Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 PM

121 posts, read 210,215 times

Advertisements

In apartment listings, I often see that a lease is for 1 year, then month to month. This is different from Indiana where it's always a 1 year lease; if the lease is up, you renew for another year.

I'm wondering why SF favors month to month lease after 1 year? Is this a good or bad thing for tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,929,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
In apartment listings, I often see that a lease is for 1 year, then month to month. This is different from Indiana where it's always a 1 year lease; if the lease is up, you renew for another year.

I'm wondering why SF favors month to month lease after 1 year? Is this a good or bad thing for tenants?
if it's month to month then they can raise the rent easier.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,847 times
I think that's just how it's done in California. And yes, as the others point out, going to month to month after the one year lease has expired undoubtedly makes it easier to boost rents.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,245,633 times
It's a combination of things - landlords are not as worried about not being able to rent out units, CA is a very transient place and some renters cannot commit to staying for a full year after the first year, and yes it also gives landlord more opportunity to raise rent; month to month just allows for more flexibility for both sides.

Now, if you're in SF, Oakland, or parts of LA then you're protected by rent control (for certain units).

Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,012,266 times
Besides what others pointed out that the landlord can increase rent more easily for month to month, for most apartment complexes the month to month rent is already way higher than a normal one year lease. Some tenants don't even check that rate specifically and think they are covered when the lease is up, until they receive the bill that is more than 500$ higher than their normal rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post

Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,323,993 times
Leases are by definition in CA for a period of 1 year or more. Without an extension of a lease for another one year period, every lease reverts to a month-to-month tenancy, even longer term commercial ones.

A new lease can be written at any time during a month-to-month tenancy on agreement of both landlord and tenant.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
One complex always does 1 year lease to start...

Before the lease is up, management will offer to renew the lease, often on the original terms or convert to a month to month with an increase in rent.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM

121 posts, read 210,215 times
I'm a little confused. Some of you mention landlords can raise rent easier with month to month, but do I understand correctly that SF has rent control for all buildings built before something like 1979 - which is every apartment listing I've seen so far. So, with a month to month lease, the landlord nevertheless can't raise rent by the limit of the rent control, which I understand to be very low, like 1-2%?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,245,633 times
Not all buildings, single family homes and condos (even if they're built before 1979) do not have rent control. Only non-condo units in multiple unit building has it.

For units protected by rent control, it makes no difference if the tenant is on a month to month or yearly lease, since landlord cannot kick them out and cannot raise rent more than allowed. So most landlords don't even bother renewing the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland