Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 AM

304 posts, read 871,350 times

Advertisements

I am possibly attending Hastings Law School next fall. I know a lot can change between now and then, but San Francisco seems really expensive, and I would like to know if getting a studio or efficiency in a relatively safe area, near public transportation is even possible for my price.

I am a 23 yr old single male. I will not have a car so public transportation is vital. I would prefer to live in an area with decent nightlife and around other grad students and young professionals, but these things are not vital.

I would prefer to have a 45 min commute or less to campus. I know its tough, but I am admittedly unfamiliar with the layout of SF, and could use some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 AM

21,844 posts, read 25,121,078 times
No. Roommates or live around Lake Merritt in Oakland.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No. Roommates or live around Lake Merritt in Oakland.
This sums it up. There aren't many apartments in the bay area for under $1k. You can look in Temescal/Lake Merrit and probably find something. (These are ok to pretty good areas, stay east of about shattuck)

Depending on how far you are from BART, your commute will be around 25-40 minutes (including travel time to BART).

Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
I am possibly attending Hastings Law School next fall. I know a lot can change between now and then, but San Francisco seems really expensive, and I would like to know if getting a studio or efficiency in a relatively safe area, near public transportation is even possible for my price.

I am a 23 yr old single male. I will not have a car so public transportation is vital. I would prefer to live in an area with decent nightlife and around other grad students and young professionals, but these things are not vital.

I would prefer to have a 45 min commute or less to campus. I know its tough, but I am admittedly unfamiliar with the layout of SF, and could use some help.
No. You will NOT be able to.

You will need roommates.

Or you can call the Single Room Occupancy (SRO) hotels in the mission district to see if you can stay in one of them. It's usually $200 per week.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
Nope. Impossible. NEVER going to happen.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
Quote:

So, live some place out in the suburbs near a BART station. The BART Civic Center station is about 2 blocks from Hastings. BART - Station List

Or, you can take Caltrain from the peninsula to SF System Map and take a muni light rail to the same Civic Center station.

You probably can find a studio for $1000 out in the suburbs but it won't be fancy and there won't be much in the way of nightlife.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM

404 posts, read 860,378 times
Quote:
#1: San Francisco is expensive #2: there is no such thing as a safe area in San Francisco #3: One thousand dollars for a studio or efficiency? maybe in the Tenderloin District which is close to Hastings Law School,seedy part of town but there still might be some rentals there under one grand.

Quote:
Transportation shouldn't be a problem, you might want to try walking to school, if you find something in your price range anywhere in the city, good luck. I don't know if I would consider Polk Street or Larkin street decent nightlife.

Quote:
On your address bar type in San Francisco Map Hastings Law School and go from there,then go to Google Earth San Francisco and you can figure out your bearings, east west north south.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,457 times
You might be able to find some studios for under $1000 in the Tenderloin but it's a crappy area and there probably aren't any at that price anymore. Even a few years ago there were studios there for like $950, I'm sure it's a few hundred more by now. I'd definitely look into Oakland if you want your own studio, and Berkeley for roommates. For some reason Berkeley has way more cheap roommate rentals than Oakland but individual apartments there are expensive, and Oakland has cheap individual apartments. Definitely check out the Temescal and Grand Lake areas in Oakland.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
There is the occasional in-law unit in the Outer Sunset or Ingleside for under $1K, but you'd be better off living with roommates somewhere else.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM

86 posts, read 247,027 times
Hastings has its own student apartment building just down the street from the classroom buildings. It is called McAllister Tower and was originally built as a fancy highrise hotel (dancing in the topmost room with amazing views) in the 1940's. It has been refurbished with a variety of floor plans and has a full gym. College web site should have information. The school is in the Tenderloin neighborhood but it is close to BART, the main public library, Heart of the City farmers market and various cultural facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland