trend. I think the reasons for many pitbulls being surrendered are fairly well understood.

Chihuahuas? Well, yes, they're small and cute, which makes some folks forget that it's still a DOG, and you gotta treat it like any other dog, with firm discipline and training. I think there's something called "Small Dog Syndrome" that people will tolerate in small toy dogs that isn't not tolerated with larger breeds. So the little Chihuahuas end up developing bad dog behavior because the humans don't expect any better, and eventually many of them end up being surrendered. Which is unfortunate.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times
It's such a shame that Pit Bulls get such a bad reputation. But it's not the breed, it's the owner that causes a viscious dog. Pit Bulls on a whole, are as loving as any breed. And if trained correctly (like any other animal), can be a great family pet. I know this reference may be too out there for some folks, but if you remember the old "Little Rascals" movies from the 30's and 40's, Petey the dog was a Pitt Bull. This dog was around children all day, every day, and nothing bad ever happened to a child due to Petey. Basically most animals are pack animals, and if you train them right, they will follow your lead as the pack leader, and they will be happy to respond well to your leadership.

Hell, they train Grizzly Bears to be in movies. A Grizzly can just swipe his paw and take his trainer's head right off, but they don't, because they've been trained right since being small cubs, and see the trainer as the leader. If all your dog has ever know is receiving cruel behavior, of course they will act out. If all they've ever been trained to do is fight, of course they will always try to be the alpha dog, and atatck anyone/anything that comes near it or it looks upon as a threat.

Treat a Pit Bull with tons of love, and respect, but let it know who's boss and who's in charge, and there will never be a negative incident in it's lifetime. My cousin had an American Bulldog, basically the same jaw of a Pit Bull, but weighed 125 pounds. When it played with his pal, a Golden Retriever, it saw that dog as the pack leader, and was totally submissive though it could have destroyed that retriever. It was trained to play well with others. I remember seeing my 2 year old niece laying on top of him like a bed. No issues or problems ever.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
It's such a shame that Pit Bulls get such a bad reputation. But it's not the breed, it's the owner that causes a viscious dog. Pit Bulls on a whole, are as loving as any breed. And if trained correctly (like any other animal), can be a great family pet. I know this reference may be too out there for some folks, but if you remember the old "Little Rascals" movies from the 30's and 40's, Petey the dog was a Pitt Bull. This dog was around children all day, every day, and nothing bad ever happened to a child due to Petey. Basically most animals are pack animals, and if you train them right, they will follow your lead as the pack leader, and they will be happy to respond well to your leadership.

Hell, they train Grizzly Bears to be in movies. A Grizzly can just swipe his paw and take his trainer's head right off, but they don't, because they've been trained right since being small cubs, and see the trainer as the leader. If all your dog has ever know is receiving cruel behavior, of course they will act out. If all they've ever been trained to do is fight, of course they will always try to be the alpha dog, and atatck anyone/anything that comes near it or it looks upon as a threat.

Treat a Pit Bull with tons of love, and respect, but let it know who's boss and who's in charge, and there will never be a negative incident in it's lifetime. My cousin had an American Bulldog, basically the same jaw of a Pit Bull, but weighed 125 pounds. When it played with his pal, a Golden Retriever, it saw that dog as the pack leader, and was totally submissive though it could have destroyed that retriever. It was trained to play well with others. I remember seeing my 2 year old niece laying on top of him like a bed. No issues or problems ever.
Seriously fella?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Seriously fella?
Does anything I wrote imply that I was joking ? But thanks for asking.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM

254 posts, read 597,743 times
Why do people with these big dogs live in these little apartments here in the city with no backyard? These poor big dogs have no room, and nowhere to run around. I see this where i live, and I feel sorry for these dogs. These owners don't realize tht big dogs get bored cooped up and will make a mess of the place due to the anxiety of being alone and having nothing to do. They need to be outside and getting exercise for at least 45 minutes a day. I have watched these dog owners walk their dogs just to do their business, not play with them, and then go home so they can get ready to go to work. Then they come home from work, let their dogs out for play then. Little dogs may be easier to take care of, but they still need attention. I have one neighbor who leaves his two little dogs at home all the time, and they bark incessantly. i had to put a note on his door to ask him to do something about the barking all day or all night.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Why do people with these big dogs live in these little apartments here in the city with no backyard? These poor big dogs have no room, and nowhere to run around. I see this where i live, and I feel sorry for these dogs. These owners don't realize tht big dogs get bored cooped up and will make a mess of the place due to the anxiety of being alone and having nothing to do. They need to be outside and getting exercise for at least 45 minutes a day. I have watched these dog owners walk their dogs just to do their business, not play with them, and then go home so they can get ready to go to work. Then they come home from work, let their dogs out for play then. Little dogs may be easier to take care of, but they still need attention. I have one neighbor who leaves his two little dogs at home all the time, and they bark incessantly. i had to put a note on his door to ask him to do something about the barking all day or all night.
Some people insist on having it all, even if it may not be a terribly good idea to pursue such. I would agree, big dogs cooped up in a little SF apt. is a sad circumstance.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Uh..a pitbull mix just attacked and bit my dog in the face yesterday in the dog park. I have no sympathy for you. Don't move here. In addition...you talk too much.
one dog doesnot represent a whole breed. I wonder if you do the same thing with race too? Smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland