Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 34,805 times

Advertisements

Hello everone!

I wrote in this forum before moving to California and now we landed in the Bay and in a busy house hunting!

We are a family with 2 kids of 5 and 6 years old (so Eligible for Elementary school)

the rental market is apparently quite tight and crazy at the moment but we saw some nice properties in San Mateo (and Burlingame) and Walnut Creek (and Lafayette)

We like these 2 places so far cause they have a nice walkable downtown with shops and restaurants and the schools rating is pretty good. Housing here is in our budget.

I know that could be difficult to compare these 2 places but I would like to know your opinion about it from a family's point of view!

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
They are pretty similar. Different weather and ethnic mix. Commuting depends on where you need to go. WC is sort of more upscale.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,992,286 times
Walnut Creek has a newer feel..upscale, cleaner, tidier safe suburb feel. Weather gets hotter and it's probably not quite as diverse overall. There's a very nice outdoor mall and a nice tree lined downtown with more independent shops.

San Mateo seems more established, seemingly fewer families (more singles), less upscale (but now days probably even more wealthy due to the proximity to tech industry), and has better ethnic restaurant choices, imo.. Cute walkable downtown. Weather is better..less hot in the summer but occasionally gets the fog.

They are both similar and dissimilar at the same time. Both are nice.

Your choice really needs to come down to where your jobs are located. I wouldn't live in Walnut Creek if your job is located on the Peninsula. I wouldn't live in San Mateo if your job is in Oakland or Emeryville.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Thank you!

Job is in San Leadro

Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
You can avoid a bridge toll by living in Walnut Creek. Also I feel WC is better connected to SF with BART as its is more frequent than Caltrain and has more/better located stops in the city.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
No question, live in Walnut Creek...compared to San Mateo.

Also look at San Ramon, shorter commute to San Leandro.

WC is a bit of a pain to get to San Leandro.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
If having a nice, walkable downtown is important then San Ramon wouldn't be a good place to live. Commute would be easier though to SL.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Yes walkable nice downtown is a must.

The commute can be a bit longer if the place to live has a nice city and good schools

Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
I personally really like where I live in San Mateo (downtown) and think it's a great town, and I also really like Walnut Creek. For your particular job situation, I would recommend Walnut Creek to you.

Walnut Creek and San Mateo are quite similar, but WC is actually a bit closer to Palo Alto in terms of "upscale" shopping (I personally could care less about overpriced fashion stores, so this isn't really an issue for me). The difference there, though, is that Palo Alto is way more expensive than both San Mateo and Walnut Creek. San Mateo has a great downtown, but it's much less shopping-oriented, and more food oriented (some great restaurants there).

If your job was on the peninsula, San Mateo would be at the top of the places I'd recommend to you, but since it's in San Leandro, Walnut Creek is my recommendation. There's no reason to make you cross a bridge...It's always best to avoid cross a bridge to get to work, when possible.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM

An Agent brought us today to Danville and the houses were really nice... but not sure about the location.
Any experience?

And going north... anyone from Piedmont that can share a feedback?

Thank you! We are very new to the area which is huge... so trying to select the ones that match our priorities
(walkable downtown, high score
on elementary district, Bart close by)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland