Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM

587 posts, read 1,411,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daisy View Post
I owned property in Marin. I know the area pretty well, i just didn't venture there for no reason.
But you owned a home in wealthy lily White Marin. Unless you lived in the hood in Marin City (which you did not), you probably have never spent any real time in Lakeview, Hunter's Point, Sunnydale, Alehmany etc. in SF. Because you have absolutely no reason to! Unless you are a drug addict or maybe visiting friends for a short time; which is highly unlikely.

And yes, SF has a huge problem with hard drugs like crack and heroin. In fact, SF tops Forbes list of the worst hard drug abuse cities in America right alongside infamous historically crime-ridden American drug capitals like Baltimore, New Orleans and DC. That being said, there are quite a few ghetto areas in SF where daily life on the street is like a West Coast version of The Wire. I know being from Lakeview. Anybody who has strolled through the Tenderloin can confirm this:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/20/nar...s_slide_7.html

But by in large, wealthy, er, lighter skinned folks from the wealthy suburbs do not visit the worst parts of the big city in their given metro area unless they are crack/dope addicts. A wealthy White guy from Bronxville in Westchester County in New York has most probably never been inside of the projects in the South Bronx or Brownsville in Brooklyn. A rich preppy White girl from Beverly Hills has no business being in Watts in L.A. unless she wants to be turned out. A rich white dude from Bethesda or Potomac in rich Montgomery County, Maryland has probably never spent any time in Anacostia or Trinidad in SE/NE Washington, DC unless he is a drug addict going to buy crack or dope.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 12-27-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Against my better judge I will post a comment as a fourth generation Oakland resident...

Oakland is most often the parole release point for the county and often Northern California.

So, right off the bat, there is an influx of people with criminal pasts being dumped on Oakland Streets.

Not fair... but, it is fact.

Also as pointed out... Oakland cannot be described by any one neighborhood. It is or was the most diverse city in the country...

A growing percentage of crime is done by outsiders... those that don't live in Oakland.

Piedmont, a city 100% inside the city of Oakland has a very low crime rate...

Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I don't quite understand how people who have spent 10 minutes in Oakland have a more valid opinion on the city than people who live there. But on the flip side, people who have visited a place or shopped there or worked there can not share observations on said place, if that place is not called Oakland, without being criticized.

Last edited by jade408; 12-27-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
But also the residents of Oakland tend to have a natural bias for their own city. Who wants to hear about the constant bashing or homicide talk right?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM

326 posts, read 529,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
But you owned a home in wealthy lily White Marin. Unless you lived in the hood in Marin City (which you did not), you probably have never spent any real time in Lakeview, Hunter's Point, Sunnydale, Alehmany etc. in SF. Because you have absolutely no reason to! Unless you are a drug addict or maybe visiting friends for a short time; which is highly unlikely.

And yes, SF has a huge problem with hard drugs like crack and heroin. In fact, SF tops Forbes list of the worst hard drug abuse cities in America right alongside infamous historically crime-ridden American drug capitals like Baltimore, New Orleans and DC. That being said, there are quite a few ghetto areas in SF where daily life on the street is like a West Coast version of The Wire. I know being from Lakeview. Anybody who has strolled through the Tenderloin can confirm this:

In Pictures: America's Illegal Drug Capitals - San Francisco, Calif. - Forbes.com

But by in large, wealthy, er, lighter skinned folks from the wealthy suburbs do not visit the worst parts of the big city in their given metro area unless they are crack/dope addicts. A wealthy White guy from Bronxville in Westchester County in New York has most probably never been inside of the projects in the South Bronx or Brownsville in Brooklyn. A rich preppy White girl from Beverly Hills has no business being in Watts in L.A. unless she wants to be turned out. A rich white dude from Bethesda or Potomac in rich Montgomery County, Maryland has probably never spent any time in Anacostia or Trinidad in SE/NE Washington, DC unless he is a drug addict going to buy crack or dope.
What does being a white guy have to do with this discussion?

SF property by and large exceeds home values in Marin and there's a heck of a lot of nonwhite residents in those neighborhoods.

Believe it or not, I live in Marin because I got priced out of SF and didn't want to live in the East Bay. Guess that makes me a "racist".

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't quite understand how people who have spent 10 minutes in Oakland have a more valid opinion on the city than people who live there. But on the flip side, people who have visited a place or shopped there or worked there can not share observations on said place, if that place is not called Oakland, are criticized.
What I find most interesting is this insistence by outsiders that since our address is Oakland, we therfore are not qualified to feel that where we live is 'better' or offers a superior quality of life to anywhere else--which is laughable because Oakland has some of the best neigborhoods in the Bay Area.

And its one thing to be looked down upon by a Palo Alto snob or Danville snob, but someone who basically lives in the parking lot of Candlestick Park? Hahahahahahaha-um NO.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Why are you laughing at folks living in the "parking lot" of candlestick park? Obviously those folks couldn't afford the better part of town, which precisely drove many former SF residents to the east bay. You HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Bay View residents is like me HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH many of Oakland's flat lands.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Crime rate...

Like the man I caught from San Leandro dumping a pick-up full of trash down on Edes ave?

Like the Castro Valley couple I caught on Golf Links dumping trash into the creek?

Like many of the "Occupy Oakland" crowd that came from outside to trash our city?

Like the Fruitvale Bart shooting that had absolutely nothing to do with Oakland or Oakland residents?

Think about it... what would the rest of the Bay Area be like without Oakland to pick on?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Why are you laughing at folks living in the "parking lot" of candlestick park? Obviously those folks couldn't afford the better part of town, which precisely drove many former SF residents to the east bay. You HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Bay View residents is like me HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH many of Oakland's flat lands.
Apparently it irks or bewilders outsiders that Oaklanders would dare balk at other cities....LMAO.

How dare us....LOL

Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 AM

296 posts, read 625,799 times
I'm originally from Los Angeles (Altadena/Pasadena to be exact), and I've been living in SF for going on 22 years. When I first moved up here, I was surprised at how one could so quickly walk down from the Nob Hill area and within a few blocks be within the Tenderloin.

As far as I know, Oakland has always had a reputation of having a problem with crime. Every year the media hypes up the tally on the number of murders Oakland has. Budget cuts haven't helped.

OP, why do you think Oakland's crime rate is higher than most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland