Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 18,307 times

Advertisements

Why would a city so close to San Fran have such a high crime rate?

Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM

224 posts, read 454,687 times
My guess would be that San Francisco was so pricey that it drove lower income people to Oakland. With lower incomes comes problems and sometimes a certain lifestyle that is more prone to crime. Add to Oakland PD being more corrupt than the usual police department(or so I have heard) and crime rates are inflated because the law enforcement officials are locking people up not only for actual crimes but because of prejudices and possibly to further their careers.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM

That sounds right. One would think the locals would get fed up with this way of living. Not being able to go outside etc. To think it's so close to a world class city, it's sad really.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daisy View Post
Why would a city so close to San Fran have such a high crime rate?
I'm thinking maybe you've never been to San Francisco. SF works hard to keep up its public perception as a safe, clean tourist destination. There are plenty of neighborhoods in SF that are complete s**tholes with high crime.

Oakland also happens to have some very upscale high-income neighborhoods and is not a completely crime-ridden cesspool.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
The police in Oakland have no teeth or numbers, so its easier for moral-less people to steal than work.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm thinking maybe you've never been to San Francisco. SF works hard to keep up its public perception as a safe, clean tourist destination. There are plenty of neighborhoods in SF that are complete s**tholes with high crime.

Oakland also happens to have some very upscale high-income neighborhoods and is not a completely crime-ridden cesspool.
San francisco's crime is never mentioned and i never see it when i go up there. So to compare it to oakland is a little extreme

Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
San francisco's crime is never mentioned and i never see it when i go up there. So to compare it to oakland is a little extreme
jeez...

Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:

Go visit the Tenderloin or Bayview/Hunter's Point and come back and tell us what you think. Crime in SF is on the local news all the time...home invasions, homicides, violent armed robberies, extreme rioting in the streets after the Giants won the World Series...etc.

I'm not trying to call you out, but I just think you're coming across as somebody who isn't familiar with the city at all and don't really know what you're talking about. Tourism is a major part of SF's economy, so SF wants to maintain a certain image. Locals know different though. It's actually easier to avoid the ghetto in Oakland than it can be in SF. SF's blocks vary greatly and somebody unfamiliar with the city could easily end up in a bad part of town by mistake. It's much easier to avoid Oakland's bad areas.

You probably won't find these images on any San Francisco travel website...

Sunnydale

Tenderloin

Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post

Yup.

Go to 16th and Mission on BART, walk around on Mission and S. Van Ness and report back to us on the beautiful, elegant city by the Bay. Try not to walk in any human feces.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Why are you recommending me go out of my way to visit slum area's of SF to prove that SF is like Oakland? Obviously it's not. Tourist want to go to SF not Oakland. I used to own a home in Marin, I'm well aware of SF's higher crime area's. They are NOTHING like Oakland.

I'd also like to add, Oakland is majority lower income and run down. SF has tiny pockets you have to go out of your way to get to. Oakland has huge large flat area's of impoverished crime filled area's. With pockets of decent ones, it's the opposite of SF in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland