Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:23 AM

34 posts, read 78,103 times

Advertisements

So I know there is fog and its chilly but if you were to or are living in Daly City where is the best area as in safe, near amenities and good standard of accommodation??

I have read alot about awful noise being over the flight path from SFO.. Is every area as bad?

It seems to be one of the more affordable options close to the city. Sunset is ridiculous and other places seem the same. Dont want to have to commute over the bay bridge either.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Broadmoor or Westlake areas are very nice. I don't believe that you'd hear any airplane noise at all and there's a large shopping center nearby.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
Most of Daly City is fine except for the "Original" Daly City area, which seems kinda seedy.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I like the area along John Daly Blvd between 35 and 280.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I just recently moved to San Bruno (off hwy 35) but I spent ten years in Daly City living near Westmoor High School / Skyline Plaza. This was a very pleasant area to live in and I don't recall noise ever being an issue. It's close to both Serramonte shoppping center and the relatively recently redone Westlake shopping center. Where I'm living in San Bruno is pretty nice as well with the added benefit of a large reduction in fog. The only portion of Daly City I'd avoid is the edge that is closer to San Francisco. Anything on Mission (particularly top of the hill and on) is a bit worse.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
I don't think Daly City has a lot of plane noise. Part of SSF and San Bruno does have issues with that. Daly City is farther away from the airport and most of the area is not under a direct flight path.

I've lived in the "top of the hill" area near the junction of John Daly and Hillside for several months, and didn't have a safety issue either. Sure the area looks rundown except for my apartment which is new, but crime seems to be rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
So I know there is fog and its chilly but if you were to or are living in Daly City where is the best area as in safe, near amenities and good standard of accommodation??

I have read alot about awful noise being over the flight path from SFO.. Is every area as bad?

It seems to be one of the more affordable options close to the city. Sunset is ridiculous and other places seem the same. Dont want to have to commute over the bay bridge either.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2012, 04:06 AM

34 posts, read 78,103 times
Thanks for all the replies. The more I look into Daly City the more I actually like the thought of living there. Are looking at places on King Drive area ( I think thats what its called)..

Its so hard to pick a place to live when you have no idea about the city! We were hell bent on the sunset but that just seems too far out of reach rent wise and you get more bank for your buck in Daly City. Also there seems to be more amenities here than the Sunset too.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
The great thing about Daly City is the proximity to downtown SF. If you are close to a freeway you can get to SF literally in 15 mins using 280 or 101 north. And Bart is always an option as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
Thanks for all the replies. The more I look into Daly City the more I actually like the thought of living there. Are looking at places on King Drive area ( I think thats what its called)..

Its so hard to pick a place to live when you have no idea about the city! We were hell bent on the sunset but that just seems too far out of reach rent wise and you get more bank for your buck in Daly City. Also there seems to be more amenities here than the Sunset too.
I'll also say that although the thought of living in SF may seem attractive (particularly for a new comer) it may not be the best option. I grew up in SF and lived there up until the end of 1999 when my family moved to Daly City where I went to high school. I graduated in 2004 at age 18 and although I'm only 25 now, even at 22 I thought I wanted to move to SF. I still go into the city once a week (on weekends) and love going there for a night out. As far as living situation, my perspective has changed. Considering that rent in the city is very high, traffic is poor (particularly during peak times) and parking is awful, I would not live directly in SF unless I worked in the city and public transport was easily available. Even then, you can catch the BART train from Daly City and be in downtown SF in under 30 minutes. I prefer living on the Peninsula as all the surrounding cities are very accessible and even during peak times I can get from my work in San Mateo leaving at 5pm to my apartment in San Bruno in about 15 minutes on hwy 280. Since I only go into the city at night for dinner or night clubs, traffic is fairly light and parking is more manageable. Living on the peninsula gives you the best of both worlds, including a quiet/safe place to sleep at night.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 23,064 times
Daly City is looking a better alternative than the east bay, depending on your job situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland