Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,720,323 times

Advertisements

I hate to burst the bubble of the "let them eat cake" crowd posting here but the economy is in the crapper, everywhere. The job market is rigged against the unemployed. California is doing terrible in terms of the job market. This is undeniable. Unemployed people and the working poor in the Bay definitely are hurting even if you aren't. The cost of living in the Bay is astronomical and the job market in the Bay isn't exactly stellar outside of a few highly skilled professions in Silicon Valley. I hope no Kool Aid drinking Bay Area boosters try to refute this fact. But even DC is not the land of milk and honey. I know, I live in the DC Area. Most of the wealth in the DC Area stems from federal government jobs and contractor jobs with the gov't; both of which are very hard to get. Many Bay Area cities have double digit unemployment rates even when the real unemployment rate is not calculated. Getting a job these days is very hard, everywhere, unless you know somebody. A lot of luck is involved, like much of life, period. The only people who think otherwise just also happen to be the people who haven't had to look for a job since before 2007. Coincidence? I think not. Keep on pushing OP, you will find something.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-10-2012 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 AM

35 posts, read 67,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I hate to burst the bubble of the "let them eat cake" crowd posting here but the economy is in the crapper, everywhere. The job market is rigged against the unemployed. California is doing terrible in terms of the job market. This is undeniable. Unemployed people and the working poor in the Bay definitely are hurting even if you aren't. The cost of living in the Bay is astronomical and the job market in the Bay isn't exactly stellar outside of a few highly skilled professions in Silicon Valley. I hope no Kool Aid drinking Bay Area boosters try to refute this fact. But even DC is not the land of milk and honey. I know, I live in the DC Area. Most of the wealth in the DC Area stems from federal government jobs and contractor jobs with the gov't; both of which are very hard to get. Many Bay Area cities have double digit unemployment rates even when the real unemployment rate is not calculated. Getting a job these days is very hard, everywhere, unless you know somebody. A lot of luck is involved, like much of life, period. The only people who think otherwise just also happen to be the people who haven't had to look for a job since before 2007. Coincidence? I think not. Keep on pushing OP, you will find something.
Thanks... I got my usual 2-4 calls this week so things are moving I guess but still seems like forever for an offer.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 AM

3,980 posts, read 9,003,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Who are you referring to? I haven't read anything on this thread to suggest that posters have implied that the economy isn't suffering and to "let them eat cake". Most posters have been gracious and have made good solid suggestions on how this poster can get help--perhaps with the resume, perhaps with the negative/depressed vibe, perhaps with the interview stage etc.

Telling the poster that the unemployment rate is high and comparing to DC is not really very helpful to anyone. Of course it's high--and? Giving suggestions on what may be hurting OPs chances of getting hired (since she states that she gets interviews and calls) is more proactive. Perhaps you should actually to read through the thread again.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,537,815 times
Has the OP considered getting into java programming instead since he is in Silicon Valley?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 AM

40,981 posts, read 49,341,740 times
Does it not make you Technology guys mad when our Govt continues to Import cheap labor from India to work your jobs ? Why would they hire an American when the job can be done cheaper ?

Just asking.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,537,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Does it not make you Technology guys mad when our Govt continues to Import cheap labor from India to work your jobs ? Why would they hire an American when the job can be done cheaper ?

Just asking.
Its better than the companies off-shoring the jobs entirely to India or China. Because if you stop them from importing H1-B's that is what they will do.

And BTW its not our government that imports them, the corporations actively seek and lobby the govt to import cheap labor. The govt. is merely a rubber stamp for what the corporations want to do.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM

274 posts, read 861,588 times
Have you ever thought of "re-inventing yourself" ????

Creating a job while your waiting for what you want??? There is $$$ all around you if you just look for opportunities out of the box.
Of course it may not be the great white collar job that your used to but you can make a living.

I have a friend in San Jose who is an unemployed techie. He's making good $$ in the forclosure market. He said it's dirty work but he said he's bring in about $5 - 8k net a month.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,731,965 times
if you have "millions of phone interviews, 10+ face-to-face interviews" like you said, then there is nothing wrong with your exprience or age.

Maybe it has something to do with your interview skill like other people said, or what you write on your resume doesn't match your actual skill/knowledge/what you can do?

If said anything like that in the interview, "I was working in the North Bay area (Novato) but then I was fired by my overbearing, uncivilized, micromanaging managers.", noone will hire you.

since you are a "Data Analyst/Data Scientist/Statistician"

What is the best way to calculate "999 x 999" without using a calculator? Sometime I ask this question when I interview people for position that require basic math skill.

Last edited by spotlesseden; 08-16-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,931,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
What is the best way to calculate "999 x 999" without using a calculator? Sometime I ask this question when I interview people for position that require basic math skill.
Do you mean "999 X 999 + 998 + 1"?

I've seen that question a lot as a pattern-recognition test [the answer is: 999 X 999 + 998 + 1 = 999 * 999 + 999 = 999 * (999+1) = 999*1000 = 999,000], but I've never seen "999 x 999".

Although, I guess if you want to just test basic math, you could really do any big number times any big number.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:38 PM

570 posts, read 1,731,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Do you mean "999 X 999 + 998 + 1"?

I've seen that question a lot as a pattern-recognition test [the answer is: 999 X 999 + 998 + 1 = 999 * 999 + 999 = 999 * (999+1) = 999*1000 = 999,000], but I've never seen "999 x 999".

Although, I guess if you want to just test basic math, you could really do any big number times any big number.

no, just 999 X 999.

999 X 999 = 999000 - 999 = 998001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland