Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,510 times

Advertisements

Hi All!,

My partner and I are relocating from Ohio to SF. I've been doing a lot of research lately, and I'd love everyone's advice.

I have two questions.

1) I was offered a job near Montgomery St BART, on Post St.

I'm looking for neighborhood recommendations. Here's a bit of information:

- Budget can be up to $2,400 /mo. Prefer lower than that, but that is the maximum.
- Young 20's, but not much of a party-people. Prefer more relaxed, quiet neighborhoods.
- Fog / weather isn't a concern. Anything here I'm sure is better than Ohio's.

Here's our requirements (in order):

1) Safety. This is crucial.
2) Commute via public transit is no more than 30 mins.
3) Parking. I'll have a car (really only for exploring outside of the City). Garage or off-street parking is definitely preferred.
4) Walking access to restaurants, coffee shops, and grocery. If not possible, then easy access via Muni.

I was really leaning toward Richmond District. However, it's a 30 minute Muni trip (according to Google). We could easily get a place a lot better in Rockridge, and then commute through BART for about the same time. Plus I've read that BART is far superior to Muni in reliability? What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Here's all the neighborhoods I was considering:

Richmond District
Pacific and Presidio Heights
Russian Hill
Telegraph Hill
Bernal Heights
Rockridge
Berkeley

If anyone has anything else to add or remove, I'd love hear it! I would love to be in SF proper, but I really want to make sure my commute isn't too bad, and we're not getting a tiny Studio for $2400 a month.

2) My second question is much easier. Does anyone have any experiences to share with rental realtors? We're currently thinking of hiring someone rather than flying out and back, it just seems a lot of wasted time and money to do it than hire a professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,979 times
If by reliability you mean your means of transit showing up at a specific time and taking a scheduled amount of time to get there, yes, BART is vastly more reliable. Muni will get you to your destination just fine, but since they're going through traffic, there's no way to predict how long it will take.

I love the Richmond District, but Google is actually being overly optimistic on that time. I don't think you'd reliably get downtown in 30 minutes, and it is going to be a horrible commute in a slow, packed bus both ways. I think Presidio Heights is getting a little far away, too. There's no real transit from the Telegraph Hill area, either, unless you want to ride a cable car or street car full of tourists to work...

Inner Sunset might work, with the Muni Metro lines. Glen Park, would be good, too. You could take BART.

I don't know about hiring a realtor for rentals. If there are people who do that here, I couldn't find them when I moved last year from Chicago. But also, you really need to come out and check out the neighborhoods. The places you've mentioned are all very different from each other.

If you're not familiar with them, these are some useful sites:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Get Your Walk Score - Find Walkable Apartments and Rentals
https://sf.everyblock.com/

Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
If by reliability you mean your means of transit showing up at a specific time and taking a scheduled amount of time to get there, yes, BART is vastly more reliable. Muni will get you to your destination just fine, but since they're going through traffic, there's no way to predict how long it will take.

I love the Richmond District, but Google is actually being overly optimistic on that time. I don't think you'd reliably get downtown in 30 minutes, and it is going to be a horrible commute in a slow, packed bus both ways. I think Presidio Heights is getting a little far away, too. There's no real transit from the Telegraph Hill area, either, unless you want to ride a cable car or street car full of tourists to work...

Inner Sunset might work, with the Muni Metro lines. Glen Park, would be good, too. You could take BART.

I don't know about hiring a realtor for rentals. If there are people who do that here, I couldn't find them when I moved last year from Chicago. But also, you really need to come out and check out the neighborhoods. The places you've mentioned are all very different from each other.

If you're not familiar with them, these are some useful sites:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Get Your Walk Score - Find Walkable Apartments and Rentals
https://sf.everyblock.com/
Also, one my favorite sites for researching SF neighborhoods is here: Explore San Francisco Bay Area - NabeWise

They also have other cities on the site to compare to.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
BART is definitely more reliable than Muni. Muni breaks down often, is really crowded, and can be unpredictable at rush hour. The best thing you can do is live in SF and ride BART to work from somewhere like Glen Park or from the 24th street station.

Generally apartments don't come with parking in SF, and street parking is pretty impossible. You can generally rent garage spaces for $200 or so supposedly. I'd definitely look into Rockridge if you want safe, easy street parking, and stuff to do, and to save $$$ on rent. I lived there until a few months ago and loved it, it was a nice change from dirty/smelly/noisy SF but Oakland is definitely less urban and more spread out than SF.

Also generally people don't use realtors or agents in SF, they just go to open house viewings by landlords listed on craigslist. The rental market in SF is crazy right now because of an ongoing tech boom and I recently read an article where some woman had a service where she basically acts as your agent and goes to open houses and fights to get you a good apartment, and you pay her a month's rent for her fee.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:25 AM

3,247 posts, read 6,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcole2 View Post
Here's our requirements (in order):

1) Safety. This is crucial.
2) Commute via public transit is no more than 30 mins.
3) Parking. I'll have a car (really only for exploring outside of the City). Garage or off-street parking is definitely preferred.
4) Walking access to restaurants, coffee shops, and grocery. If not possible, then easy access via Muni.

I was really leaning toward Richmond District. However, it's a 30 minute Muni trip (according to Google). We could easily get a place a lot better in Rockridge, and then commute through BART for about the same time. Plus I've read that BART is far superior to Muni in reliability? What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Here's all the neighborhoods I was considering:

Richmond District
Pacific and Presidio Heights
Russian Hill
Telegraph Hill
Bernal Heights
Rockridge
Berkeley

If anyone has anything else to add or remove, I'd love hear it! I would love to be in SF proper, but I really want to make sure my commute isn't too bad, and we're not getting a tiny Studio for $2400 a month.
Add West Portal. It is one of the safest neighborhoods and has 3 Muni train lines going to Montgomery Station(the K,L & M). It is less than 20 minutes to Montgomery except sometimes the trains get stuck and there is a Muni meltdown. When this happens very few people have figured out that they can take the 23 bus to Glen Park Bart from the West Portal area as a backup. West Portal is easier than most city neighborhoods for parking. For exploring the city it is much easier to drive around except for the downtown area. The buses in SF are very slow,crowded and seem to come on a random schedule.

Remove Bernal Heights. Inconvenient bus lines. Close to unsafe neighborhoods.(like 26th and Harrison)

Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,510 times
Quote:
Understood. I know it varies a lot, but doing rush hour - how much extra time should one plan on just in case?

Quote:
I love the Richmond District, but Google is actually being overly optimistic on that time. I don't think you'd reliably get downtown in 30 minutes, and it is going to be a horrible commute in a slow, packed bus both ways.
Exactly the feedback I'm after! Thank you so much, you've saved me a lot of future frustration!

Quote:
I think Presidio Heights is getting a little far away, too. There's no real transit from the Telegraph Hill area, either, unless you want to ride a cable car or street car full of tourists to work...
I've removed Presidio Heights too. I've pulled up a few transit routes on Google, from varies points in Telegraph Hill, and they all state <15 mins. The one I recently pulled up had me taking the 8X, with some walking?

Quote:
Funny enough I had Sunset originally, but removed it as I thought it was too far. I see what you mean with taking something like N Judah line.

There's no places right now for apts in Glen Park, but I added anyway.

Quote:
Problem is I'll be moving in about 3 weeks. Things are tight now, but I will definitely take that to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Also, one my favorite sites for researching SF neighborhoods is here: Explore San Francisco Bay Area - NabeWise

They also have other cities on the site to compare to.
Using them all now, but thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
BART is definitely more reliable than Muni. Muni breaks down often, is really crowded, and can be unpredictable at rush hour. The best thing you can do is live in SF and ride BART to work from somewhere like Glen Park or from the 24th street station.
Understood. When I pull up the 24th st in SpotCrime, it's awfully red in the surrounding areas for my liking.

Quote:
Generally apartments don't come with parking in SF, and street parking is pretty impossible. You can generally rent garage spaces for $200 or so supposedly. I'd definitely look into Rockridge if you want safe, easy street parking, and stuff to do, and to save $$$ on rent. I lived there until a few months ago and loved it, it was a nice change from dirty/smelly/noisy SF but Oakland is definitely less urban and more spread out than SF.
I'll trust your judgment, but I have seen a few that do come with parking. Worst case scenario is I can park my car in one of the cheapest garages, and just take Muni to get to it. I really will only be using it only on the weekends when we venture out of the city to different areas.

Quote:
Also generally people don't use realtors or agents in SF, they just go to open house viewings by landlords listed on craigslist. The rental market in SF is crazy right now because of an ongoing tech boom and I recently read an article where some woman had a service where she basically acts as your agent and goes to open houses and fights to get you a good apartment, and you pay her a month's rent for her fee.
Dumb question, but if it's so crazy, why aren't tenants using these people more often? To me it makes a lot of sense to hire a professional who can haggle, and network with people better than someone like me who would just be cruising Padmapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Add West Portal. It is one of the safest neighborhoods and has 3 Muni train lines going to Montgomery Station(the K,L & M). It is less than 20 minutes to Montgomery except sometimes the trains get stuck and there is a Muni meltdown. When this happens very few people have figured out that they can take the 23 bus to Glen Park Bart from the West Portal area as a backup. West Portal is easier than most city neighborhoods for parking. For exploring the city it is much easier to drive around except for the downtown area. The buses in SF are very slow,crowded and seem to come on a random schedule.

Remove Bernal Heights. Inconvenient bus lines. Close to unsafe neighborhoods.(like 26th and Harrison)
Added it! It looks like a lovely neighborhood, but sadly, not too many apt listings right now.

And removed, thanks!

Here's my updated list:

Inner Sunset
Pacific Heights
Russian Hill
Telegraph Hill (waiting feedback)
Potrero Hill
West Portal
Twin Peaks
Parkside
Glen Park
West Portal
Rockridge
Berkeley

Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 AM

370 posts, read 863,347 times
The market is very tight right now and $2400 probably wont get your more than a 1 bedroom. You could probably rent a 2br place in Berkeley for that budget.

Also, people here dont use rent realtors. The demand is so high for places, landlords dont need them and wont pay their fees. Landlords can just post on craigslist and find a tenant.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcole2 View Post
I've pulled up a few transit routes on Google, from varies points in Telegraph Hill, and they all state <15 mins. The one I recently pulled up had me taking the 8X, with some walking?
Huh. Well, if the 8X runs at the times you'd need to commute, that's cool. My friends in North Beach say there's no transit, but they're probably going to/from the Embarcadero station.

Do keep in mind that Telegraph Hill is ONE HECK OF A HILL and you may not want to be walking back up that at the end of the day. (A bunch of houses there are only accessible by staircase.)

Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
The 24th Street Station is in the Mission which is definitely pretty grubby but it is a happening area, and the area around 24th is way less sleazy/grubby than the area around the 16th Street station. You could live west of Mission somewhere around Guerrero and 24th and have an easy walk to BART. Once you go west of Mission Street it's instantly way less sleazy than on Mission Street. If you really want safety over urbane then Glen Park would be the best choice, it's pretty much the only really safe and quiet area in SF with its own BART station and nearby restaurants/shops that are clustered around the BART station, but the further you get from the station the less stuff there is to do. Balboa Park should be safe too, it's more lower middle class feeling maybe, but there's not much going on there. If I had a $2400 budget I'd live somewhere like Guerrero and 24th just because BART is so much more convenient than Muni and you'd be near a lot of stuff to do.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
We lived in the Richmond (and loved it), but the commute is going to be longer than 30 minutes.

I think many of your city neighborhoods on that budget (and considering the car) seems overly optimistic, but it's worth a shot. East Bay is probably going to be your best bet, however.

You might want to add Alameda to the list. That's where we ended up, and we love it so far. Easy parking, nice weather, very easy commute to SF. We were looking at two-bedrooms and had different needs, but found it much cheaper here than some of the other more upscale areas we considered (parts of Oakland, Berkeley, etc.). No BART is a negative, and it's not a place for young people looking for a late nightlife, but you can definitely get very safe, quiet, very walkable neighborhoods. Plus, FWIW, the local rental agencies seem to have a lock on most of the rentals, and while they tend to charge a fee (30% of one months' rent seems to be the norm) it still beats the crazy rental market stress going on right now in SF. We'd looked for a long time in SF before deciding to expand our search, and things went MUCH faster here in Alamada.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other nice Oakland neighborhoods with BART or express bus access to your work that would be a good bet, too, so don't discount the East Bay (or limit yourself to only Rockridge or Berkeley).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland