Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,080,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnboy1084 View Post
Create a phony document, you've already gone this far! it's not hard to doctor a letter or to pay someone off at an overseas company to vouch for you.

REALLY ??? Things go from lying on a application where the worst punishment is termination, to falsifying documentation which can be a serious CRIME.
"they want tax returns or bank statements for the country I was supposedly working in"

Yeah, great advise, at least he wouldn't need a job any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:38 AM

30,319 posts, read 23,800,844 times
This whole thread is full of crap advice except for Trackwatch. OP, go to your other thread...face the reality. Your lying is your own fault and you are going to lose. You keep this up, you are going to lose much, much worse than you are now.

Advising someone to falsify documents and pay someone to vouch for them...you people are insane.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,270,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Hello,
Ok, so started new job in early July. On my resume I did a little bit of padding here and there. Mostly to do with start dates of jobs etc. I was unemployed for almost 2 years and created a job overseas to cover time spent unemployed. Believe me folks when I tell you that employers really dont take too kindly to extended periods of unemployment in this day and age. So, in early July , spoke with the company HR and did interview for job. Contacted a few days later to say that they wanted me to start in a weeks time. Now, I was wrong to ever think that they conduct a background check and then make the job offer. At least that is how I thought it went. But now 5 weeks into job, I get email from HR "we need to see you". All kinds of alarm bells went off. Then I went to the HR office, was told there that there were some questions that have arisen from backgroud check. Some like college diploma which can be produced to them. No prob there. Then they send me very pointed email asking for this and that. Namely, offer letter and pay stub for job overseas / tax return for that job. The whole tone of the email is very formal in all. Now there is little to no chance I can ever produce an offer letter along with pay stub etc. as I really only put that down to cover my extended period of unemployment.
At this point, I know things are getting serious and I am looking at my options. For anybody that has knowledge of such matters, please leave some feedback. And I know I know, it was stupid thing to put down in first place. But since company is no longer in business and impossible to contact them I thought it would be ok. Desparate times folks, call for drastic measures.
Now I am just thinking in terms of remaining paychecks in this gig. I have a gut feeling to bail now and avoid more problems in the future. If promotion comes up this could be a real issue.
Last thing is that HR was really intense and more than I thought they would be.
I guess the qst remains, since I can in no way produce a pay stub or tax return for overseas job, and they want proof as they noted in their message to me, is it too wishful thinking to believe they will just overlook this red flag in my background check.
Quit now and look for another job or wait till they fire me?
WOW did you ever open a can of worms! I understand that companies don't usually care to hire someone who has been out of work for a long time but 2 years, that is not really anymore than 24 months. Not so long. I would go down to H.R. with your "heart on your sleeve" and be 100% honest and explain your fear in not being hired and also let them know how wrong you knew you were but that you were absolutely at your wits end looking for work. Let them know it is not your normal method of operation to lie your way into a position, you really like your job and will not ever do anything like this again..apologize! If you still get fired, you have learned a lesson. If they keep you, be grateful and work twice as hard. AND...don't EVER do anything but be honest and tell the truth from hereon in. I always have told my son that no matter what position you find yourself in in life and no matter what you know the consequences are going to be, walk in head first and fess up and if you are wrong apologize...if you are not wrong and are still catching hell then walk away..either way, face the music. You created this "dance" so now it is time to pay the piper! Good luck.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,161,550 times
I would simply respond to HR's requests for docs "I cannot procure the docs you are requesting." and leave the decision to them as to how to proceed. If you are lucky, it could be that they are merely ensuring completeness of their background checks and not getting ready to fire you.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,769,079 times
You have already provided your current employer with a reason to terminate you anytime they want. If I were you, I'd get out now and don't do such a stupid thing again.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,292,105 times
I've got it!

Turn the tables on HR by demandung THEM to show you THEIR former paystubs!

That outta shut them up

Old 08-11-2012, 05:16 PM

206 posts, read 571,390 times
Lie your rear-end off, boy!

The Supremes recently decided it's OK to create a complete fantasy about your military duty, so you have a long way to go to top that!

The first thing a small child learns on their own is a little creative scripting makes life so much easier

Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,861,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I've got it!

Turn the tables on HR by demandung THEM to show you THEIR former paystubs!

That outta shut them up
Birth certificates and tax returns, too. It's an election year.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 AM

310 posts, read 652,150 times
It is unfortunate you have backed yourself into a corner in this manner.

There may be but one option left:

Say Hello to My Little Friend - Scarface (8/8) Movie CLIP (1983) HD - YouTube

Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 AM

261 posts, read 497,813 times
Seems like you've sold your soul and integrity to the corporate world. Congrats! We're all right behind you reluctantly, as that seems to be the only way to survive ON THEIR TERMS....So as one other poster stated, you've already carved your path. Sad.

bu if you think this is bad, just wait til the GOP get in office. We can all say G'Bye to any possible chance at compassion from anyone.

...and shame on those of you promoting this unethical behavior. Please OP, be true to yourself, stop selling out, and get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland