Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 36,483 times

Advertisements

I only see 7-8 listings for apartments in San Mateo/Burlingame/Millbrae in the $1500-$1600 range and this is through Craigslist. Can anyone recommend other on-line places to search that may have more results? Or is the best thing just to head up there one weekend and drive around looking for places with "For Rent" signs?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianGuard View Post
I only see 7-8 listings for apartments in San Mateo/Burlingame/Millbrae in the $1500-$1600 range and this is through Craigslist. Can anyone recommend other on-line places to search that may have more results? Or is the best thing just to head up there one weekend and drive around looking for places with "For Rent" signs?

Thanks
If an apt opening is going to be advertised online, it's almost always advertised on Craigslist. Some larger complexes will show up on sites like "rent.com" or "apartments.com," but often you'll find that these places will also advertise on Craigslist.

However, I have found that there are also some complexes/apartments that don't advertise online on places like Craigslist (they might have websites, but they won't advertise openings). And there are also some places for rent that are pretty much only by word of mouth or advertise by putting out a "for rent" sign (this is how I found my apartment in the downtown San Mateo area).

If you're not finding things in your price range, you can try checking it out in person. But I also imagine that there might be more apartments if you had a higher range (I'm assuming you're looking at 1BR apts). Unfortunately, rents have gone up quite a bit in the last year and a half. In 2010, you could have certainly found a lot of listings in your range, but things have gone up a bit.

Either way, it can't hurt to look in person either at the Craigslist ads (open houses, etc.) or to look at areas that might have apartments with "for rent" signs throughout some of the denser neighborhoods (near downtown San Mateo and Burlingame you'll find a lot of this). Also, it might help if you can try to generate a list of apt complexes in the area (advertising on Craigslist or not) so if you do check out the area, you can call or visit them to see if they have any openings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland