Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 12,709 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I spent lots of time reading around this forum and others about San Leandro, have some ideas about the area but still want to ask for advice.

Basically I'm working in Santa Clara and my wife just got a job in Emeryville, so we decided to move to somewhere in between, prefer closer to my wife's work. We don't have kid (yet) and mostly not interested in walking or biking outside, so probably we worry most about break-ins (car/house). The apartment complex we are considering is the Chateau Manor on Lewelling Blvd, San Leandro. The apartment itself looks good to us, has quite good reviews online. However, the surrounding area, houses, streets, are not that great. We also read reports about a robbery at the gas station next to it.

So should we take it or forget about it? We might think about having kid and buying a house in the next 1.5 - 2 years, and probably consider Dublin or Pleasanton at that point, but for now is San Leandro good enough?

Thanks, I appreciate all advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM

337 posts, read 733,340 times
The Washington Manor area of San Leandro isn't that great. I don't know if I would want to move to an apartment complex in the Manor. I've driven by Chateau Manor many times but I don't know anything about it. I actually do like the Chinese Supermarket down Lewelling (Foodnet) a lot and Porky's Pizza.

The Northeast part of San Leandro is better (Estudillo Estates, Broadmoor, Assumption Parish, Bay-O-Vista). Renting a small single unit ranch house in Washington Manor would be better than renting in an apartment complex. I don't know how much more expensive it would be.

Maybe you should consider renting in Castro Valley or Union City. The commute down 880 south in the morning will be terrible either way. Your wife will be okay. Traffic northbound isn't as bad. She can also take public transportation (BART to MacArthur Station and then the Emery-Go-Round shuttle).

Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
If you're both driving to work, I'd look at Alameda--low crime, but a much more pleasant environment than Lewelling Blvd. I know at least one person who commutes from Alameda to San Jose, I'm sure there are others.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM

Athleticsfan: Why renting a single unit ranch house is better than an apartment complex? In terms of safety, I usually consider an apartment complex is safer (lots of people around, while in a ranch house it is like me alone). Do I miss something?

Thanks Carlite, we'll consider Alameda as well.

I actually just moved to the Bay area 6 months ago, kind of new to the area.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 PM

337 posts, read 733,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cppc View Post
Athleticsfan: Why renting a single unit ranch house is better than an apartment complex? In terms of safety, I usually consider an apartment complex is safer (lots of people around, while in a ranch house it is like me alone). Do I miss something?
I actually think it is the other way around in this case. If you rent in a large apartment complex in a not so great working class neighborhood, you will face issues like noise, bad neighbors, etc.

If you live in a house you would have less of those issues. Your neighbors will be mostly home owners and less trashy. And there are some nice, quiet and relatively safe streets with houses in Washington Manor. They are more towards the bay. I am fairly familiar with this area because I have a friend who grew up on Breckenridge and a family friend who still lives on Mendocino.

As I mentioned in my last post, you should look at the other side of San Leandro - Estudillo area. Only slightly more expensive than Washington Manor (rental wise at least).

Alameda is another good suggestion but more pricey. Traffic is going to be bad either way. Fremont might be another place should at least take a look at. You would be closer to Santa Clara and your wife can take BART to Emeryville (via the Emery-Go-Round). The Fremont BART lot fills up by 7am everyday though.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 PM

Thanks. A bit more pricey is actually not a big problem to us, but I could not find any renting around the north east area of SL. My wife does not like taking BART from Fremont because of the parking, and because taking bus to her work from BART station is also another 15 minutes. The problem with Alameda is being too far to my work. Right now I'm looking more in Union City. Just miss a good one today. The missing fish is always a big one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland